What's new

India-Myanmar-Thailand Highway Becomes Operational

SRP

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Myanmar Vice President U Nyan Tun, Thai Deputy Prime Minister Somkid Jatusripitak and Chairman of the Kayin National Union General Saw Mutu Sae Po attended an inaugural ceremony of the service on Sunday, Xinhua reported.

With the 25.6-km-long section becoming operational, travel time between Thinggan Nyenaung and Kawkareik will be reduced from three hours to 45 minutes. The construction of the Asian highway section started in 2012 with the assistance of Thailand. The Asian highway runs from Moreh in India to Thailand’s Maesot via Myanmar’s Tamu, Mandalay and Myawaddy.

The section, also part of the East-West economic corridor of the Greater Mekong Subregion, will not only enhance trade between Myan- mar and Thailand, but also contribute to better links among people in the region. A cornerstone laying ceremony was also held at Myawaddy on Sunday for the building of Myanmar-Thailand Friendship Bridge No.2 to link Thailand’s Maesot with Myanmar’s Myawaddy.

Notably, it has been quite sometime that Myanmar and India has been talking about introducing bus service between Imphal and Mandalay.

India-Myanmar-Thailand Highway Becomes Operational » Northeast Today

Myanmar Vice President U Nyan Tun, Thai Deputy Prime Minister Somkid Jatusripitak and Chairman of the Kayin National Union General Saw Mutu Sae Po attended an inaugural ceremony of the service on Sunday, Xinhua reported.

With the 25.6-km-long section becoming operational, travel time between Thinggan Nyenaung and Kawkareik will be reduced from three hours to 45 minutes. The construction of the Asian highway section started in 2012 with the assistance of Thailand. The Asian highway runs from Moreh in India to Thailand’s Maesot via Myanmar’s Tamu, Mandalay and Myawaddy.

The section, also part of the East-West economic corridor of the Greater Mekong Subregion, will not only enhance trade between Myan- mar and Thailand, but also contribute to better links among people in the region. A cornerstone laying ceremony was also held at Myawaddy on Sunday for the building of Myanmar-Thailand Friendship Bridge No.2 to link Thailand’s Maesot with Myanmar’s Myawaddy.

Notably, it has been quite sometime that Myanmar and India has been talking about introducing bus service between Imphal and Mandalay.

India-Myanmar-Thailand Highway Becomes Operational » Northeast Today

If you are travelling from Guwahati to Imphal and Moreh, via Dimapur, by road, you will actually be driving on the Asian Highway (AH-1), which is a part of the India-Myanmar-Thailand Trilateral Highway that will connect Moreh to Mae Sot in Thailand, via Mandalay and Yangon in Myanmar. If you did decide to take the roadtrip, it would take 14 days to cover the 4,500 km once-in-a-life drive.

# You can watch the setting sun over Guwahati. It looks a bit like this.
guwahati_city_wikimedia%20commons_1441180680_725x725.jpg

# You can have a stare off with some really angry clouds in Shillong
shillong%20-%20holidayiq_1441180680_725x725.jpg

# You can visit a city from the 9th Century - Bagan, considered the starting point of the country of Mayanmar
bagan%20-%20roughguides_1441180949_725x725.jpg

# Road through Mandalay...
mandalay_1441180949_725x725.jpg

# You can see one of the massive pagodas in Naypyidaw, Mayanmar's beautiful but hauntingly empty capital city.
naypyidaw-%202nified_1441180949_725x725.jpg

# And then, Yangon (formerly Rangoon) where Bahadur Shah Zafar was kept in captivity by the British.
yangon%20-%20reuters_1441180949_725x725.jpg

# Or just gaze out at Bang Pa In Royal Palace, Thailand before heading to Bangkok.
bang-pa-in-royal-palace-wikimedia%20commons_1441181273_725x725.jpg

# Bangkok, Thailand - if your life hasn't changed by the time you have arrived here, you've done something wrong.
bang-boomsbeat_1441181529_725x725.jpg

@somsak @Aung Zaya This trip is on my bucket list!

If you are travelling from Guwahati to Imphal and Moreh, via Dimapur, by road, you will actually be driving on the Asian Highway (AH-1), which is a part of the India-Myanmar-Thailand Trilateral Highway that will connect Moreh to Mae Sot in Thailand, via Mandalay and Yangon in Myanmar. If you did decide to take the roadtrip, it would take 14 days to cover the 4,500 km once-in-a-life drive.

