What's new

In a first, IB sets up China desk

@levina @nair what @Zarvan wants to say is increase in cooperation between Chinese and Pakistani intel regarding India. In Intel community it's not a new thing,sharing of information,joint ELINT and SIGNIT operation, and joint operations in common areas,that's nothing special and that news doesn't means that India was sleeping before that regarding Chinese Intel...
Don't be Zarvi bhai's mouth piece.(not meant to offend you guys) :) But its not good to fight somebody else's war.

On topic:
I'm sure IB opened a China desk after understanding that RAW alone could not 've managed all the info regarding Chinese co.s within India. And it is logical to let IB have a China gesk as they 're an internal agency, that would ease the flow of info.
As such RAW and IB 've always had trouble communicating with each other, so this step solves that issue too

Last edited:
@levina @nair what @Zarvan wants to say is increase in cooperation between Chinese and Pakistani intel regarding India. In Intel community it's not a new thing,sharing of information,joint ELINT and SIGNIT operation, and joint operations in common areas,that's nothing special and that news doesn't means that India was sleeping before that regarding Chinese Intel...
The IB is for internal intelligence, before this they never taken the priority to a a foreign intelligence threat. Previously the counter-intelligence team remain small.

So, yes, thats new development in Indian intelligence community.

They should focus on internal security intel such as tracing and monitoring different political parties' links with foreign entities, organizations, politicians' accounts, sources of unauthorized money for certain media elements, particularly news channels and newsprint etc.

That is a bigger danger. RAW already deals with external intelligence pertaining to China and Pakistan among other countries.

A China specific desk should be created within ITBP with full clearances to them upto the PMO. In addition to an increase in their monetary allocations for data and intel gathering, the ITBP need more cost effective surveillance drones that can perform recon missions from within our border.

There should also be a collective focus on tracking NSCN and its activities in areas adjoining the Indo Tibetan border as well as areas where India, China and Myanmar intersect. It is common intel word that Anthony Shimray (leader of NSCN) keeps hopping between Yunan and Nagaland at will.

Agreed IB should focus on NGO's & Foreign cos handling important Infrastructure

Don't be Zarvi bhai's mouth piece.(not meant to offend you guys) :) But its not good to fight somebody else's war.

On topic:
I'm sure IB opened a China desk after understanding that RAW alone could not 've managed all the info regarding Chinese co.s within India. And it is logical to let IB have a China gesk as they 're an internal agency, that would ease the flow of info.
As such RAW and IB 've always had trouble communicating with each other, so this step solves that issue too

We need greater inter-service Cooperation at all levels,setting up a joint chiefs of staff will be a good start

We need greater inter-service Cooperation at all levels,setting up a joint chiefs of staff will be a good start
We do have a joint chief. Remember President acts as de jure Commander in chief of the Armed Forces. while de facto control lies with the executive??
But I'm hoping against hopes that a chief is appointed, who heads both RAW and IB. Or is that really impossible?

We do have a joint chief. Remember President acts as de jure Commander in chief of the Armed Forces. while de facto control lies with the executive??
But I'm hoping against hopes that a chief is appointed, who heads both RAW and IB. Or is that really impossible?

I was talking about Navy,AF & Army & @Abingdonboy or @sancho can tell this better than me

I was talking about Navy,AF & Army & @Abingdonboy or @sancho can tell this better than me
Navy, air force and Army do cooperate at all levels (except the minor ego issues that crop up occasionally ) so I dont really think we need a common chief (which the President is already).
But RAW and IB 're having issues since ages now.

Navy, air force and Army do cooperate at all levels (except the minor ego issues that crop up occasionally ) so I dont really think we need a common chief (which the President is already).
But RAW and IB 're having issues since ages now.

But having a dedicated Chief will help,since the president does not knows much about these issues & i agree with the RAW & IB Part

I dont know whther to be happy about they are having a dedicated china desk or be sad that they got permission only after all these years..

On topic:
I am not anyone's mouth piece and in 1960 era US built a post in India to monitior Lup Nor test site but that post was destroyed in snow storm did it means that India was fighting US war absolutely no,India allowed US to do that because India was unable to do that,china and Pakistan may cooperate against India in intel field and that's way of game, art of game,passion of 69 in that game...

Lol
IB and RAW 're always at war within themselves and now giving IB this extra edge under Ajith Doval sounds a lil partial (after all he was the Director of IB sometime back).
Nonetheless, keeping an eye on Chinese firms within India sounds interesting.
I don't agree @levina, or at the least I don't agree this is another manifestation between the inter-service rivalry between the IB and R&AW. The two have clear mandates- R&AW is for external threats and IB for internal so with the IB operating on the Indian side of the LAC they are well within their jurisdiction to do so and it would be wrong for R&AW to be doing so.

I'm sure IB opened a China desk after understanding that RAW alone could not 've managed all the info regarding Chinese co.s within India.
Not really because this isn't R&AW's job but the IB's, the key phrase being- "within India".

In the past yes but things have changed dramatically post 26/11 rest assured @levina.

Yes this is next to impossible and would be counter productive anyway. Although both are intelligence agencies they have different mandates and thus a common head would not really solve anything but may lead to more issues. The CIA,FBI,NSA all have their own heads same with MI6,MI5 and GCHQ. It would be like asking the Army and airforce to have a common head. A common head would not solve anything IMHO and anyway this is really what the NSA is meant to be given that the two (along with other agencies) report directly to the NSA.

Navy, air force and Army do cooperate at all levels (except the minor ego issues that crop up occasionally ) so I dont really think we need a common chief (which the President is already)
The need for something like a joint chief of staff is very much present and has been articulated for many years now and ego has little part in it, there are very practical reasons for one. There is still whole lot of inter-service rivalry to this day the Heavy attack helicopters (Apaches) are the most obvious illustration of this right now. The President of India is Chief of the Armed forces officially but has no part in strategising or running the military, he is like the Queen of England. How much knowledge do you think the President of India (any of them) actually has about the Indian military? Do you think this is comparable to a 4 star General (from any branch)?

We need to lots of Information about Chinese movement in the east, and good to have a desk, I think we should have a Chinese room

Back
Top Bottom