What's new

Idols vandalised, temple set on fire in Kurigram

Cheepek

Reaction score
Country
India

Miscreants vandalised two idols of Hindu gods Shiva and Manasa and set fire to a temple in Phulbari upazila of Kurigram early today.

The incident took place at Nawdanga village in the upazila between 3 and 4am, reports our Lalmonirhat correspondent quoting Fazlur Rahman, officer-in-charge (OC) of Phulbari police station.

Police rushed to the spot upon information in the morning, the OC said, adding that members of the local Hindu community were alarmed by the incident.

About 40 percent of the temple structure was affected in the fire, he added.

Ratikanta Roy, the priest of the temple, said that he was woken from sleep by his neighbours Golzar Rahman and Badal Chandra who told him about the fire.

He, along with the locals, managed to douse the fire.

"I did not see who vandalised the idols and set the temple on fire," he said.

"My father and grandfather used to perform puja at this temple. After my father's death, I am also performing puja here," he said.

Sushil Chandra Roy, president of Nawdanga Union Puja Udjapan Parishad, said that they were horrified by the incident.

"The matter has been informed to the upazila administration and police. Preparations are underway to file a case in this incident," he said.

Ratan Roy, general secretary of the union unit of Hindu Bouddha Christian Oikya Parishad, said that the incident is a threat to them.

"Miscreants might have done this to create panic among Hindus," he said adding that there will be agitation if necessary to bring the perpetrators to justice.

"Police are investigating the incident. The miscreants will be arrested and brought under the law," OC Fazlur Rahman said.

Phulbari Upazila Nirbahi Officer (UNO) Suman Das told Daily Star that he was not aware of the matter. Necessary measures will be taken after looking into it, he said.

Miscreants vandalised two idols of Hindu gods Shiva and Manasa and set fire to a temple in Phulbari upazila of Kurigram early today.

The incident took place at Nawdanga village in the upazila between 3 and 4am, reports our Lalmonirhat correspondent quoting Fazlur Rahman, officer-in-charge (OC) of Phulbari police station.

Police rushed to the spot upon information in the morning, the OC said, adding that members of the local Hindu community were alarmed by the incident.

About 40 percent of the temple structure was affected in the fire, he added.

Ratikanta Roy, the priest of the temple, said that he was woken from sleep by his neighbours Golzar Rahman and Badal Chandra who told him about the fire.

He, along with the locals, managed to douse the fire.

"I did not see who vandalised the idols and set the temple on fire," he said.

"My father and grandfather used to perform puja at this temple. After my father's death, I am also performing puja here," he said.

Sushil Chandra Roy, president of Nawdanga Union Puja Udjapan Parishad, said that they were horrified by the incident.

"The matter has been informed to the upazila administration and police. Preparations are underway to file a case in this incident," he said.

Ratan Roy, general secretary of the union unit of Hindu Bouddha Christian Oikya Parishad, said that the incident is a threat to them.

"Miscreants might have done this to create panic among Hindus," he said adding that there will be agitation if necessary to bring the perpetrators to justice.

"Police are investigating the incident. The miscreants will be arrested and brought under the law," OC Fazlur Rahman said.

Phulbari Upazila Nirbahi Officer (UNO) Suman Das told Daily Star that he was not aware of the matter. Necessary measures will be taken after looking into it, he said.

If the miscreants were Hindu Indians - they would sweep into power.

Thank almighty Allah this is Bangladesh. Which means the miscreants will face swift justice.

Hindu sectarianism threatens Bangladesh.

Despite NRC/CAA and cow cola over the border - Hindus don’t want to leave Bangladesh.

Our Hindu population is growing.

@Bilal9

Thankfully no casualty. Now police need to catch those maggots and make them pay for their vandalism...
India is partly responsible for these type of vandalism. These are intimidation tactic to force Hindus to leave the country for India. As India is keeping a big welcome mat for them to come and get easy citizenship through CAA. I have noticed these type of vandalism increased in the last few years, particularly CAA-NRC debate became hot 2-3 years ago.

Some miscreant are calculating that, Hindus are ''timid'' people, if they can create some panic among the Hindus, they will easily leave the country, and their land properties could be easily captured. This is not about religious bigotry or hate, this is purely material greed. Harming physically is not the agenda. Even when religious motives are present, such as insulting holy figures of Islam, or religious tension in India, the focus of Bangladeshi rioters are usually smashing idols and attacking temples, not harming Hindus physically.

After independence in 1971, very few Hindus were actually killed in purely religious motivation in Bangladesh. Far far lower than what happened in India on a per capita basis. You can not give any incidence in Bangladesh where 5-10 Hindus were killed in religious riot, but in India, such figures run thousands.

Last edited:
India is partly responsible for these type of vandalism. These are intimidation tactic to force Hindus to leave the country for India. As India is keeping a big welcome mat for them to come and get easy citizenship through CAA. I have noticed these type of vandalism increased in the last few years, particularly CAA-NRC debate became hot 2-3 years ago.
@UKBengali , now attack @Homo Sapiens ! How dare he is blaming India ( although partly for now) ? Doesn't he know that , a prosperous Bangladesh is the national interest of India?:sniper: :sarcastic:

Last edited:

Some miscreant are calculating that, Hindus are ''timid'' people, if they can create some panic among the Hindus, they will easily leave the country, and their land properties could be easily captured. This is not about religious bigotry or hate, this is purely material greed. Harming physically is not the agenda. Even when religious motives are present, such as insulting holy figures of Islam, or religious tension in India, the focus of Bangladeshi rioters are usually smashing idols and attacking temples, not harming Hindus physically.

After independence in 1971, very few Hindus were actually killed in purely religious motivation in Bangladesh. Far far lower than what happened in India on a per capita basis. You can not give any incidence in Bangladesh where 5-10 Hindus were killed in religious riot, but in India, such figures run thousands.
Now if someone says because Hindus are targeted in BD , same will happen with Muslims in India, is it a cycle?

Didn't the ex - prime minister told " the country was at risk of hearing "uludhhwani" from mosques, replacing the azan" and came to power with a majority

Now if someone says because Hindus are targeted in BD , same will happen with Muslims in India, is it a cycle?

Didn't the ex - prime minister told " the country was at risk of hearing "uludhhwani" from mosques, replacing the azan" and came to power with a majority

I don’t give a toss about Indian Muslims!!!

Their forefathers fell for Gandhi-Nehru propaganda.

They will pay for the stupidity of their forefathers.

Get that through your head!

Begum Zia was talking about the India-leaning policies of BAL and Hasina Bibi in an election campaign. But, you are using it to spread lies to suit your comments.

I don’t give a toss about Indian Muslims!!!

Their forefathers fell for Gandhi-Nehru propaganda.

They will pay for the stupidity of their forefathers.

Get that through your head!
We treat all Indians who treat India as their mother land as equals irrespective of religion, if some Muslims feel they are oppressed they can follow mohamads teachings and follow his advice and migrate.

We treat all Indians who treat India as their mother land as equals irrespective of religion, if some Muslims feel they are oppressed they can follow mohamads teachings and follow his advice and migrate.

They were told India would be a communal disaster, they were told of the risk of hindutva

There are 240 million Indian Muslims, they have their own land and area's

They can create their own vast Muslim areas, states within a state

Jinnah was always right, partition was right in 1947, it's right now

They were told India would be a communal disaster, they were told of the risk of hindutva

There are 240 million Indian Muslims, they have their own land and area's

They can create their own vast Muslim areas, states within a state

Jinnah was always right, partition was right in 1947, it's right now
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Jinna was wrong ,if he was right we would not be having worlds second largest Muslim population in the world,and Pakistan and BD would have been one country today.

There will not be anymore partition of india ,people who don't like can move out as per the teachings of Islam.

Begum Zia was talking about the India-leaning policies of BAL and Hasina Bibi in an election campaign. But, you are using it to spread lies to suit your comments.
Why it is a lie?
She said those words or not?
Whatever the context, a leader of opposition and ex head of a country can say this?

Back
Top Bottom