What's new

India all set to lease a second nuclear submarine from Russia

SSK - Diesel electric attack submarine
SSBN - Nuclear powered ballistic missile submarine
SSN - Nuclear powered attack submarine

All these serve very different purposes. The Akula is a SSN. It is used for long range patrol. SSKs are good for coastal defence and will be needed in greater numbers to cover a same area as the SSN. The SSK also is most silent while using the AIP. Problem with this is that it can move only at 2 to 4 knots if I am not mistaken.

If the IN wishes to patrol the IOR effectively, it will need a combination of SSK (for shorter ranges), SSN (for longer range patrols) and SSBN for deterrent.

The SSBN (Arihant class) is for deterrent as per current available information.

I know these things but right now we need ssk and ssbn only as we don't need long patrols.First master these two and put money into them!!Yes u are right about aip thing but its also very silent as its advantage

btw pls call somnath and other guys to su-30 forum......lets have a blast:butcher::pdf:

Those have one aim : Scare tactics.

A 300km equipped/750km equipped SLBM can destroy almost any land based target in a deterrence role. Scorpenes are known for their low noise levels. That was the reason we bought them. Other wise we could go for 6 - 8 more Kilos at lesser price.

akulas are not equipped with these slbm's........that was my point:)

Russians and the cost escalations !!!!
We do need second SSN but price and time factor should also be considered. If we have to wait more than 3 years and pay more than 1 billion then it would be better to buy 4/5 SSKs off-shelf.

We HAVE to do both. IE, both lease at least one more Nuke Sub and rapidly accelerate the building of the next lot of 6 SSKs.

even though I agree we need 2nd SSN .... what if lease contract tag more than 1 billion ???

even though I agree we need 2nd SSN .... what if lease contract tag more than 1 billion ???

And yaar that second submarine will be based on an incomplete hull from the 90's!!!and
I mean i don't want another gorkshov fiasco when these akulas(indian) don't even have a long range missile!!!

Cost escalation within reasonable limits will have to be accepted.

Agree. But what should be the priority ???

SSN or SSK ???

SSN isn't going to be up in 3 years. From past experience of delays say 3/4 years.
And any ways we are going for P-75I so it would be easy to add off-shelf clause.

One question....
Do pakistani navy have any plan to equip Its submarines with cruise missiles in near future??

One question....
Do pakistani navy have any plan to equip Its submarines with cruise missiles in near future??

They might have conventional SLCMs already. Most of the known SLCM can be fired from Torpedo tube. So PN will have that capability if they didn't have it already.

Agree. But what should be the priority ???

SSN or SSK ???

SSN isn't going to be up in 3 years. From past experience of delays say 3/4 years.
And any ways we are going for P-75I so it would be easy to add off-shelf clause.

Both SSNs and SSKs are required. SSKs in larger numbers, which will be used in shallower waters and coastal areas. The SSns will be tasked for longer-range and longer-endurance patrols in deep oceans.

For rapid additions, both build and buy (off the shelf or nearly off the shelf) methods will have to be used. It is already well known that, for the P-75I project, the IN has always been insisting that the first two be built overseas. That number can be enhanced.

They might have conventional SLCMs already. Most of the known SLCM can be fired from Torpedo tube. So PN will have that capability if they didn't have it already.

They are capable of firing Harpoons already. It is claimed that the Harpoons have been modified for SLCM ability.

Even i am more in favour of ssk than ssbn due to noise issue but scorpenes are not a good platform for second strike capability..............even akulas are not for the matter as indian leased akulas lack any long ranged weapons!!!so whats the use of this??

a SSN is for long range patrol...practiaclly,it is said that one SSN can perform the job of 3 SSK,due to their lack of endurance..and even SSKs will lack long range missiles...and please,Akula-2 is quite stealthier,even USN admitted that..

They are capable of firing Harpoons already. It is claimed that the Harpoons have been modified for SLCM ability.

Correction: Agosta-70s already fire Harpoon SLCMs as AShMs. But the rumor is that the Harpoons have been modified for land attack capability.

a SSN is for long range patrol...practiaclly,it is said that one SSN can perform the job of 3 SSK,due to their lack of endurance..and even SSKs will lack long range missiles...and please,Akula-2 is quite stealthier,even USN admitted that..

That is not the complete answer. In shallower waters around the coasts, Boomers are much more inefficient than SSKs. So there is no substitute for SSKs in the IN's Submarine Operating Doctrines.

yes true........indian scorpenes except arihant are not capable of firing long range missiles,but that should be our priority right now

we need long missiles in submarines...........and aip in ssk(which again are absent from scorpenes purely due to india's fault)

That is not the complete answer. In shallower waters around the coasts, Boomers are much more inefficient than SSKs. So there is no substitute for SSKs in the IN's Submarine Operating Doctrines.

totally true and cost wise too............ssk with aip are very cheap compared to nuclear submarines

Correction: Agosta-70s already fire Harpoon SLCMs as AShMs. But the rumor is that the Harpoons have been modified for land attack capability.

I think I meant precisely that in my post.....:)
But Thanks anyway, @AhaseebA; anything to get you out of hibernation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom