What's new

IDEAS EXPO 22 NEW SYSYEMS

IDEAS 2022 BTV - Salman Ali

1669807468394.png

Having locals/awaam walking around IDEAS is not a gauge of success. What the exports look like is the key indicator. We keep on talking about "potential" to grow but nothing but slight incremental changes is what we see. $150M run-rate is despicably small if we are to compare others like Turkey that are churning out multi-billion dollar exports.

On the individual weapon replacement, the proof of the pudding is in the eating i.e. the army has to buy into BW-20 and variants. Not sure if a decision has been made. $800M - $1.2B to refit POF assembly lines for a new foreign weapon is not an excessively large amount but it goes to show how strapped the country is for funding.

Good to see new APFSDS rounds and local manufacture of .50 and 5.56mm rounds in Pakistan. There is a pretty good market globally, specially in the United States, for this ammunition.

Hopefully Aimpoint MOU will help with local development as well. Decent, incremental enhancements.

Last edited:
Having locals/awaam walking around IDEAS is not a gauge of success. What do the exports look like is the key indicator. We keep on talking about "potential" to grow but nothing but slight incremental changes is what we see. $150M run-rate is despicably small if we are to compare others like Turkey that are churning out multi-billion dollar exports.

On the individual weapon replacement, the proof of the pudding is in the eating i.e. the army has to buy into DW-20 and variants. Not sure if a decision has been made. $800M to refit POF assembly lines for a new foreign weapon is not an excessively large amount but it goes to show how strapped the country is for funding.

Good to see new APFSDS rounds and local manufacture of .50 and 5.56mm rounds in Pakistan. There is a pretty good market globally, specially in the United States, for this ammunition.

Hopefully Aimpoint MOU will help with local development as well. Decent, incremental enhancements.
On PA's gun replacement I would say its the priorities that are defining what PA buys and for at least the current time PA has no interest in getting a new weapon (in future sure yeah) but currently PA's focus is towards arming the already available guns with rails (I.e aiming sights, thermal sights, Grips etc). I've seen this myself that several standard infantry units have already gotten guns with rails fitted so that is in my opinion definitely a plus. Of course PA to complement this by replacing the un upgraded T56s and G3s with newer BW- series of guns with PA eventually ending up with a mix of old upgraded guns and newer BW- series guns in the very near future I would say.

That is because 7.62x51 remains an extremely potent round despite all the experimentation with 5.56mm, the army is probably thanking its lucky stars that it did not plunge into this swap in the 90s and early 2000s as India did and then having to go back to the caliber with outright purchases of new 7.62x51 rifles. Modified G-3s with optics and modernized furniture is the right call and beyond that, I am actually all for a local design. A country with ordnance factories dating back 60 years should be able to come up with our own design and evolve.

Last edited:
Last edited:
That is because 7.62x51 remains an extremely potent round despite all the experimentation with 5.56mm, the army is probably thanking its lucky stars that it did not plunge into this swap in the 90s and early 2000s as India did and then having to go back to the caliber with outright purchases of new 7.62x51 rifles. Modified G-3s with optics and modernized furniture is the right call. I am actually all for a local design. A country with ordnance factories dating back 60 years should be able to come up with our own design and evolve.
yes but rails + sights are being deployed on all guns. i shared 2 tenders here last month , i believe one was for 10k set of gun rails (split into 5k for T56 and 5k for G3) , and the other tender was for 500 something rails for T56 , 500 something rails for G3 , similarly 500 something rails for LMG and so on with HMG & SteyrSSG69 guns. And ofcourse i saw the standard infantry units with rails several months before this tender.

Found a very interesting thing in GIDS brochure. They are offering UHMWPE armour. That would mean very light weight solution.
Recently there has been a lot of cooperation with Nurol lately who offer composite armour for vests and vehicles and pretty much every new HIT vehicle has Nurol armour embedded for example the HIT Protector uses B7 level armour from nurol. So that is the way toward.

Recently there has been a lot of cooperation with Nurol lately who offer composite armour for vests and vehicles and pretty much every new HIT vehicle has Nurol armour embedded for example the HIT Protector uses B7 level armour from nurol. So that is the way toward.

UHMWPE is different tech than composite. It’s basically plastic material and it’s ultra light.

I was surprised to find it in GIDS product portfolio.

When default is artificiality created, then yes the military is at liberty of choosing whichever products it wants. "In my opinion if these were two private firms " there are no good or big private doing any r&d or even making any quality product in Pakistan. So you can rule that excuse out as well. Its the state that has to do r&d in Pakistan since there is acute shortage of private firms
dude, there are no big private firms in this sector because of military itself.

firms like rwr and bcube have a potential to grow, but the militaries themselves dont give big-ticket projects to them and hand them over to nescom or nrtc (no visibility, so they can waste resources in whatever way they want).

the three forces have a habit of concentrating the entire supply chain under themselves and ironically, have it in-grained in their psyche that the civilians are either corrupt or incompetent (ironic because nrtc and nescom are run by civvies too, but led by military guys). recent example is the PAF's attempt to establish nastp instead of outsourcing those tasks to better managed private firms mentioned above.

since NASTP is being funded through Public Sector Development funds, it is taxpayers' money.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom