What's new

Hybrid wheat expected to revolutionise agri sector

It's GMO, they just call it Hybrid not to shock consumers.

With those GMO seeds, (wich are expensive by the way) you need much more fertilizers and much more pesticides, also new crop deceases will appear.

You will be trapped in the cycle to fight a plethora of new deceases, add more fertilizers (all natural soil fertility cycle will be dead), buy new types of more resistant seeds , and so on .....

After few years the farmer will be left with a dead soil, a huge drop in productivity and unpaid loans in the bank.....

@Pakistansdefender
I have limited knowledge but I am sceptical of it. I think in uzair younus program one lady talked about modified cotton seed.

The main thing is in previous generation, dandruff was scare. Now everyone has it and it doesn't go away. Would shampoo companies make a formula to remove it, ever? @peagle

Though it's hybrid not GMO but still I don't believe it. To increase something you have to lose something.
Wr increased life expectency without losing anything
You dont have to lose somwthing

Kino is best example

GMO has no health problems its just stupidity

GMO is the future..if you want productivity

This is just like saying if we had no antibitiocs we woudlnt have to fight resistance to antibitiocs!!

I come from a minor landholding family. National average wheat yield from the old local wheat was in the range of 9 to 10 maunds per killa (acre) during the early 1950's. Even with the increased use of fertilizer and good irrigation, our lands never yielded more than 20 maunds per acre which used to drop to nearly half if it rained before the crop was ready for harvesting. Thanks to to efforts by the Ayub Khan gov't and Lyallpur Agricultural College (that's how it was called then) scientists, a hybrid Mexican wheat was introduced known as Mexi-Pak. This was the first dwarf variety which was not too badly affected by the off-season rain and the yield in our land shot up to more than 50 maunds per acre touching as high 80 maunds per acre in the good quality soils.

While the area under the wheat crop increased only slightly ; from around 20--million acres to 21.5-millon acres; total national wheat production increased from under 5-million tons to over 24- million tons during the 1948 - 2011 period. Important point to remember however, is that our population increased from 35-million in 1951 (first census in Pakistan) to the current 220-million. Can one imagine the food shortage in Pakistan if the modified dwarf varieties had not been introduced by Ayub Khan? We therefore should not write-off hybrid/GM wheat.

P.S. pre-1950 data about acreage under wheat cultivation and total production is an intelligent estimate.

Last edited:
I come from a minor landholding family. National average wheat yield from the old local wheat was in the range of 9 to 10 maunds per killa (acre) during the early 1950's. Even with the increased use of fertilizer and good irrigation, our lands never yielded more than 20 maunds per acre which used to drop to nearly half if it rained before the crop was ready for harvesting. Thanks to to efforts by the Ayub Khan gov't and Lyallpur Agricultural College (that how it was called then) scientists, a hybrid Mexican wheat was introduced known as Mexi-Pak. This was the first dwarf variety which was not too badly affected by the off-season rain and the yield in our land shot up to more than 50 maunds per acre touching as high 80 maunds per acre in the good quality soils.

While the area under the wheat crop increased only slightly ; from around 20--million acres to 21.5-millon acres; total national wheat production increased from under 5-miilion tons to over 24- million tons during the 1948 - 2011 period. Important point to remember however, is that our population increased from 35-million in 1951 (first census in Pakistan) to the current 220-million. Can one imagine the food shortage in Pakistan if the modified dwarf varieties had not been introduced by Ayub Khan? We therefore should not write-off hybrid/GM wheat.

P.S. pre-1950 data about acreage under wheat cultivation and total production is an intelligent estimate.
Hybrids and GMO non adoption is pakistan biggest problem

Better seed quality or new seeds can increase yield several times

Back
Top Bottom