What's new

In Future we should get Gripen NG for our AF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bangladesh will be better off going to the Russian or Chinese route.

JF-17 IMO perfectly fits the bit as low cost, effective solution.

Su-30 or Su-35 could be used for air superiority role. Besides most of the weapons integration can be taken place with no problem, hence no need for diverse weapon systems of different origins.

I think West export class avionics are better then Russian export class avionics.

China is best option for us.

I am Waiting for JF-17 block 3.

Well, I would like J-11 or other latest Chines AC for air superiority role.

@RiasatKhan

Yes we need aircrafts.But we cannot afford Gripens

Bro, I think we can afford Gripen NG if we want to. We can get custom Gripen NGs under 75m USD. Dont just think about purchase cost, think about operate and maintain cost too. Gripen NG will be lowest operate and maintain cost AC so, I think it is good option for us.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.defence.pk/forums/chines...illion-domestic-jet-engine-plan-xinhua-5.html

In above thread some of us discussed this issue, I am quoting from this thread:

I hope Bangladesh orders single engine J-10B/J-10BS and twin-engined J-11B/J-11BS soon enough. If Russia creates diplomatic row with China over it (only a few squadron of J-11B should not create any uproar I think), then maybe one squadron of Su-35 can be looked into. I think Uganda has purchased some 6 Su-30MK2, and their economy is generally in worse shape than BD. Definitely, Bangladesh can procure 16 Su-35 from Russia, all these alleged "Indian pressure" on Russia is hoax.

Russia mostly understands one thing - money (and more money). They don't care two hoots about the world's largest dump with the world's largest number of illiterate people.

In either case, 4 squadrons of J-10B + 2 squdrons of J-11B should be procured by 2020 or thereabout. If Russia causes diplomatic row, then 4 squadrons of J-10B+1 squadron of Su-35+1 squadron of J-16 should be the inventory of choice. A couple of AEW&C, refuellers and tankers should also be procured by then.

Policies for the development of economy, military and diplomacy must go 'hand in hand' for BD in the coming years.

But to get to your wish about the mix and number of fighters that BD should purchase, this is simply not possible with only 1.5% of GDP being devoted to defence, even with the growth rate of the economy running at nearly 7% a year currently.

A force of 48 J10-B, 12 J-11B, 12 SU-35, AWACS and tankers is something that even India could not easily ignore. However this will come at a cost of around 5 billion dollars ,which will be 1 billion dollars a year if paid over 5 years. The 12 Su-35s by themselves will come to 1 billion dollars at least. Unless very generous financing terms are giving, say pay over 10 years with little or no interest paid, then it is not possible to afford so many planes by 2020.

Personally, I would prefer BD to start raising the percentage that it spends on defence gradually over the next 10-15 years to around 2.5% of GDP which will allow purchases of this nature but this does not look like it will start happening soon.

Lets work on a wish list for BAF, starting with these lists:

1. 4 squadrons of J-10B + 2 squdrons of J-11B
2. 4 squadrons of J-10B+1 squadron of Su-35+1 squadron of J-16
3. 48 J10-B, 12 J-11B, 12 SU-35, AWACS

(1 squadron = 12 planes)

@RiasatKhan

Bro, I think we can afford Gripen NG if we want to. We can get custom Gripen NGs under 75m USD. Dont just think about purchase cost, think about operate and maintain cost too. Gripen NG will be lowest operate and maintain cost AC so, I think it is good option for us.

75million is wayyyyy to much for a jet for us when we can get sukhois for less.Besides if we buy them we will need at least a squandron of them.I don't think BAF can manage the funding!

@RiasatKhan

China is going to replace the US as No. 1 world power, in just about 2 decades. Gripen or anything from EU use US engines and avionics. I think it is better for us to be in the Chinese camp, while using some Russian equipment (also in Chinese camp SCO), if the Chinese don't have them.

These purchases is very much directed to our national foreign policy goals and strategic security goals. They are not simple purchases of the highest quality product that is available.

75million is wayyyyy to much for a jet for us when we can get sukhois for less.Besides if we buy them we will need at least a squandron of them.I don't think BAF can manage the funding!

$75 million for a light single-engined plane? That price is a joke if you ask me :lol:

The JF-17 or J-10 would be a more rational choice for BAF.

Sukhies offer a good value, but they are resource intensive during operations. So best not to operate too many of them.

But one can't help thinking that Sukhies look uber-sexy! :smitten:

Lets work on a wish list for BAF, starting with these lists:

1. 4 squadrons of J-10B + 2 squdrons of J-11B
2. 4 squadrons of J-10B+1 squadron of Su-35+1 squadron of J-16
3. 48 J10-B, 12 J-11B, 12 SU-35, AWACS

(1 squadron = 12 planes)

Bro, this list is too much for us.

Bro, dont just think about purchase cost, think about operate and maintain cost too.

China is going to replace the US as No. 1 world power, in just about 2 decades. Gripen or anything from EU use US engines and avionics. I think it is better for us to be in the Chinese camp, while using some Russian equipment (also in Chinese camp SCO), if the Chinese don't have them.

These purchases is very much directed to our national foreign policy goals and strategic security goals. They are not simple purchases of the highest quality product that is available.

We should taste west ACs too. It will help us when we build our own ACs in future.

$75 million for a light single-engined plane? That price is a joke if you ask me :lol:

Sukhies offer a good value, but they are resource intensive during operations. So best not to operate too many of them.

J10 and Jf17 are around the same price range.We are not getting Jf17 as it is partly Pakistani and none of our governments would get weapons from Pakistan as our Shushil Shomaj and other intellectuals whom the government needs for the talk-shows would raise a storm about it and question if the military is truly 'Bangladeshi' or not!You know the drill!I wonder what would happen if we bought 'PAK'-FA!J10 would be less costlier to maintain than a Russian bird and the Chinese would be more flexible in modifying the bird according to our needs.Should we get more migs like the Burmese??

Nope, $75 million for a mid-weight single-engined plane with effeciancy and lot of hot features. (use google and wikileaks for more info)

J-10 and JF-17 block 2 is good option too.

I think export class Sukhies are not good enough.

True.And as a spin-off we might get a couple more naval vessels from the US as it might try to win us over!

J10 and Jf17 are around the same price range.We are not getting Jf17 as it is partly Pakistani and none of our governments would get weapons from Pakistan as our Shushil Shomaj and other intellectuals whom the government needs for the talk-shows would raise a storm about it and question if the military is truly 'Bangladeshi' or not!You know the drill!I wonder what would happen if we bought 'PAK'-FA!J10 would be less costlier to maintain than a Russian bird and the Chinese would be more flexible in modifying the bird according to our needs.Should we get more migs like the Burmese??

J-10 is good for us and we should go for j-11/j-16 instade MIG-29.

I think it's time we sold our migs to some african country and put in some more money and go for Chinese birds!

Bro, this list is too much for us.

Bro, dont just think about purchase cost, think about operate and maintain cost too.

We should taste west ACs too. It will help us when we build our own ACs in future.

Please suggest your own list. Western ACs will not help us to build our own. If anything, Chinese may transfer more tech than the West, if we stay within Chinese sphere of influence, the way Pakistan does.

J-10 is good for us and we should go for j-11/j-16 instade MIG-29.

I also support to go all Chinese, as they now have indigenous WS-1xx engines. Their tech is on a steep rise, the Russians will fall behind them in 10 years max. And it is better for us to source as many equipment as possible from one country. We are a small country with small budget, we cannot afford to put our eggs in more than one basket, specially if that basket can supply us everything in near future. So best for us is to stay loyal to the future No. 1 power of the world who will gain that position in 20 years and will stay in that position for the foreseeable future.

Only if the Chinese have issues with Russians and cannot supply us the twin engine planes for some years, we should go for Su-xx as a stop gap measure.

Nope, $75 million for a mid-weight single-engined plane with effeciancy and lot of hot features. (use google and wikileaks for more info)

J-10 and JF-17 block 2 is good option too.

I think export class Sukhies are not good enough.

$75 million is still too much.

And export class Sukhies? Depends on how much you are paying. The Indians got a good deal. If you pay well for a Su-35, you'll get everything.

This isn't the Soviet age where other countries get "monkey models".

Though, the Russians still often like to keep the best to themselves. The Su-30SM is one example.

Look at this BEAST:
Foto_3_-_Su-30SM.jpg

:smitten:

I also heard that their MiG-29K's would be featuring AESA radar unlike the ones exported to India. Though, I may be wrong.

Should we get more migs like the Burmese??

In my opinion? No.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom