What's new

Imran Khan visit to USA and meeting with Donald Trump - Implications

Arsalan

THINK TANK CHAIRMAN
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
While there are number of threads discussing the PM Imran speech at Arena One, Imran Khan meeting with Donald Trump, Donald Trump's remarks over Kashmir issue, Imran's interview and other points of the meeting, i will request you all to use this single thread to discuss the overall value and implication of the visit and meeting. What the analysts will be the outcome. What improvements can you guys foresee in US-Pakistan relations (if any).

Lets be realistic and discuss this tour overall.

Later at some point we will merge all the threads related to the visit into a single thread (after some months)

Realistically speaking, the Official Working Visit of PM Imran Khan to US is not likely to bring any economic benefits or financial assistance however that should not be the goal in the first place. We should consider this visit and meeting between the two leaders as a major first step towards normalization of US-Pakistan ties. While USA also realize that Pakistan cannot be exempted from Afghan solution, Pakistan need to understand and fight the maniac of terrorism that have affected the country the most. Also we need to understand that while China is without doubt out closest ally, the good diplomacy and successful diplomacy is that you manage to have good working relations between two otherwise competing parties.

Before the visit there were talks of getting USA to be part of CPEC and invest in Pakistan. I am not sure if that will be achieved in this first meeting. To me, the best thing will be a more friendly and close relation between US and Pakistan that can then be built upon.

As far as military aid goes, the best outcome for Pakistan can be restoration of military aid though it is highly unlikely. However the AH-1Z gunship deliveries can be possible. Remember that Imran Khan is accompanied by military leadership and with the recent positive remarks of upcoming US Joint Chief of Staff, Gen Mark Milley, tangible improvement in military ties can be expected. Clearing the AH-1Z deliveries can be a major first step. The engines of T129 helicopters might also be discussed during COAS meeting with counterparts at the Pentagon.

Last edited:
Imran Khan: Pakistan PM meets Trump in bid to mend ties
Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan has held his first face-to-face talks with US President Donald Trump during a trip to Washington DC.

The meeting was part of a push to mend relations, which have been strained by the Afghan conflict.

Mr Trump reduced security aid to Pakistan early last year, accusing the country of "lies and deceit".

At the White House meeting on Monday, Mr Trump also offered to mediate in the Indian-Pakistani conflict in Kashmir.

He said that he was making the offer after Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi requested that he "mediate or arbitrate" in the 70-year-old territory dispute between the two nations.

"If I can help, I would love to be a mediator," Mr Trump said on Monday.

"If I can do anything on that let me know."

Mr Trump said that Pakistan was helping the US to "extricate" its troops from Afghanistan, through political negotiations.

The US president said he could win the war in Afghanistan within 10 days, but that he did not want to kill millions of people. He is aiming to persuade Mr Khan to pressure the Taliban into striking a peace deal with the Afghan government.

Mr Khan praised the negotiations, saying: "There is no military solution in Afghanistan. If you go all out military, millions and millions of people will die."

Mr Trump added that before Mr Khan came into office, the country had been "subversive" to US interests and "did not respect US leadership".

Since he won Pakistan's general election just under a year ago, Mr Khan has called for "mutually beneficial" ties with America, while remaining an outspoken critic of US anti-terrorist tactics such as drone strikes.

The Trump administration is trying to negotiate its military withdrawal from Afghanistan with the Taliban, a militant group it has long accused Pakistan of supporting.

Mr Khan has previously said that US assistance was "minuscule" compared with what the US-led "war on terror" had cost Pakistan.

As well as counter-terrorism and defence, the two leaders were likely to discuss trade and investment as Mr Khan battles to fend off a balance of payments crisis after a bailout from the International Monetary Fund.

Read more

Last edited:
While there are number of threads discussing the PM Imran speech at Arena One, Imran Khan meeting with Donald Trump, Donald Trump's remarks over Kashmir issue, Imran's interview and other points of the meeting, i will request you all to use this single thread to discuss the overall value and implication of the visit and meeting. What the analysts will be the outcome. What improvements can you guys foresee in US-Pakistan relations (if any).

Lets be realistic and discuss this tour overall.

Later at some point we will merge all the threads related to the visit into a single thread (after some months)

Realistically speaking, the Official Working Visit of PM Imran Khan to US is not likely to bring any economic benefits or financial assistance however that should not be the goal in the first place. We should consider this visit and meeting between the two leaders as a major first step towards normalization of US-Pakistan ties. While USA also realize that Pakistan cannot be exempted from Afghan solution, Pakistan need to understand and fight the maniac of terrorism that have affected the country the most. Also we need to understand that while China is without doubt out closest ally, the good diplomacy and successful diplomacy is that you manage to have good working relations between two otherwise competing parties.

Before the visit there were talks of getting USA to be part of CPEC and invest in Pakistan. I am not sure if that will be achieved in this first meeting. To me, the best thing will be a more friendly and close relation between US and Pakistan that can then be built upon.

As far as military aid goes, the best outcome for Pakistan can be restoration of military aid though it is highly unlikely. However the AH-1Z gunship deliveries can be possible. Remember that Imran Khan is accompanied by military leadership and with the recent positive remarks of upcoming US Joint Chief of Staff, Gen Mark Milley, tangible improvement in military ties can be expected. Clearing the AH-1Z deliveries can be a major first step. The engines of T129 helicopters might also be discussed during COAS meeting with counterparts at the Pentagon.

@HRK @Oscar @Dazzler @araz @fatman17 @Irfan Baloch
too early to comment about this visit at this stage ..... I will wait at least for a month before to reach any conclusion, I do not have any high expectations from this visit ...

I am not an expert, but I think it has gone well so far. Trump acted tamed compared to his meetings with other countries pm, I hope things are also good behind the scene too.

From US perspective, its not about withdrawal from Afghanistan only, they cannot leave this region, they have their interests here. And the good thing about US, they do revisit their policies, they may have realized which relationship benefits them the most.

For Pakistan ......... I hope they don't undersell themselves like they usually have been doing. This leading the people of Pakistan into hating America needs to end, except for Pakistan and Afghanistan all other countries where there is US presence, they have benefited, Japan, South Korea and others, why can't Pakistan and Pakistanis? Plus it is very important for this government to move from that stupid policy of relying and loving one ally only no iron, copper or gold brothers please.

Despite the good optics and the fact that the US is acting nice, I don't think we should change our actions or behaviours to suit their agenda. The reason they have changed their stance is because they realise we have other options and we have an establishment that is united. We should do everything we can to bring peace to Afghanistan but it shouldn't be on terms that suit US interests while being detrimental to our own. We have tried that tack for decades and been treated like a doormat for our pains. We have the support and ear of the Chinese and Russians which we should leverage to bring about the best outcome for Pakistan. We should never trust or rely on the US to do what is best for Pakistan. We should, and I think with this government we will, look after our own interests first.
No more, do more.

too early to comment about this visit at this stage ..... I will wait at least for a month before to reach any conclusion, I do not have any high expectations from this visit ...
The results will surely taken even more than a month. However we can really debate on the possibilities here! :)

I am not an expert, but I think it has gone well so far. Trump acted tamed compared to his meetings with other countries pm, I hope things are also good behind the scene too.
Trump have so far proved that he wont carry a face for the photos. The behind the scene meetings would not be any different from on screen ones as far as the mood and attitude goes.

From US perspective, its not about withdrawal from Afghanistan only, they cannot leave this region, they have their interests here. And the good thing about US, they do revisit their policies, they may have realized which relationship benefits them the most.

For Pakistan ......... I hope they don't undersell themselves like they usually have been doing. This leading the people of Pakistan into hating America needs to end, except for Pakistan and Afghanistan all other countries where there is US presence, they have benefited, Japan, South Korea and others, why can't Pakistan and Pakistanis? Plus it is very important for this government to move from that stupid policy of relying and loving one ally only no iron, copper or gold brothers please.
Agreed. US like any other sensible country will put their own interest first and we really have no right to blame them for that. It is our duty to put our own rights first too, failure to do so do not justify us blaming other for doing their job. As i mentioned above, this is a first meeting so i don't think it will lead many things to conclusion. It was more a case of positive beginnings if anything. That is true for the all points mentioned by you. Lets talk about Afghanistan for example. Yes US seem to have realized that there is no "minus Pakistan" solution to Afghanistan problem but that do not means that anything conclusive would have been agreed or even discussed in this meeting. It was more like a breaking ice kind of tour. If both sides feel positive vibes from the other then things will proceed. Our job now will be to make sure we stay on it and move things to conclusion that suit our interests.

Agreed. US like any other sensible country will put their own interest first and we really have no right to blame them for that. It is our duty to put our own rights first too, failure to do so do not justify us blaming other for doing their job. As i mentioned above, this is a first meeting so i don't think it will lead many things to conclusion. It was more a case of positive beginnings if anything. That is true for the all points mentioned by you. Lets talk about Afghanistan for example. Yes US seem to have realized that there is no "minus Pakistan" solution to Afghanistan problem but that do not means that anything conclusive would have been agreed or even discussed in this meeting. It was more like a breaking ice kind of tour. If both sides feel positive vibes from the other then things will proceed. Our job now will be to make sure we stay on it and move things to conclusion that suit our interests.

One thing I wholeheartedly accept about IK is, his international standing, he carries a lot of goodwill in that area and since he became PM, I have seen him excel in that area. Our focus should be primarily on economic cooperation, youth training, trade, defense procurement, to whatever extent we can benefit from the technology transfer, mediation in our dispute(s) resolution and end of our arch rival's interference in our backyard(s) and their constant bickering on international fora against us. I guess Trump and his administration have taken notes from Feb 27, and it has also influenced their view and policy on Pakistan.

One thing I wholeheartedly accept about IK is, his international standing, he carries a lot of goodwill in that area and since he became PM, I have seen him excel in that area. Our focus should be primarily on economic cooperation, youth training, trade, defense procurement, to whatever extent we can benefit from the technology transfer, mediation in our dispute(s) resolution and end of our arch rival's interference in our backyard(s) and their constant bickering on international fora against us. I guess Trump and his administration have taken notes from Feb 27, and it has also influenced their view and policy on Pakistan.
I think this is the beginning and it will all depends on how Pakistan carry forward with this and build on this. The meeting was nothing more than an attempt to break ice, with that accomplished, it will take consistent effort and focus to make it to "warm relations" once again. Surely we do not want the relations with US at cost of any of other friends but good diplomacy is to have good relations with everyone.

I do not see US directly investing in the CPEC as some suggested, not now and not even in near future however gradual increase of trade, some soft power projection and backing if US on that, training and military funds/procurement restored. If this can be accomplished as a follow up of this visit it will be success.

However have not doubt that the enemy will be there and will put in an extra effort to sabotage any progress made. We have traditionally been poor at diplomacy while they have excelled at it. It will take lot of effort and devotion to turn the tables or even to get on equal playing field.

However have not doubt that the enemy will be there and will put in an extra effort to sabotage any progress made. We have traditionally been poor at diplomacy while they have excelled at it. It will take lot of effort and devotion to turn the tables or even to get on equal playing field.

I will disagree with this statement ......... we lost for short period of time when we had sellouts at the helm of power, when we had incompetent touts who cared for their own individual pockets only. I am glad that we are fast reversing their gains and catching up to our previous standards, I hope our lobbying (skills) get stronger. However, this time I would also like that unnecessary interference in our internal matters is stopped and opposed strictly be it by any of our allies or friends.

I will disagree with this statement ......... we lost for short period of time when we had sellouts at the helm of power, when we had incompetent touts who cared for their own individual pockets only. I am glad that we are fast reversing their gains and catching up to our previous standards, I hope our lobbying (skills) get stronger. However, this time I would also like that unnecessary interference in our internal matters is stopped and opposed strictly be it by any of our allies or friends.
I am not talking about lobbying is US congress alone. The over all diplomacy thing have never been our strong point. We have always had to choose between two parties. The Arabs or Iranians, the US or Russians for example. While other countries, like India have maintained good relations with Arabs, Israel, Iran all at same time!!

I am not talking about lobbying is US congress alone. The over all diplomacy thing have never been our strong point. We have always had to choose between two parties. The Arabs or Iranians, the US or Russians for example. While other countries, like India have maintained good relations with Arabs, Israel, Iran all at same time!!

I too wish that to change now.

The results will surely taken even more than a month.
Yes but during the time there will be a clarity about the direction in which US deep state will move .... (I may be wrong) but this time I do not see US administration and their deep state have same sort of cohesion as they had during Bush era or under Obama Administration

I was watching the FOX News interview last night & the 2-3 Hostages topic was raised.

First of all, lets be clear that IK was not referring to Dr. Shakil Afridi (the man who led US to the location of OBL).

He was talking about an American and an Australian - not certain about the 3rd. IK said that good news was to follow within the next 48hrs.

Now when the question was raised about Dr. Shakil Afridi - IK was hesitant, but finally gave in to the idea for a swap for Dr. Aafia Siddiqui - but that would be at a later stage.

I'm guessing they were not interested in the idea as it would have seemed that Dr. Aafia S. was one of the (main) points for PAK's Wishlist.

If IK was to broker a deal, it can only be in the form of a swap & that can boost his image & help him get re-elected after 4 Years.

I think both men are on the same page of staying in power & will do whatever necessary to get re-elected.

Back
Top Bottom