What's new

IAF to raise four more squadrons of Su-30 MKI fighter

how many Sukhois are right now in the inventory?

Even by conservative estimates, final number of MKI should be around 300 when induction program finishes by end of this decade. Now with FGFA expected entry by 2020, IAF would do well to spread the squadrons to the extent possible. This shall help the ground & maintenance crew to hone their skills and get prepared for 4.5 & 5 generations of FA that will comeup in future. As of now MKI is closest to that.
Won't be a bad idea to station a few MKIs in Andaman (don't know if this is actually feasible), with mid air re-fuelers, that would be a mighty projection of power in south Asian Region

Even by conservative estimates, final number of MKI should be around 300 when induction program finishes by end of this decade. Now with FGFA expected entry by 2020, IAF would do well to spread the squadrons to the extent possible. This shall help the ground & maintenance crew to hone their skills and get prepared for 4.5 & 5 generations of FA that will comeup in future. As of now MKI is closest to that.
Won't be a bad idea to station a few MKIs in Andaman (don't know if this is actually feasible), with mid air re-fuelers, that would be a mighty projection of power in south Asian Region
MKIs will be 270 only

16 MKIs/Squ sounds a low number

Why, normal squads had also 16 + 2 Trainers, with multi role fighters and twin seaters not dedicated for trainers only, the number general size will remain the same (MMRCA 1 x squad = 18 fighters), but will include more twin seaters that will be as capable as their single seat counterparts.

That would be the SEAD version

SEAD with dumb bombs? Not really, the MKI will most likely use Kh 31 versions, while Rafale can do it with AASM versions.

Good question and yes we would be changing them all to super standards .

I say yes and that the currently speculated costs are for the 42 fighters + the upgrade of the first at least 90 x MKIs that we have got from Russia. But since the upgrade is still not fixed, we have no official statement on that.

Why, normal squads had also 16 + 2 Trainers, with multi role fighters and twin seaters not dedicated for trainers only, the number general size will remain the same (MMRCA 1 x squad = 18 fighters), but will include more twin seaters that will be as capable as their single seat counterparts.
I was under impression that NORMAL squads are (18+4) 22 no strong. So I was expecting atleast 18 like MMRCA.

Plus I am one of the believers of " quantity is an additional quality ". I like Chinese for that.

Back
Top Bottom