What's new

Honour Killings : The crimewave that shames the world

Status
Not open for further replies.
Robert Fisk: A place of refuge from fear and guilt

The final part of our series visits a Jordanian women's group that has opened shelters nationwide to protect victims of marital abuse

Friday, 10 September 2010

Pg-43-honour-killin_450009t.jpg

Many women in Jordan are kept in sheltered accommodation, fearful of death after being accused of 'honour' crimes

It is a small villa in a shady street, with a sunny courtyard and trees, and a kitchen tucked away at the end of an alleyway, and there are cheerful women in scarves to explain Jordanian laws on marriage and divorce to girls who come to them, frightened, desperate, in fear of their lives.

But within the villa lie the dark secrets of a society, stories which are not supposed to be told, tales of female terror and death which are meant to remain within the family, within the community, within the refugee camps. These stories are not for strangers from the West. Yet Nadia Shamroukh – perhaps the most exuberant, courageous, intelligent woman to emerge in this women's organisation – wants to talk: about the 4,000 women who have passed through her group's shelters; about her staff who work for nothing; about their lawyers who fight for the rights of women in the courts; about their 14 offices in Jordan which try to protect the country's women from violence and death threats. Irbid is the busiest, along with the Palestinian refugee camps.

Just now, she is dealing with one of the curses of marital abuse: Egyptian women who are courted by Jordanian men in Cairo and agree to marry them – Jordanian papers are more valuable than an Egyptian passport – only to find when they reach Amman that their husbands are Jordanian gypsies.

"These men do not want to work and they expect their wives to make money for them by dancing in bars or by prostitution or begging,"
Shamroukh says with anger. "The women come to us for help and the Egyptian embassy here is very good and we find ways for a divorce and to get them back to Egypt."

One of her organisation's lawyers has been threatened by the family of a Jordanian gypsy who wanted to keep his wife – the woman, a Cairo university student, has just returned to Egypt to study law and to help women's groups there. The police had treated her as guilty for not staying with her husband. There are nine women hiding in Shamroukh's shelter this week, most of them fearful of death after being accused of "honour" crimes. There were 18 last week. Yet Nadia Shamroukh glows as she takes me round the villa – it has been bought by the women's union – where women, separated by divorce and family divisions, bring their children to see their fathers.

Three couples are sitting silently under a tree, talking quietly, a little girl playing on a slide in the garden. There is a humanity about this place. There's an internet cafe on the first floor and a shop sells chocolate and sandwiches. There's a small library for the women up the road. And there's a one-room salon for the women in the shelter to learn hairdressing. A young staff member walks up with a coffee from the sandwich shop and a file of papers; two of the shelter girls smile at her. "We try to give the women training and to help them earn money, to be strong enough to go ahead with their lives," she says. "Maybe we can find a chance of a job for her. When we first wanted to open this shelter, the government and police came to us and wanted to guard it – they wanted to turn it into a jail. We said 'no'. This is not what we want at all."

A Jordanian Palestinian woman, who asks me not to reveal her identity, talks of a happy marriage with her cousin, who opened shops in Amman and became wealthy – "When a man has enough money, he wants more women," she says with sadness – and of how her marriage then failed, her husband taking a second wife and then, after her death in a car accident, a third. It is a story of death threats and family feuds over children and running from home.

She took a taxi south to Aqaba, alone and frightened and with only a little money. The taxi man tried to find her an apartment but another driver arrived. I am waiting for another sordid story of betrayal. I am wrong. "The two men talked about my case, then one of them said: 'We are all Palestinians – we must all help each other.' And so they brought me back to Amman – they didn't let me pay the fare – and found out the address of the shelter and brought me here. I stayed here for 14 days and worked in the kitchen. The women's group tried to fix up a divorce with my husband and they got my kids back. They helped me start a coffee shop and I made clothes and bought a new car. My son is now in sixth grade." Success.

The Jordanian Women's Union, which set up the shelter, began in 1945. It dissolved 12 years later when King Hussain imposed martial law, and restarted in 1974. In 1981, it was dissolved again. It was the same old Arab failure: a police force suspicious of women's groups and a government which wanted to control every aspect of the country's social life. "We went to the supreme court and they gave us the right to work again," Shamroukh says. She is herself a schoolteacher, but trained in law. "We were reinstated in 1990, opened a hotline for women six years later and started our shelter here in 1999 – the first one in the Arab world."

The shelter staff hold elections every three years and have won the admiration of NGOs and European governments. Their money comes from groups in Spain, Italy and Sweden as well as the EU. They took money from Britain – until the Iraq invasion. "Dfid [The Department for International Development] was helping us up to that date, but after the invasion we decided we couldn't take British money any more and informed the government in London of this," Shamroukh explains – not, I thought, without a certain pleasure. "The UK ambassador here telephoned us and we went to see him and he said he was sorry to hear of our decision because many people in Britain were also against the war. He said that he personally was against the war. But we said we couldn't continue the relationship with the UK after what it had done."

Shamroukh organises international seminars for Arab human rights workers. In July, women came to Amman from Bahrain, Lebanon, Egypt and the occupied Palestinian territories to discuss secularism and civil society and women's rights in an Islamic community. She and her colleagues travel around the Arab world, keeping in touch with other women's shelters, trying to teach local police forces that they must protect rather than judge women, that they must treat them as innocent rather than guilty, that they must not arrest them as criminals and return them to violent families.

In Jordan, the government has also opened a shelter, of which Shamroukh approves. "We are dealing with family law in the Arab world: in Lebanon, Palestine, Egypt, Jordan. We approach all this through the civil law. The judges fought back. They said they couldn't interfere with religion. So now we are going to target the Arab League. Here in Jordan, there are Christians as well as Muslims, and per capita the Christians suffer from 'honour' crimes more than the Muslims."

Many of Jordan's Christian community – perhaps most – are Palestinian refugees.

Robert Fisk: A place of refuge from fear and guilt - Robert Fisk, Commentators - The Independent

Robert Fisk: The truth about 'honour' killings

All this week, 'The Independent' has been highlighting a global scandal: the murder of thousands of women every year in the name of 'honour'. Here, Robert Fisk concludes a remarkable series of reports by reflecting on his findings

Friday, 10 September 2010

Pg-10-friday-essay-_449882t.jpg

Supporters of Tehrik-e-Minhaj ul Quran, an Islamic Organisation protest against 'honour killings' of women in Lahore
AFP/ GETTY IMAGES

The old Pakistani maulawi laid two currency bills on the table between us, one for 50 rupees, the other for 100 rupees. "Now tell me," Rahat Gul asked, "which is the more valuable?" I thought it was a trap – which it was, in a way – but he lost patience with me and seized the 100 rupee note. "Now come with me." And he stood up and led me down a narrow corridor into a small bedroom. There was a camp bed, a military radio and, at the far end, a giant British-made safe. He fiddled with the combination and hauled on the iron door. Then he placed the 100 rupee bill inside and locked the vault. "You see?" he said. "This is like a woman. She must be protected and looked after, because she is more precious than us."

Reader, this is no joke. This whole piece of entirely spontaneous theatre occurred several years ago in what was then called the North West Frontier Province. But I actually possess a videotape of the entire proceedings, in which you see me following the divine to his safe and hear him comparing the worth of the currency bill to the worth of a woman. I was supposed to be impressed by the high status which he accorded women. What struck me, of course, was that this high status appeared to accord women an exclusively economic value – she was a bank account – and that this might lie behind the whole misogynistic system which led us to the curse of "honour" crime.

"Two things will happen when you write your reports about 'honour' killing, Mr Robert," an old Egyptian friend tells me in Alexandria. "Firstly, they will say you are using Muslims as whipping boys – even though this has nothing to do with Islam. And then you will be accused of demeaning the Arab nation or Egypt or Jordan or Pakistan or Turkey." Well, we shall see.

I walk into the office of Ahmed Najdawi, an elderly Jordanian lawyer whose walls are decorated with photographs of his hero, Saddam Hussein. There is even a picture of Saddam greeting a very proud Mr Najdawi. A secular man, then, a man of the people, for Saddam remains a hero to many in Amman. But no, Ahmed Najdawi often represents the families who commit "honour" killings, those who have killed their wives or daughters or sisters.

