What's new

HQ-9 Surface to Air Missile and Pakistan Air Force

whose military is consistently ranked amongst the top 10 worldwide.
Focus on what you wrote yourself. SAMs are just one part of AD. If ours was pathetic, we wouldn't be in the top 10 list.

Pakistan's air defence systems are quite pathetic for a country whose military is consistently ranked amongst the top 10 worldwide.
Its because our enemies have shitty pilots and dude missile systems , you remember all 4 Israeli made spikes missiles which they fired missed the targets and their Israel made SAM shot down their own heli :lol:

HQ-2 has been totally phased out like 10 years ago. They were used as interception target practice tools. Good things to practice on since they are very fast and smaller sized then typical cruise missile or ballistic missile but slower than ballistic missile of course.

FD-2000 I always thought Pakistan already purchased but someone who seems to know military things said that was not the case. FD-2000 is one form of export version of HQ-9. Just the first type so weakest and now probably mostly for exercises and testing.

HQ-2 has been totally phased out like 10 years ago. They were used as interception target practice tools. Good things to practice on since they are very fast and smaller sized then typical cruise missile or ballistic missile but slower than ballistic missile of course.

FD-2000 I always thought Pakistan already purchased but someone who seems to know military things said that was not the case. FD-2000 is one form of export version of HQ-9. Just the first type so weakest and now probably mostly for exercises and testing.
A while back the army was close to acquiring the FD2000, but the deal didn’t go through.

As far as I know, they still want it and will get it eventually (as their LRSAM requirement still remains), or maybe a more recent version of the system. The purchase may have been halted because they needed funds for something else or wanted to wait for a better system.

However I do not remember the PAF showing clear interest in the HQ-9, the PAF will definitely get new SAMS sooner or later too, the requirement is there, but I believe they have a higher chance of buying a western system (likely Italian) than a Chinese one given their historical usage. Though maybe if they don’t find what they want in the west they’ll look into Chinese options again.
Army controls SAMs, not airforce.
Not entirely true. Army has their own AD. Air force has their own. PAF AD is very significant.

the PAF will definitely get new SAMS sooner or later too, the requirement is there, but I believe they have a higher chance of buying a western system
PAF should not ignore Russian option too.(S350 with some modern radars)
By the way, which type of air defence system Italy can offer us?
Italy has provided us Sea Captor but for long range, any guess?

PAF should not ignore Russian option too.(S350 with some modern radars)
By the way, which type of air defence system Italy can offer us?
Italy has provided us Sea Captor but for long range, any guess?
PA tried to get pantsir. I hope you know what the outcome of that was. Russia Is not a reliable source for military tech for Pakistan at the moment.

Initially it was air force which introduced SAMs like Crotale, SA-2s, while army preferred guided AAAs and MANPADs, it's introduction of FM-90 & LY-80 in army gave them good capabilities compared to PAF but still main air defense lies on air force.
PAF operates 10 batteries of Spada 2000 MRSAMs Among other AD systems and plans to introduce another LRSAM somewhere in the near future.

Back
Top Bottom