# You can watch the setting sun over Guwahati. It looks a bit like this.
guwahati_city_wikimedia%20commons_1441180680_725x725.jpg

# You can have a stare off with some really angry clouds in Shillong
shillong%20-%20holidayiq_1441180680_725x725.jpg

# You can visit a city from the 9th Century - Bagan, considered the starting point of the country of Mayanmar
bagan%20-%20roughguides_1441180949_725x725.jpg

# Road through Mandalay...
mandalay_1441180949_725x725.jpg

# You can see one of the massive pagodas in Naypyidaw, Mayanmar's beautiful but hauntingly empty capital city.
naypyidaw-%202nified_1441180949_725x725.jpg

# And then, Yangon (formerly Rangoon) where Bahadur Shah Zafar was kept in captivity by the British.
yangon%20-%20reuters_1441180949_725x725.jpg

# Or just gaze out at Bang Pa In Royal Palace, Thailand before heading to Bangkok.
bang-pa-in-royal-palace-wikimedia%20commons_1441181273_725x725.jpg

# Bangkok, Thailand - if your life hasn't changed by the time you have arrived here, you've done something wrong.
bang-boomsbeat_1441181529_725x725.jpg

@somsak @Aung Zaya This trip is on my bucket list!
dont forget to ride balloon over Bagan... bro
Best time is dawn and evening.. :D

Bagain-ballon.jpg

18111873115_53dcafd237_b.jpg

Last edited:
I want to do this on a bike. I am pretty sure 4500 kms can be done a lot quicker than 14 days, unless its all hilly roads.

@Syed.Ali.Haider want to join? :)

In my case, I'll parcel the bike to Guwahati and probably start from there. A trip through Sikkim and Bhutan has been on the cards anyways.

What about Visas and Carnets (bike visas)?

Myanmar and Thailand and even Laos in the route offer Visa on Arrival to Indian tourists - pretty convenient to get a tourist visa.
Countries Offering Visa on Arrival for Indians | MakeMyTrip Blog

11987117_10153605939543270_5300051695613405473_n.jpg

A grazing pasture awaits your journey ahead
shutterstock_239869228.jpg

Silk Route, Sikkim

Of stupendous vegetation and colossal ethnicities
Ravangla, Sikkim

Reaching Assam, Nagaland and Manipur through the same beautiful escapade, your next destination lies across the border, perched with utter grace.

Of rolling glory and gilded pagodas scattered everywhere
Bagan, Mayanmar

And as you begin end the atypical feeling in your heart, you will encounter this…

Plunging waterfall that emancipates breathtaking view

And then comes the architectural masterpiece

Laos

Bidding adieu to all this can be difficult, we firmly understand, but you must gear up for another marvellous feat

There’s room for everything and everyone in Thailand
Start with witnessing the marvels within your country and slowly take strides for a happening worth killing for.​

And then comes the architectural masterpiece
Laos

Wow!

But thanks to Rahul Gandhi, any married biker is going to be saddled with a wife with raised eyebrows, for a ride like this.

In one of the maps, besides the route in blue, there are tow alternate routes in grey as well.

One of my friends with a group went for a 5 day biking trip to Thailand. Hired bikes there. A Kawasaki Versys 650. Dirt cheap.

What I'm planning is a lot bigger though. Overland over 4 countries.

I want to do this on a bike. I am pretty sure 4500 kms can be done a lot quicker than 14 days, unless its all hilly roads.

In my case, I'll parcel the bike to Guwahati and probably start from there. A trip through Sikkim and Bhutan has been on the cards anyways.

That would be an AWESOME trip!

Yeah..!! :D they were shot for tourism promotion...

Even so, for us Indian bikers, we are boxed in by Pakistan on our west and China to the north thanks to them occupying Tibet by force since 1962. Our one land bridge to Afghanistan and the rest of central Asia (and for me, to Iran) has been illegally occupied by the Pakistanis since 1948.

And to the south we have the ocean.

This road has really thrown up a huge opportunity of overland exploration for Indian adventure seekers. Car guys and biker. Trekkers. Cyclists. Rallyists. Its literally going to be opening up a huge part of hitherto inaccessible South East Asia to us, and its going to be huge.

Please share photos of Myanmar with us.

I have just received an invite from friends & a cousin to join them in this trip.

We are working out details & logistics.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom