What's new

India drops Israeli LAHAT, will develop own missile for Arjun Mk-2

Whats the point to use missile at ranges less than 1,200 meters?
Obviously the Army doesn't want to wait till the enemy tank to be 1200 m from their position to fire the missile.

Obviously the Army doesn't want to wait till the enemy tank to be 1200 m from their position to fire the missile.
Tank missiles are needed for ranges beyond the effective gun range (i.e. beyond 3-4 km). At ranges less than 1200 meters tank gun has 100% probability. So there is no any need to use the missile there.

Tank missiles are needed for ranges beyond the effective gun range (i.e. beyond 3-4 km). At ranges less than 1200 meters tank gun has 100% probability. So there is no any need to use the missile there.
I think, it would enable better penetration and reduce the chances of a miss due to the scouting ability of the missile. Also a missile could be a better option in a hilly area than a gun because of its different and programmed approach towards the target.
A gun travels straight in projectile motion so there is a higher chance of miss.

I think there are more reasons behind it but this might be one of them.

Well, you know the difference between a gun and a missile, and 1200 m is still a good distance. Also, what if they are out of ammo and has only missiles left:P

I think, it would enable better penetration and reduce the chances of a miss due to the scouting ability of the missile. Also a missile could be a better option in a hilly area than a gun because of its different and programmed approach towards the target.
A gun travels straight in projectile motion so there is a higher chance of miss.

I think there are more reasons behind it but this might be one of them.
At short ranges gun is much much more preferable weapon:

1) Gun has higher probability to hit (100%).
2) Gun is fire and forget, while missile needs to be guided till impact.
3) Gun round is many times faster.
4) Gun round is not affected by any countermeasures.
5) 1200 m is a point blank range for a tank gun. That means u dont even need calculate the elevation to fire, just direct and fire.
6) Gun round is much cheaper.

Thus missile is only a supplementary weapon for long ranges (more than 3 km), where gun has low probability to hit.

Well, you know the difference between a gun and a missile, and 1200 m is still a good distance. Also, what if they are out of ammo and has only missiles left:P
Thats fairy tale scenario, and if it happens missiles hardly help u, because at short ranges enemies with guns will have a huge advantage over ur missiles for reasons I listed above. Also I dont thinks it would be a big problem to improve missile characteristics at short ranges. Simply no one bothered to do it since it useless.

Its like complaining that sniper rifle is not well suited for hand fight.

At short ranges gun is much much more preferable weapon:

1) Gun has higher probability to hit (100%).
2) Gun is fire and forget, while missile needs to be guided till impact.
3) Gun round is many times faster.
4) Gun round is not affected by any countermeasures.
5) 1200 m is a point blank range for a tank gun. That means u dont even need calculate the elevation to fire, just direct and fire.
6) Gun round is much cheaper.

Thus missile is only a supplementary weapon for long ranges (more than 3 km), where gun has low probability to hit.

Thats fairy tale scenario, and if it happens missiles hardly help u, because at short ranges enemies with guns will have a huge advantage over ur missiles for reasons I listed above. Also I dont thinks it would be a big problem to improve missile characteristics at short ranges. Simply no one bothered to do it since it useless.

Its like complaining that sniper rifle is not well suited for hand fight.
I totally agree with you.. thats what i exactly thinking... New MBTs use smoke grenades to get away from laser designated missiles. but it will be harder to get away from the GUN..

I totally agree with you.. thats what i exactly thinking... New MBTs use smoke grenades to get away from laser designated missiles. but it will be harder to get away from the GUN..

But you do realize that the new generation missiles are not just based on laser. There are many ways for homing into a tank like using infrared, radar, thermal etc.

Take the Indian made Nag missile (atgm) for example

Yep, why tanks still carry those very heavy and clumsy guns? Which require complicated loading, recoil, stabilization mechanisms...

The reason is simple: because at typical combat ranges 0-3 km guns have a crucial advantage over missiles. At short ranges the advantage is even more overwhelming.

But you do realize that the new generation missiles are not just based on laser. There are many ways for homing into a tank like using infrared, radar, thermal etc.

Infrared homing missiles are way more expensive and they also prone to jamming and countermeasures. More over u cant lock at ranges beyond 2.5 km and u would need to employ LOAL method with datalink.

Then let me tell you the next generation of counter measures for those you mentioned.
WHat if i use electric motor in my Tank, which Turkey plan(im sure all other EUropean companies also think about it in the future) it will make it invisible to thermal and infrared cameras. Moreover, it can simply be in defensive mode and using APU(auxiliary power unit), it will be invisible thermal or infrared cameras as it doesnt use its engine to fire.
Also, you can simply camouflage with new composite materials(as i know, Turkey displayed some of them in IDEF-2013, its even ready to export, to make it invisible to radar based technologies. or what if the tank doestn
On the other hand, its easy to use hardkill against missiles(which its designed for) instead of the gun(i never heard of it), which can simply ..
What is feel is Arjun doesnt have stabilized turret or goog fire control system to be able to hit the target while moving, so looking for other option to cover it.
Laser designated rocket is useful to hit the target from distance, or basically hit the target which designated by UAV or soldiers.

The 105mm LAHAT will be taken over by a 120mm equivalent.

511e15c5fe4a80e8ab1bd8811d686e06.jpg

22cfe3d6126d51fd7fdb579260b9aadd.jpg

What is feel is Arjun doesnt have stabilized turret or goog fire control system to be able to hit the target while moving, so looking for other option to cover it.

I also think the same thing

why indians didn't buy israeli missiles even after they did dinga dinga dee for you ?

Whats the point to use missile at ranges less than 1,200 meters?

Guns must be more effective and cost efficient at shorter ranges.
It might be possible Army found Lahat too expansive and also wants a contingency plan in place when a tanks do not have right ammo available to take down enemy tanks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom