What's new

India all set to lease a second nuclear submarine from Russia

nana yaar i just wanted to know what missiles our ins chakra carries and what does their akula carry??

i have failed to find any source which tells about this
Our akula is equipped with klub missiles with 300km range. Atleast thats what I read in a report some days back. I'll try to find and post that report here.
PS: their akulas are equipped with nuclear capable cruise missiles with 3000 km range and SAMs. Here is a old report.
www.aninews.in/newsdetail2/story29370/indian-navy-gets-boost-with-inclusion-of-submarine-nerpa.html

Our akula is equipped with klub missiles with 300km range. Atleast thats what I read in a report some days back. I'll try to find and post that report here.
PS: their akulas are equipped with nuclear capable cruise missiles with 3000 km range and SAMs. Here is a old report.
Indian Navy gets boost with inclusion of submarine Nerpa , AniNews.in

If thats the case i would prefer a ssk with vls tubes like amur etc to an akula.............as apart from a long range we don't get anything extra for a deal potentially worth like 1 billion $ for one year lease!!!

If thats the case i would prefer a ssk with vls tubes like amur etc to an akula.............as apart from a long range we don't get anything extra for a deal potentially worth like 1 billion $ for one year lease!!!

but problem is Amur with VLS doesn't come with AIP and vice versa. Secondly Akula can carry very large number of Klubs and tarpedos say 2-3 times more than some ssk(around 28 klubs and 30+ torpedos).
PS: 1 billion cost is for 10 years and not one.

That is not the complete answer. In shallower waters around the coasts, Boomers are much more inefficient than SSKs. So there is no substitute for SSKs in the IN's Submarine Operating Doctrines.

ofcourse sir..actually I was in a hurry..so I didn't completed it..look @sardar1987

an SSN actually substitues 3 SSK at a time in long range patrol,one,thats in station,one thats returning from station and one going to station to replace one in there..but SSNs are too heavy for patrolling coastal areas..thats where SSk is useful..also,SSN is somewhat more noisy.but hi tech reduces the gap of the noise difference between SSK and modern SSN..

its true that we need long range missile..but thats will take a long time,not before K-4 in service..for land attack cruise missile,it'll take more time cause Indian indigenous cruise missile only in testing phase..

Last edited by a moderator:

one year lease??? :disagree:

look,thats the ploy of India to bypass International treaty to get a nuclear sub..the treaty is for 10 years..after that we'll renew these lease and will continue doing so(with or without small fee)..its just eyewash,thats what international community thinks..we'll retain the sub and will use it entire lifetime..unless,there is some new rules getting introduced,I don't think anybody can stop that..and you know what??both Australia and Brazil is going the same way..

but problem is Amur with VLS doesn't come with AIP and vice versa. Secondly Akula can carry very large number of Klubs and tarpedos say 2-3 times more than some ssk(around 28 klubs and 30+ torpedos).
PS: 1 billion cost is for 10 years and not one.

Russians are proposing to india to fit aip on amur 950 i think(amur with vls)...........not sure though

Russians are proposing to india to fit aip on amur 950 i think(amur with vls)...........not sure though

But I guess India is considering Amur-1650 as a contender of P75I because it has AIP(which is priority) and still can fire 533 mm missiles like klub but can't fire Brahmos or wider missiles which amur-950 could have fired.

But I guess India is considering Amur-1650 as a contender of P75I because it has AIP(which is priority) and still can fire 533 mm missiles like klub but can't fire Brahmos or wider missiles which amur-950 could have fired.

**** man why not go for upgraded scorpenes with mesma aip??
Is our govt so foolish??
And by the way russian aip is in testing and they themselves haven't used it on any of their own??

**** man why not go for upgraded scorpenes with mesma aip??
Is our govt so foolish??
And by the way russian aip is in testing and they themselves haven't used it on any of their own??

Thats true. Russian AIP is still not ready. Though I guess last 2 scorpenes would be most probably equipped with AIP but cost would raise by further 150 million or so. Lets see what they choose in P75I project?? May be scorpene again.

one year lease??? :disagree:

look,thats the ploy of India to bypass International treaty to get a nuclear sub..the treaty is for 10 years..after that we'll renew these lease and will continue doing so(with or without small fee)..its just eyewash,thats what international community thinks..we'll retain the sub and will use it entire lifetime..unless,there is some new rules getting introduced,I don't think anybody can stop that..and you know what??both Australia and Brazil is going the same way..

sorry 10 years....my bad

How??????????

Simple NWPT is among the most important international treaties,if russia violates this it will create diplomatic furor and decrease russia's diplomatic standing and honour of word.Won't do it for few dollars.

Akula's patrol time is equal to that of 3 ssks.It can conduct and is conducting non stop patrols.
Also its wrong that it lacks long range weaponry.It has club-s land attack missiles,club anti ship missiles.

It lacks any nuclear tipped cruise missiles like ssn-21 due to treaty restrictions.Its a brute of a platform,that is extremely quiet that vastly outperforms any chinese nuke sub and we have option to buy it after 10 yr lease is completed.On top of it all it gives our sailors invaluable exp on operating nuclear subs,one to come handy as we start operating our home built series.

That is not the complete answer. In shallower waters around the coasts, Boomers are much more inefficient than SSKs. So there is no substitute for SSKs in the IN's Submarine Operating Doctrines.

I thought Boomers were SSBNs and SSN were called hunter killers .

I read somewhere in the latest Indian express Sunday edition that our INS Chakra (Akula class) is a museum piece compared to latest Borlei class. If India wants to go for 2nd leased one then can we not ask for something more advanced than Akula class. Previous to INS Chakra there was Charlie class. They would not share Borlei class but at least next design after Akula Class. Can some body throw some light on this from?

Borei is a SSBN while Akula is a SSN . The successor of Akula is the Yasen class .

According to the last report on leasing the second sub , it was mentioned that if India okays the buy , the unfinished hull will be modified to accommodate VLS and certain technologies from the Yasen class .

Back
Top Bottom