What's new

India drops Israeli LAHAT, will develop own missile for Arjun Mk-2

INDIAPOSITIVE

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
The homemade Arjun Mk-2 tank has suffered a major setback, with a critical Israeli anti-tank missile to be fitted on it failing to meet the army’s requirements.

The development comes at a time when the defence ministry has set the ball rolling for buying 118 Arjun Mk-2 tanks at a cost of more than Rs. 6,600 crore.

The tank developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) is an upgraded version of the Mk-1 variant, 119 of which have been inducted in the army.

One of the most significant upgrades proposed in the new tank is its missile-firing capability.

However, the failure of the laser homing anti-tank (LAHAT) missile, manufactured by the Israeli Aerospace Industries, will seriously hinder the ongoing project as the DRDO will now have to work on an indigenous missile that can be fired from the tank.

In an exclusive interview to HT, DRDO chief Avinash Chander said, “The LAHAT missile doesn’t figure in our plans anymore. We are dropping it. We have been working on a tube-launched anti-tank missile, which hopefully can be configured for the tank’s cannon.”

The Mk-2 variant is supposed to have nearly 80 improved features over the previous version, including more than 15 major technology upgrades.

Chander said the LAHAT missile did not meet the army’s requirements of engaging targets at ranges of less than 1,200 metres. It has an effective range of 6,000 metres.

The major improvements on the new tank include better firepower, integrated explosive reactive armor, advanced laser warning and countermeasure system, a mine plough, a remotely-operable anti-aircraft weapon, advanced land navigation system and enhanced night vision capabilities.

However, the army may not be able to fully exploit the tank, powered by a German engine, as it is too heavy at 67 tonnes.

The Mk-2 may be hailed as an Indian-made tank but it represents barely 36-38% indigenisation, compared to 60% on the Mk-1. “The indigenous quotient has fallen because the major improvements over Mk-1 required imports,” the DRDO chief said.

The army raised its maiden armoured regiment equipped with Arjun Mk-1 tanks in May 2009, more than 35 years after the project was conceived. The Arjun was earlier plagued with problems concerning its fire control system, suspension and poor mobility.

Currently, Russian T-90s and T-72s are the mainstay of India’s tank fleet.

The LAHAT missile doesn’t figure in our plans anymore. We are dropping it. We have been working on a tube-launched anti-tank missile, which hopefully can be configured for the tank’s cannon.”

Does anyone here has any info about the anti tank missile DRDO is working on ?
Hopefully, they would be able to develop it without too much delay or cost overrun.

The homemade Arjun Mk-2 tank has suffered a major setback, with a critical Israeli anti-tank missile to be fitted on it failing to meet the army’s requirements.

The development comes at a time when the defence ministry has set the ball rolling for buying 118 Arjun Mk-2 tanks at a cost of more than Rs. 6,600 crore.

The tank developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) is an upgraded version of the Mk-1 variant, 119 of which have been inducted in the army.

One of the most significant upgrades proposed in the new tank is its missile-firing capability.

However, the failure of the laser homing anti-tank (LAHAT) missile, manufactured by the Israeli Aerospace Industries, will seriously hinder the ongoing project as the DRDO will now have to work on an indigenous missile that can be fired from the tank.

In an exclusive interview to HT, DRDO chief Avinash Chander said, “The LAHAT missile doesn’t figure in our plans anymore. We are dropping it. We have been working on a tube-launched anti-tank missile, which hopefully can be configured for the tank’s cannon.”

The Mk-2 variant is supposed to have nearly 80 improved features over the previous version, including more than 15 major technology upgrades.

Chander said the LAHAT missile did not meet the army’s requirements of engaging targets at ranges of less than 1,200 metres. It has an effective range of 6,000 metres.

The major improvements on the new tank include better firepower, integrated explosive reactive armor, advanced laser warning and countermeasure system, a mine plough, a remotely-operable anti-aircraft weapon, advanced land navigation system and enhanced night vision capabilities.

However, the army may not be able to fully exploit the tank, powered by a German engine, as it is too heavy at 67 tonnes.

The Mk-2 may be hailed as an Indian-made tank but it represents barely 36-38% indigenisation, compared to 60% on the Mk-1. “The indigenous quotient has fallen because the major improvements over Mk-1 required imports,” the DRDO chief said.

The army raised its maiden armoured regiment equipped with Arjun Mk-1 tanks in May 2009, more than 35 years after the project was conceived. The Arjun was earlier plagued with problems concerning its fire control system, suspension and poor mobility.

Currently, Russian T-90s and T-72s are the mainstay of India’s tank fleet.
I don't understand if It's operating in Arjun mk1 what is the problem if it faced Arjun mk2:confused::confused:

but your helicopters are still going to use LAHAT right??
I like LAHAT light and lethal, and cheaper than a Hellfire.

Does anyone here has any info about the anti tank missile DRDO is working on ?
Hopefully, they would be able to develop it without too much delay or cost overrun.

CLGM is the indigenous counterpart to LAHAT:

c7fc8ad93f72648293f937047a985c03.jpg

33ed98451802c8e93e7a7841edefedd8.png
6a79faab9dfa024ef85434878a46be56.png

but your helicopters are still going to use LAHAT right??
I like LAHAT light and lethal, and cheaper than a Hellfire.

No, sadly never were intended to. Rudra and LCH are aimed on smaller rocket pods and heavier ATGMs like SPIKE or the indigenous HELINA.

well, if we look at it positively at least we would have developed an indigenous missile.

67 tonnes ???:hitwall:
T90 is just around 45 tones.

I saw somewhere that the pressure exerted by the Arjun is near to that of a T-90.

I don't understand one thing, why does the IA keep rejecting this fine machine when it had outperformed the T-90 during the trials. Even the Israelis were impressed and tagged it as the ferrari of the desert.

Last edited:
Source please!
I have a doubt sir.. What is the real weight of Arjun 2?? Some articles says its wt is only 55t.. Some says 62t.. Some says 67t.. What is the actual wt?? Are these figures in long tons ya short tons??

well, if we look at it positively at least we would have developed an indigenous missile.

I saw somewhere that the pressure exerted by the Arjun is near to that of a T-90.

I don't understand one thing, why does the IA keep rejecting this fine machine when it had outperformed the T-90 during the trials. Even the Israelis were impressed and tagged it as the ferrari of the desert.
Its simple
1.common thinking. .. army love for foreign equipment n corrupted generals...
2.logical thinking. ... most equipment in army (like bridges, trucks,lifting equipment) are only meant for old T tanks (under 50 tons) so army is taking time to update its equipment ..so it can absorb arjun in full scale
Which one do u prefer? ???

I have a doubt sir.. What is the real weight of Arjun 2?? Some articles says its wt is only 55t.. Some says 62t.. Some says 67t.. What is the actual wt?? Are these figures in long tons ya short tons??

Doubts about? The article, the LAHAT or Arjun?

Hmm... This means SAMHO is progressing well. Good for DRDO. Hope they crack the HELINA puzzle as well.

Because the army,s current infrastructure is based on light tank and the infrastructure in the NW is not adequate to handle such heavy tanks. That is why they are ordering the tank in batches. Because this will be shift in army over all strategy.

There is no cutting edge research on materials in India. Our educational system should be revamped to build edcuation properly in India. How come we do everything backwards? Why cant we follow some methods from countries that have a proven track record?

Are we even reseraching protective materials that are lighter than steel used by tanks for protection, which would reduce the weight of Arjun considerably? NO, of course not. Indina has a long way to go. First, the courts should be streamlined to make security more effective and so death sentences can be handed out easier and quicker.

Create more educational institutions on a grand scale that are damn good, not just on paper.

Give more public private research projects to the students to encourage and open their minds to the possibilities.

I couldnt write this in the LOVE JIhad thread because Im blocked, so Im posting it here.....anyone with some pull in India, get this to info to someone who cares

Modi and the Indian gov't should announce that hotline for whistleblowers every single day and it should be publicized in all media 24-7.

The media and our officiers are stupid. Why? I'll tell you why. How come nobody ever probes another angle to Love Jihad, which is the sex trafficking aspect. Madarasa and Muslim populations have mushroomed in growth specifically in and around our borders with Nepal and Bangladesh. This was not mere coincidence but by design. Our girls are being targetted by some of these scumbags. A high price is placed on all virgins especially Hindus who are subjected to traumatic rape and forced conversion. They use the culture and system to get away with it. To fight this, we Indians need to change the way we think and talk about sex, virignity, etc. We shouldn't be disowning a young girl who has been raped. The community used to keep a check on these scoundrels who even bothered a girl the wrong way, at least in Kerala. In other places, the youth are following the examples led by elders and adults.

Anyway, sex trafficking can only exist with the active connivance of higher authorites in the area. In West Bengal, high ranking HINDU police officers are working in cahoots with a specific trafficker. The area's name starts with the letter M..

You wanna tackle LOVE JIHAD then look into the Sex trafficking angle also because the fact is more women, girls and boys are being converted thru this path.

I couldnt write this in the LOVE JIhad thread because Im blocked, so Im posting it here.....anyone with some pull in India, get this to info to someone who cares

Modi and the Indian gov't should announce that hotline for whistleblowers every single day and it should be publicized in all media 24-7.

The media and our officiers are stupid. Why? I'll tell you why. How come nobody ever probes another angle to Love Jihad, which is the sex trafficking aspect. Madarasa and Muslim populations have mushroomed in growth specifically in and around our borders with Nepal and Bangladesh. This was not mere coincidence but by design. Our girls are being targetted by some of these scumbags. A high price is placed on all virgins especially Hindus who are subjected to traumatic rape and forced conversion. They use the culture and system to get away with it. To fight this, we Indians need to change the way we think and talk about sex, virignity, etc. We shouldn't be disowning a young girl who has been raped. The community used to keep a check on these scoundrels who even bothered a girl the wrong way, at least in Kerala. In other places, the youth are following the examples led by elders and adults.

Anyway, sex trafficking can only exist with the active connivance of higher authorites in the area. In West Bengal, high ranking HINDU police officers are working in cahoots with a specific trafficker. The area's name starts with the letter M..

You wanna tackle LOVE JIHAD then look into the Sex trafficking angle also because the fact is more women, girls and boys are being converted thru this path.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom