What's new

How Bangladeshis see India

But what happens to Bangladesh when India shines? Do we get a little bit of the sheen, too? Some of us certainly hope so. Our businessmen are eager to shake hands with the billionaires who are at the helm of India's burgeoning economy; our vocational schools are full of expectant students, their ears plugged into English-language tapes so that, someday, we may get one or two of those call-centres ourselves.

nice to know, and i wish it comes true.

In the meantime, India has developed the peculiar paranoia of the strong towards the weak. Despite the low per-capita income of the average citizen, Bangladesh provides India with $1.5bn in trade every year. Yet India refuses to open its economic borders to Bangladesh. There is yet to be an implemented economic treaty that would allow our products to cross the border into India without heavy tariffs. This trade imbalance only serves to reinforce the feeling that we live in the shadow of a bully. India also sees Bangladesh as a nation of looming Muslim refugees - possibly an echo of the refugee crisis of 1971, but in this case poised to upset India's economic growth and religious equilibrium. This time, if we flee our flooded delta, India will not harbour us with the same enthusiasm as before.

Sad if it is true.

think about indias neighbours..

india always see anti indian activities in china.

india always see anti indian activities in pakistan.

india always see anti indian activities in Bangladesh.

Bhutan is a pet country to india.

Nepal is also coming out of indian circle.

but china, pakistan, and bangladesh including nepal does not have any problem within themselves.

u gonna be kidding me.......have u ever heard of BLA........ever heard of the internal problems of china in tibet and xinjiang province......nepal also is going through a phase of political disturbances......

u gonna be kidding me.......have u ever heard of BLA........ever heard of the internal problems of china in tibet and xinjiang province......nepal also is going through a phase of political disturbances......

@ What do mean by BLA ? Is it Bangabhumi Liberation Army who are fighting for separate Bongobhumi (greater division of Khulna and Barishal) ?

@ If it is so than "Delhi bohat door hai". I remember once I went to India in Nedia district. There I saw many people in khaki half pant are standing in a line in front of the refugee camp. On inquery it was found that they gathered there to protest to Indian govt for their struggle for Bongobhumi inside Bangldesh. I took some snaps also. O, it was owefull !!!!!!!!

^ it was Balochistan Liberation Army.....working for freedom of balochistan from pakistan.....

He is saying it is INDIA THAT HAS PROBLEMS WITH MOST OF ITS NEIGHBOURS LIKE CHINA, PAKISTAN , BANGLADESH, NEPAL AND SRI LANKA, BUT THESE COUNTRIES DO NOT HAVE ANY ISSUES WITH EACH OTHER.

But what happens to Bangladesh when India shines? Do we get a little bit of the sheen, too? Some of us certainly hope so. Our businessmen are eager to shake hands with the billionaires who are at the helm of India's burgeoning economy; our vocational schools are full of expectant students, their ears plugged into English-language tapes so that, someday, we may get one or two of those call-centres ourselves.

nice to know, and i wish it comes true.

In the meantime, India has developed the peculiar paranoia of the strong towards the weak. Despite the low per-capita income of the average citizen, Bangladesh provides India with $1.5bn in trade every year. Yet India refuses to open its economic borders to Bangladesh. There is yet to be an implemented economic treaty that would allow our products to cross the border into India without heavy tariffs. This trade imbalance only serves to reinforce the feeling that we live in the shadow of a bully. India also sees Bangladesh as a nation of looming Muslim refugees - possibly an echo of the refugee crisis of 1971, but in this case poised to upset India's economic growth and religious equilibrium. This time, if we flee our flooded delta, India will not harbour us with the same enthusiasm as before.

Sad if it is true.

This moron writer thinks our destiny lies within India. Women....

was it not discussed during MMS visit to bangladesh?

They have been discussed during every visit of indian ministers and gov officials. Number of promises made have been steadily rising over the years. The only one implemented was the export of 10 million pieces of garment products, sort of a joke for the third largest garments/apparels manufacturing country in the world.

---------- Post added at 03:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:23 PM ----------

Well most of the points raised does not apply now. This was written in 2007 when points raised were valid. But it also true that under Khalida Zia BD had in a way become a state sponsor of insurgent and terrorist groups and you can't expect friendly ties with India because of this.

(1) The Farraka problem was there until the 1996 water treaty of Ganga was signed, what we need now is proper implementation. Once the Teesta is finalised this should be resolved.

(2) BD goods particularly textiles will not have quota free and even duty free access if I remember correctly. India is set to be a huge market for BD textiles

(3) Transit agreement to Nepal and Bhutal is already operational, once the BD transit agreement is signed there should be full connectivity between these countries.

(4) There are already plans for allowing BD channels to broadcast in India. A few channels have already been given permission as well.

I like your sensible posts. By the way, did you mean "now" instead of "not" in (2)?

She is daughter of Daily star infamous editor Mahfuz Anam. What better can be expected from her. She may write in Guardian but NO WAY she represent Bangladeshi view on india. Besides, she spent most of her life outside Bangladesh to know about Bangladeshi people, their sufferings and view. If she try to sell her opinion as Bangladeshi view that is gross misrepresentation.

She is daughter of Daily star infamous editor Mahfuz Anam. What better can be expected from her. She may write in Guardian but NO WAY she represent Bangladeshi view on india. Besides, she spent most of her life outside Bangladesh to know about Bangladeshi people, their sufferings and view. If she try to sell her opinion as Bangladeshi view that is gross misrepresentation.

Instead of writing about whose daughter she is and what she represents, why not tell us why you disagree with her objectively. Point by Point.

Instead of writing about whose daughter she is and what she represents, why not tell us why you disagree with her objectively. Point by Point.

Thats what an indian would perfer giving importance to out touch and cultivated opinion. I dont fall for indian tricks and give importance by writing response to some opinion that has no substence and no connection to Bangaldeshi people.

Thats what an indian would perfer giving importance to out touch and cultivated opinion. I dont fall for indian tricks and give importance by writing response to some opinion that has no substence and no connection to Bangaldeshi people.

We have more important work than concentrating on Bangladesh. I failed to understand, What Bangladeshi wants ? You people are never happy, before 1971 unhappy with Pakistan and after 71, unhappy with India. There is some serious problem with Bangladesh. There is no major dispute, still so much problem. :fie:

She is Bangladeshi and not Indian.

I have observed, Most of the Bangladeshi posters says "Hasina is Indian agent". Who selected her PM ??

(1) The Farraka problem was there until the 1996 water treaty of Ganga was signed, what we need now is proper implementation. Once the Teesta is finalised this should be resolved.

Keyword is proper implementation. Sure India may sign a deal on paper however I am very much sure that it will deprived us in practice until Bd grow some wild teeth. Indians are master of breaking promise. I don't trust Indian even a bit.

yes, since 2007 how many Bengalis have been killed in large numbers by indian security forces?

i know if i were bengali, i'd have a general disdain for those people. Bangladesh even got screwed over by the recent land-swap deal in my opinion --though it isn't our (Pakistani) problem.

yes, since 2007 how many Bengalis have been killed in large numbers by indian security forces?

i know if i were bengali, i'd have a general disdain for those people. Bangladesh even got screwed over by the recent land-swap deal in my opinion --though it isn't our (Pakistani) problem.

Look who's talking of Bangladeshis being screwed. :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom