What's new

India irked as China gets Pakistan's strategic Gwadar port

Edevelop

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
NEW DELHI: Pakistan's cabinet formally agreed to hand over the operation of its strategically located Gwadar port to China on Wednesday. This puts in place China's famed "string of pearls" strategy which may have significant implications for India.

On Wednesday, the Pakistan cabinet, in one of its last decisions, transferred the operations responsibility of the Gwadar port from Singapore's PSA (Port of Singapore Authority) International to China's Overseas Port Holdings. This had been agreed some time ago as PSA International and Pakistani navy fell out over land transfers, security issues and lack of infrastructure. PSA had asked to withdraw from the contract and Pakistan had agreed.

In 2011, the Pakistani defence minister had announced in Beijing that Islamabad would transfer ownership to a Chinese company. China had demurred then, but despite the worsening security situation in Balochistan, the Chinese have apparently agreed to take it over. And as the transition in Afghanistan draws near, that region, specially Quetta, which apparently houses top Taliban leaders, is likely to see more violence.

Gwadar was built by China but during its operation by PSA, it barely attracted any commercial traffic. There is also a lot of port development that remains to be built. Pakistan expects China to complete that construction in record time, given its past performance.

More than that, Pakistan expects China to turn Gwadar into a naval base. However, China has its work cut out. A container terminal, rail and road links from the port across Balochistan would need to be built, before China can take advantage of the port itself.

For China, Gwadar could also be a conduit for energy flows into northwestern China, by transporting oil and gas from the port through pipelines that traverse Balochistan and the federal agencies to feed into China's Xinjiang province. As China's oil imports increase, it would prefer to insulate its energy flows from the turbulent waters of the Straits of Malacca and the South China Sea.

Indian ships among others patrol the former as an anti-piracy measure. In the latter, China is involved in a territorial dispute with Vietnam and Philippines among others. In a conflict, it would be easy to shut off China's energy supplies. But not if they can be routed through Gwadar where Pakistan Navy can also add to the security.

According to recent figures, over 60% of China's imported oil travels through the Straits of Hormuz. Having Gwadar under its command would change the security dynamics for China.

As China moves into the Indian Ocean, Gwadar port would be ideal as a staging ground for Chinese ships. China already has a steady presence in Sri Lanka's Hambantota port, it is wooing Maldives, though no port presence is planned yet. China is also building a port in Chittagong, Bangladesh, as well as Sonadiya, near Cox's Bazar.

From the security point of view, India could find itself considerably constrained. It's not for nothing that India has ramped up its relations with Oman, though there is no security presence there yet. India has been pushing to develop the Iranian port of Chahbahar, but that remains a long-term project.

India irked as China gets Pakistan's strategic Gwadar port - The Times of India

All this India irked stuff is getting a bit too rich for my blood -- enough hysterics from the Indian, time to play grown up -- Use Gwadar, no one is stopping you from using Gwadar as well, - Pakistan is no Nepal or Bangladesh, - anyway, hope Indian will realize that it's not 2001, time for shenanigans is past - on the other hand this just may be more Indian media stuff and not official positions

This is a historic step, however a great deal of work is yet to be done. Logistical routes have to be built to link China, C.Asia, Mongolia and Russia.Once its done Pakistan can find itself in the middle of a gold rush initiating as the largest economic shift in human history, only if we the right visionary leadership, we can turn Pakistan into a regional power broker.

All this India irked stuff is getting a bit too rich for my blood -- enough hysterics from the Indian, time to play grown up -- Use Gwadar, no one is stopping you from using Gwadar as well, - Pakistan is no Nepal or Bangladesh, - anyway, hope Indian will realize that it's not 2001, time for shenanigans is past - on the other hand this just may be more Indian media stuff and not official positions

India has a reason to cry, anything that benefits Pakistan is conceived in the Indian psyche,to be a possible threat to India.

Yes I do think this good for India therefore bad for Pakistan and good for Pakistan therefore bad for India, mindset must give way to a more mature and preferably, mutually profitable view - All these things you have outlined, routes to CA, to China, why not also routes to India - Sometimes I must admit that the Indian surprise me with the kinds of ideas that find currency in society.

Yes I do think this good for India therefore bad for Pakistan and good for Pakistan therefore bad for India, mindset must give way to a more mature and preferably, mutually profitable view - All these things you have outlined, routes to CA, to China, why not also routes to India - Sometimes I must admit that the Indian surprise me with the kinds of ideas that find currency in society.

Pakistan has been offering peace deal to India for sometime now. It is up to India to decide. If they think they can use Iran, they are mistaken.

Love to see this baby standing @ Gawadar ;)

Chinese-aircraft-carrier.jpg

No need for anyone to get irked.

Everyone wants influence in Central Asia, which is the reason why the SCO was even created in the first place.

Pakistan has a very unique and geostrategically vital place in the region. Since they form the bridge between Central Asia, South Asia, and the Middle East (and even East Asia too, via the border with China).

Now with Gwadar, for the first time there is the possibility of a land bridge between East Asia and the Persian Gulf + the Arabian Sea. The strategic implications, not just for China but for the entire SCO (including the Central Asian nations) are incredible.

Indians are always mad about something. Anyways we should concentrate on the port and further trade routes. :enjoy:

Indians are always mad about something. Anyways we should concentrate on the port and further trade routes. :enjoy:

The question is what shall we do if Indian instead of co-operating continue to be in the state of confrontation with us all the time? Will China and Pakistan able to do things peacefully in that situation.

The question is what shall we do if Indian instead of co-operating continue to be in the state of confrontation with us all the time? Will China and Pakistan able to do things peacefully in that situation.

The Bhartis will have to learn to grow up and keep that slick Hindu Chanakaya **** to themselves.

I doubt it is any irking going on for long term.

How long can China support a tottering Pakistan just for the sake of irking India is a million dollar question, even US had to give up on its most important asian ally and quit 'irking' India. I know somebody mentioned Pakistan is no Nepal, true, but then the world is relative, and relative to India, Pakistan is well, just Pakistan.

Add to that the fundamental difference between Peoples of China and Pakistan, one is extremely religious, other is extremey atheist, either one will have to change to accommodate the other, and we well know China won't be changing.

Either way India will gain, de-islamized Pakistan would no longer be a threat to India.

Cheers.:pop:

How long can China support a tottering Pakistan just for the sake of irking India is a million dollar question, even US had to give up on its most important asian ally and quit 'irking' India. I know somebody mentioned Pakistan is no Nepal, true, but then the world is relative, and relative to India, Pakistan is well, just Pakistan.

Add to that the fundamental difference between Peoples of China and Pakistan, one is extremely religious, other is extremey atheist, either one will have to change to accommodate the other, and we well know China won't be changing.

Either way India will gain, de-islamized Pakistan would no longer be a threat to India.

No, it is not just to irk India. :no:

That would be a pretty big waste of money, since you guys will just forget it in a few months like every other border incident out there.

Gwadar and Central Asia and the Middle East are more important for our economic and strategic interests.

No, it is not just to irk India. :no:

That would be a pretty big waste of money, since you guys will just forget it in a few months like every other border incident out there.

Gwadar and Central Asia and the Middle East are more important for our economic and strategic interests.

Ahh.. a sane Chinese.

If its not to irk India then the whole premise of the article is wrong, poor Pakistanis happily cheer-leading would be disappointed they missed that chance.

I doubt when the whole pak army is afraid to step into those borderlands, how are your containers gonna pass through, you plan on paying the terrorists off?

And how do you know the next infidels the Mullahs declare Jihad on is not the chinese in the region, after all, you are declared atheists and hardly tolerate Islamism in your own country no?

irked? aren't they working with Iran to develop Chah Bahar?

so what exactly is the issue here, i don't understand. Business is business

our relations with China (our immediate neighbour) are old and established....the same way your ties with Russia are old and established. Of course the people are different but what does different beliefs have to do with it? I mean what logic is that? You indians are dharmic people who believe in multiple deaties of varying types while Russians are predominantly Orthodox Christians.....so does it mean one must question the alliance between both countries?

What you brought up needlessly is actually a testament to how even people with different cultures and practices can still collaborate on various fields (of business, infrastructural or defense nature). They say there are no such things as permanent friends -- but only permanent interests. This wisdom does hold. However Pakistan and China are permanent neighbours and cooperation between both has been going on since early/mid '60s.

as this is a bilateral venture between GoP and PRC govt i dont see why you have to get tangled and bogged down over it.

some posts here display insecurity and immaturity at its finest....grow up

as for naval role -- Pakistani Navy demonstrated its commitment to peace and upholding its international obligations and this was demonstrated by Pak Navy's continued support towards anti-piracy missions in the Arabian Sea as well as during its Command of the Combined Task Force 151 (Command which we still retain to this day)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom