What's new

'IIFA good for India-Sri Lanka relations'

prototype

Reaction score
Mumbai: Sri Lanka cricket captain Kumar Sangakkara and his teammate Sanath Jayasuriya believe that IIFA Awards 2010, to be held in Colombo on June 3-5, are a "big opportunity" to promote Sri Lanka in Bollywood and foster a better relationship between the two countries.

"It's a big opportunity to promote Sri Lanka among the film fraternity here. Sri Lankans are very big fans of Bollywood and the film industry is very popular in Sri Lanka," Sanath Jayasuriya said.

"Sri Lankans are looking forward to this big event. It's nice for our country and good for the relations between the two countries," he added.

Kumar Sangakkara, captain of both the Sri Lankan cricket team and actress Preity Zinta's Indian Premier League (IPL) team Kings XI Punjab, agrees that Bollywood has a huge presence in Sri Lanka.

"Bollywood is a great hit in Sri Lanka and all over the world. I think everyone in the world has sat up and taken notice of how big Bollywood is, how attractive it is and how talented the stars are," Sangakkara said.

He will reprise his role of a captain in charity cricket matches in Colombo between Indian celebrities and Sri Lankan cricketers, to be organised by the International Indian Film Academy (IIFA) to help rehabilitate former Tamil Tiger child soldiers.

"It will be lot of fun and lot of entertainment. It is also a very touching humanitarian cause as a village for 100 families will be built. Entertainment tied with IIFA humanity project and also Cricket for Children where child soldiers will be re-educated, rehabilitated and given a better way of life, is a great initiative," Sangakkara said.

The wicket keeper and left-handed batsman said he was a big Bollywood movie buff.

"The first Hindi movie I watched was 'Bombay'. Then I saw 'Lagaan' and have watched others like 'Monsoon Wedding' and 'Water'. I like quite a few and the messages the films carry are very relevant and touching," Sangakkara said.

While all-rounder cricketer Jayasuriya likes Shah Rukh Khan's movies, Sangakkara likes all the Khans, appreciates Om Puri and Naseeruddin Shah's work and was all praise for Bollywood actresses.

"I have seen few Shah Rukh Khan films. On the local channels, Hindi movies are shown always. Sometimes we watch them even when we don't know the movie name. I like Shah Rukh Khan movies and never miss them," Jayasuriya said.

Sangakkara said: "I like Shah Rukh, Aamir and Salman. I have seen Om Puri and Naseeruddin Shah in various roles. And there are some most talented and beautiful ladies of the world in Bollywood."

Asked whom they would like to see performing at the IIFA Awards, Jayasuriya quipped: "I would always like to see Aishwarya Rai performing on stage."

Sangakkara had "no particular favourite".

"I would like to see all the actresses who would come to Sri Lanka. If they do perform on stage, it will be an added attraction," he said.

Tamils from India hugely protested against IIFA Awards being held in Sri Lanka following allegations of a genocide against Sri Lankan Tamils during the war against the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) and continuing discrimination against them.

The South Indian film associations have decided to boycott any actor who participates in the awards ceremony in Sri Lanka.

Asked about their take on it, Jayasuriya said: "I want the entire Bollywood to come to Sri Lanka. You are all welcome to our country and we will look after you with great care. It's between Sri Lanka and India. We share a very good relationship and we want to strengthen it further."

Sangakkara said: "I think the whole spirit of IIFA is to transcend all barriers - social and political. I think IIFA would break down barriers and build the relationship. It's a great opportunity for Sri Lanka to showcase its hospitality."

http://sify.com/news/iifa-good-for-india-sri-lanka-relations-news-national-kf4r4caidgi.html

World's 4th richest man to talk business in SL

Mukesh Ambani, the Chairman and Managing Director of Reliance Industries- the largest private sector enterprise in India, and the world's 4th richest man will arrive in Sri Lanka to participate in Indian Film Academy Awards’ (IIFA) Global Business Forum.

The forum is geared towards making Sri Lanka an investment hub. It is considered to be the highlight in the scheduled events and will define the economic and intellectual component of the four day long IIFA weekend. The forum will convene an elite group of speakers representing industry, government and academia in a candid panel discussion on the sectors that power Trade, Commerce & Investment, Cricket and Entertainment, and examine promising areas of cooperation between Sri Lanka and India.

While serving as a platform to showcase Sri Lanka to a delegation of 50 high ranking members of India’s corporate and business world (including Ambani), the Forum will be broadcast by CNBC and CNN-IBC to over 46 countries while also attracting a host of other local and international media.

IFFA Global Business Forums in the past have attracted potential investors and businessmen to the host destination, which has resulted in a range of economic benefits to destination.

Forbes Magazine values Ambani’s personal wealth at USD 29.0 Billion, making him the world's fourth richest person and Asia's wealthiest person.

Mukesh Ambani directed and led the creation of the world’s largest grassroots petroleum refinery at Jamnagar, India, with a current capacity of 660,000 barrels per day (33 million tonnes per year) integrated with petrochemicals, power generation, port and related infrastructure. Today, he leads the largest private sector conglomerate in India. Ambani will fly into Sri Lanka on his plane (Boeing 737 BBJ2).

Sri Lanka - World's 4th richest man to talk business in SL

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom