What's new

Imran Khan visit to USA and meeting with Donald Trump - Implications

Has any body here been monitoring the india media?...

there are going bananas.... their entire false narrative has thrown in the air...

and the mayors of kabul have been reduced to a asking for clarification of trump's comments..

The efforts of just one man turned things around...

PS where are the indian posters?...

Pakistanis need to move beyond such shallow comments. What India and Afghanistan say is irrelevant when we are discussing the implicaitons of Prime Minister Imran Khan's visit to USA.

I think the Americans have this arrogance and sense of self entitlement; certainly the Trump regime is more brazen about it.

Arrogance is natural if you are the most powerful and richest country on the planet. I don't think style should be relevant when we are discussing substance i.e. the practical implications.

too early to comment about this visit at this stage ..... I will wait at least for a month before to reach any conclusion, I do not have any high expectations from this visit ...
Same old ballers, question is can the new PK team handle bouncers & yorkers on a bad pitch.

I Repeat we want trade not some peanut like before. You keep yourself happy for this but truth it's they will release this fund and then ask for do more then if they feel happy then may be they will increase trade with us - BIG NO and we will be back to same old page and result would be same. I see this and this is what they said we are giving you aid doesn't matter you name it oil refinery revenue or etc in the end it will be called aid by them. Looks like you and some people in Pakistan and outside of Pakistan will never learn.
so you want trade ( which is your dream right now not reality) does that mean your infrastructure is free to use by any one? and you cannt charge for it just because you want tradeo_O

not sure what you're gibbering about.. do you mean IK should've been rewarded with a handshake with Harry Potter???

Well, you weren't satisfied a meeting with Nancy pelosi the housemaid. So I thought maybe you fancied a meeting with Harry Potter instead because you are British. Just a suggestion mate. I know you blokes are particular.

President does not make up things, says Donald Trump's advisor Larry Kudlow

It is "a very rude question," Trump's Chief Economic Advisor Larry Kudlow told reporters at the White House when a journalist following up on the president's remarks asked if it was made up.

"The President does not make anything up. That's a very rude question in my opinion. I am going to stay out of that. It's outside of my lane. It's for Mr (National Security Advisor John) Bolton, Mr (Secretary of State Mike) Pompeo and President, so I am not going to comment on that. President does not make things up," Kudlow said.

However, former Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs Nicholas Burns, who played a key role in India-US civil nuclear deal during the Bush Administration, said, "This is embarrassing, to say the least, for President Trump. His claim that PM Modi asked him to mediate the Kashmir conflict denied categorically by Delhi. This is what happens in diplomacy when you make things up"

A day earlier, Trump offered to be the "mediator" between India and Pakistan on the Kashmir issue as he met Prime Minister Imran Khan at the White House.

Trump, who is known to make inaccurate statements, claimed that Prime Minister Modi asked him to mediate on Kashmir when they met in Osaka, Japan on the sidelines of the G20 Summit last month.

India has not been engaging with Pakistan since an attack on the Air Force base at Pathankot in January of 2016 by Pakistan-based terrorists, maintaining that talks and terror cannot go together.

External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar refuted that Prime Minister Modi ever made that request.

"I would like to categorically assure the House that no such request has been made by the Prime Minister to the US President. I repeat, no such request was made by the Prime Minister to the US President," he said in a statement to the Parliament.

Reference:
https://economictimes.indiatimes.co...advisor-larry-kudlow/articleshow/70352454.cms

Well, you weren't satisfied a meeting with Nancy pelosi the housemaid. So I thought maybe you fancied a meeting with Harry Potter instead because you are British. Just a suggestion mate. I know you blokes are particular.

mate!.. the circles I move in, bingo halls and pie shops, no one cares for Harry Potter

ps Im not a bloke..

That is the most probable development that we might see as a result of the visit. More probable than many other things people have wished or hoped for
As per me, i think we lack anti armor capabilities in terms of helicopters

thediplomat-41645161_2937308699644864_4894677642579542016_o-386x249.jpg

Image Credit: ImranKhanOfficial via Facebook
5 Reasons Imran Khan's US Visit Was a Win for Pakistan
Did Imran Khan accomplish much during his trip to Washington?
thediplomat_2016-02-10_21-20-33-36x36.jpg

By Umair Jamal
July 25, 2019

In Pakistan, Prime Minister Imran Khan’s visit to the United States has already been termed a resounding success. The visit, which a few months ago was not even a possibility, ended up giving’s Pakistan’s diplomacy a much-needed boost.

For Islamabad, there are five major takeaways from Khan’s U.S. visit.

First, a convergence of interests has emerged between Islamabad and Washington on both countries’ Afghanistan policy. Primarily, the focus of Khan’s meeting with President Trump remained on Afghanistan. The last few months have seen Pakistan’s role being appreciated more by the U.S. at the highest levels. This essentially shows that Trump’s close aides and team working on Afghanistan are pleased with Pakistan’s recent efforts. It is probable that after Khan’s visit Pakistan will position itself as a central player in the ongoing negotiations between the Taliban and the United States.

Enjoying this article? Click here to subscribe for full access. Just $5 a month.
Second, on the question of terrorism there was not any serious criticism of Pakistan. It’s interesting to note that the issue of terrorism didn’t even become a major talking point in official meetings between the military as well as the civilian leadership. Khan during his conversations at various forums made it clear that the country’s policy concerning the issue of terrorism had shifted radically. He also emphasized that there exists a civil-military agreement in Pakistan that “it’s in the interest of Pakistan to not allow militias” within the country. So far, Washington seems to endorse Pakistan’s stance on terrorism.

Third, an unexpected achievement that Islamabad was able to extract from Trump was the latter’s discussion of the Kashmir crisis and willingness to mediate between India and Pakistan. What made the situation worse for New Delhi was Trump’s reference to a conversation with India’s Prime Minister Modi, where the latter allegedly asked for U.S. mediation to resolve the issue of Kashmir. Trump’s statement, however, was denied by Indiawithin hours, with New Delhi maintaining that it doesn’t accept third party intervention on the issue of Kashmir. While it’s unlikely that Modi mentioned the idea of a third party intervention, Islamabad has been able to extract a major diplomatic coup with Trump and Khan’s conversation on the subject.

Fourth, the visit has offered bilateral security cooperation and military-to-military relations a much-needed boost. Last year, Trump suspended military training programs for Pakistan. They are likely to be reinstated in the coming weeks. At one point during President Trump’s meeting with Khan, the former mentioned that the security assistance for Pakistan can come back depending on what both countries achieve concerning Afghanistan. Moreover, a few days ago, General Mark Milley, who has been nominated as the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said that U.S. “interests are better served if the country maintains strong military ties with Pakistan.” It’s possible that Trump may resume Pakistan’s military training programs and exchanges which were suspended last year after both countries developed serious differences over the issue of Afghanistan.

Finally, another major accomplishment for Pakistan is that Khan got along with Trump very well on a personal level. This is very important when it comes to Islamabad and Washington’s bilateral relationship. Moreover, Khan’s recent meeting with Trump is likely going to set up a direct line of communication between the White House and Khan’s office, bypassing the thick bureaucracy on both sides. Essentially, this will help in terms of sidestepping hiccups that usually occur between the two countries when a direct line of communication is non-existent. It’s expected that Trump’s office would like to continue to remain in touch with Khan when it comes to progress concerning the Afghan peace process. Islamabad would like to use such an opportunity to sort out other issues in the bilateral realm.

Above all, Khan’s visit has given Pakistan’s diplomacy a major public relations boost in Washington, which Islamabad fully intends to take advantage of. While it’s too early to predict the nature of Pakistan and the United States’ long-term relations, for the immediate term, Pakistan has scored a major win.

© 2019 The Diplomat. All Rights Reserved.

Last edited:
It is coming, that is the carrot. Lets see who can figure out the stick.
What U think wish list would be by Gen Bajwa??? My feelings is this CSF would go for military shopping beacuse there is no budget allocation of this fund at the moment house has to pass new amendment.Another take of mine is Russia is out from Pak equation for Military hardware shopping I mean big ticket items. May buy T90M beacuse American tanks not good for Us heavy on infrastructure.

A few things that struck me in this trip.

• A very warm welcome by Donald Trump. I was dreading he might say something insulting the way he is.
  • Mention of Kashmir in such an impromptu manner that never looked made up.
  • A warm, genuine desire by Trump to visit Pakistan.
  • A separate, elaborate reception of Army Chief at Pentagon. A 21 gun salute! That means it was a full protocol meeting.

Back
Top Bottom