What's new

India-Myanmar-Thailand Highway Becomes Operational

If you are travelling from Guwahati to Imphal and Moreh, via Dimapur, by road, you will actually be driving on the Asian Highway (AH-1), which is a part of the India-Myanmar-Thailand Trilateral Highway that will connect Moreh to Mae Sot in Thailand, via Mandalay and Yangon in Myanmar. If you did decide to take the roadtrip, it would take 14 days to cover the 4,500 km once-in-a-life drive.

# You can watch the setting sun over Guwahati. It looks a bit like this.
guwahati_city_wikimedia%20commons_1441180680_725x725.jpg

# You can have a stare off with some really angry clouds in Shillong
shillong%20-%20holidayiq_1441180680_725x725.jpg

# You can visit a city from the 9th Century - Bagan, considered the starting point of the country of Mayanmar
bagan%20-%20roughguides_1441180949_725x725.jpg

# Road through Mandalay...
mandalay_1441180949_725x725.jpg

# You can see one of the massive pagodas in Naypyidaw, Mayanmar's beautiful but hauntingly empty capital city.
naypyidaw-%202nified_1441180949_725x725.jpg

# And then, Yangon (formerly Rangoon) where Bahadur Shah Zafar was kept in captivity by the British.
yangon%20-%20reuters_1441180949_725x725.jpg

# Or just gaze out at Bang Pa In Royal Palace, Thailand before heading to Bangkok.
bang-pa-in-royal-palace-wikimedia%20commons_1441181273_725x725.jpg

# Bangkok, Thailand - if your life hasn't changed by the time you have arrived here, you've done something wrong.
bang-boomsbeat_1441181529_725x725.jpg

@somsak @Aung Zaya This trip is on my bucket list!
Thanx for tagging me on this wonderful thread. Cheer Cheer road links to india. We should name this road the cultural links.

I have just received an invite from friends & a cousin to join them in this trip.

We are working out details & logistics.

Do share the details of "things required", and all those pre trip stuff.

And when you come back a detailed report on the road traveled and other guidelines.

Do share the details of "things required", and all those pre trip stuff.

And when you come back a detailed report on the road traveled and other guidelines.

That would be awesome.

Start a separate thread for that please. I've read a couple of blogs (one by a group of Mumbai and Pune Harley riders) but the details were sketchy on the actual logistics and more of a travelogue.

Myanmar and Thailand and even Laos in the route offer Visa on Arrival to Indian tourists - pretty convenient to get a tourist visa.
Countries Offering Visa on Arrival for Indians | MakeMyTrip Blog

11987117_10153605939543270_5300051695613405473_n.jpg

A grazing pasture awaits your journey ahead
shutterstock_239869228.jpg

Silk Route, Sikkim

Of stupendous vegetation and colossal ethnicities

Ravangla, Sikkim

Reaching Assam, Nagaland and Manipur through the same beautiful escapade, your next destination lies across the border, perched with utter grace.

Of rolling glory and gilded pagodas scattered everywhere
Bagan, Mayanmar

And as you begin end the atypical feeling in your heart, you will encounter this…

Plunging waterfall that emancipates breathtaking view

And then comes the architectural masterpiece

Laos

Bidding adieu to all this can be difficult, we firmly understand, but you must gear up for another marvellous feat

There’s room for everything and everyone in Thailand
Start with witnessing the marvels within your country and slowly take strides for a happening worth killing for.​
Thanx for vivid image. Really beautiful.

We are considering the not so heavy kind - Nissan .

Guys are checking our existing dealers / service centers enroute.

The Duster has been ruled out for this reason.

We thought of the Fortuner , have used it in Thailand but not sure of Myanmar.

Still in the melting pot. Plans are for the winters.

We are considering the not so heavy kind - Nissan .

Guys are checking our existing dealers / service centers enroute.

The Duster has been ruler out for this reason.

We thought of the Fortuner , have used it in Thailand but not sure of Myanmar.

Still in the melting pot. Plans are for the winters.

The Terrano is an awesome capable vehicle.

I have the Storme. Also very nice.

The Terrano is an awesome capable vehicle.

I have the Storme. Also very nice.

We are looking at vehicles with service centers .

Not that we ought to need attention but since it is a return trip we expect to do over 10000 Km , hence the need for a service enroute.

@SRP

Shouldn't the highway technically be the India-Myanmar-Laos-Thailand Highway ?

Also, I'm not up to date on the politics surrounding it, but was there any reason why the land route was not extended to Vietnam?

The trade ramifications of that would have been HUGE.

And would have brought India front and center into the maritime trade in the area.

So was there a China angle involved? Just asking. Don't want to derail a lovely picturesque thread with politics, but the map stares me in the face, and the question seems obvious.

A lot more than why it was not extended to say Malaysia, for instance. Indo-Viet relations are also pretty close on a number of fronts, and the warmth has been there for some time now.

Last edited:
@SRP

Shouldn't the highway technically be the India-Myanmar-Laos-Thailand Highway ?

Also, I'm not up to date on the politics surrounding it, but was there any reason why the land route was not extended to Vietnam?

The trade ramifications of that would have been HUGE.

And would have brought India front and center into the maritime trade in the area.

So was there a China angle involved? Just asking. Don't want to derail a lovely picturesque thread with politics, but the map stares me in the face, and the question seems obvious.

A lot more than why it was not extended to say Malaysia, for instance. Indo-Viet relations are also pretty close on a number of fronts, and the warmth has been there for some time now.

Some members here are getting it wrong regarding the alignment. This road is from Moreh (Manipur-Myanmar border) to Mae Sot in Thailand via Mandalay (Myanmar). The correct image for the route is given below.

three-nation-asian-highway-1441002579-51721390.jpg

Some members here are getting it wrong here regarding the alignment. This road is from Moreh at Manipur-Myanmar border to Mae Sot in Thailand via Mandalay in Myanmar. The correct image for the route is given below.

Oh so Laos is not included? Bummer.

@third eye could you confirm once you get deep into the preps?

if u will follow this route , u should go
Mergui Archipelago...

completely undiscovered islands.. about a few visiters for a day got permission to visit there... infrastructure are undergoing and will be next tourist attraction of Myanmar..

index.jpg

des-myeik.jpg

Myeik-Archipelago.jpg

Even so, for us Indian bikers, we are boxed in by Pakistan on our west and China to the north thanks to them occupying Tibet by force since 1962. Our one land bridge to Afghanistan and the rest of central Asia (and for me, to Iran) has been illegally occupied by the Pakistanis since 1948.

And to the south we have the ocean.

This road has really thrown up a huge opportunity of overland exploration for Indian adventure seekers. Car guys and biker. Trekkers. Cyclists. Rallyists. Its literally going to be opening up a huge part of hitherto inaccessible South East Asia to us, and its going to be huge.

Please share photos of Myanmar with us.

Ok bro.. stay tune.. :D

Some members here are getting it wrong regarding the alignment. This road is from Moreh (Manipur-Myanmar border) to Mae Sot in Thailand via Mandalay (Myanmar). The correct image for the route is given below.

Actually it's an elaborate road network called the Asian Highway Network which is supposed to connect all Asian countries - You can very well go to Thailand from India via both Myanmar and Laos by switching the highways under this network.

Asian Highway Network - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Will do.

As of now too many people are in it and so many ideas on how, where, how long to stop etc.

I for one have pulled out my old Military History books ( Defeat into Victory by FM Slim) to refresh all the places in Burma which one read of and see if a look see of those places works out.

Myanmar is left hand drive , this too is leading to lots of discussion - often heated after 8 pm !

Back
Top Bottom