He believes the whole subject has become "super-exposed" for political reasons, because "Muslims are an easy target". This happens all over the world, he insists. "Although mostly it has to do with Eastern cultures." He talks about the Ottoman empire, how its rules formulated "primitive laws that defended primitive customs", how "customs are stronger than laws."

I know what's coming next. Didn't we Westerners used to treat women the same way? "In Europe, they used to burn women for adultery." Yes, it's true. And not long ago, unmarried British women who were pregnant were locked up in lunatic asylums. Anyway, didn't "honour" matter to European men in the Renaissance?

And back in Beirut, I open my old copy of Shakespeare, to that most bloody of plays, to Titus Andronicus. The hero's daughter Lavinia has been raped and mutilated, and Andronicus is contemplating her "honour" killing.

Titus: Was it well done of rash Virginius
To slay his daughter with his own right hand
Because she was enforced, stained and
deflowered?
Saturninus: It was, Andronicus...
Because the girl should not survive her shame
And by her presence still renew his sorrows.

So Lavinia's fate is sealed.

Titus: Die, die, Lavinia, and thy shame with thee,
And with thy shame thy father's sorrows die.

But does the father's sorrow die?

"There is remorse, for sure," Najdawi says. "They commit these crimes, motivated by the cultural aspects. But when time calms them down, they feel regret. Nobody kills a wife or a sister or a daughter without later feeling remorse."

Yet nothing comes closer to Titus Andronicus than the insistent, terrible stories of gang **** by United States personnel in Abu Ghraib. You hear this repeatedly in Amman, and a very accurate source of mine in Washington – a man who deals with military personnel – tells me they are true. This, he says, is why Barack Obama changed his mind about releasing the photographs which George W Bush refused to make public. The pictures we saw – of the humiliation of men – were outrageous enough. But the ones we haven't seen show Americans raping Iraqi women.

Lima Nabil, a journalist who now runs a home for on-the-run girls, sips coffee as the boiling Jordanian sun frowns through the window at us. "In Abu Ghraib," she says, "women were tortured by the Americans much more than the men. One woman said she witnessed five girls being raped. Most of the women in the prison were raped – some of them left prison pregnant. Families killed some of these women – because of the shame."

Lima has written many articles about Jordan's "honour" crimes. At least one was censored. She has – like other journalists – been threatened. "Out here, we have closed communities, where everyone knows everyone else. In tribal law, in the old days, the sheikh would protect you. Now the government is trying to take over."

Mr Najdawi agrees. "We have just had an amendment to the law – it gives equality to men and women over 'honour'-related issues. It says that a woman must be treated the same way if she kills her husband. But either way, if a husband kills his wife, this is regarded as murder with intent and he cannot receive less than 10 years. However many mitigating circumstances, the crime was still intentional." And it's true that Amman courts have now been handing out 14-year sentences to men for "honour" crimes and intend to make the guilty serve their full sentences.

Lima Nabil tells a story that I hear from three other journalists and NGOs in Amman. The details are the same – and the story is true. In the town of Madabad, a wife left her husband for a lover and they went to the tribal leader to prevent family "honour" being invoked. "The tribal leader gave the husband a divorce and ordered the wife to marry her lover," she says, "Then he ordered her lover's sister to marry the abandoned husband. Thus if the lover claimed he'd stolen another man's wife, the husband could say he was sleeping with his sister!" But each time I heard this tale, I asked myself the same question. Tribal "law" may have prevented violence – but what about the sister who was forced to marry the divorced husband?

Among the toughest of the women to whom I spoke was Frazana Bari. A lecturer at the Qaid al-Azzam University in Islamabad, she makes frequent appearances on television, and manages – by her free thinking – to provoke the anger of some of her own students; which could be a dangerous thing to do in Pakistan. Outside her office, I notice that students have scribbled their displeasure on a flyer for a theatre workshop in which she collaborates. Bari is thus a necessary figure in her country, a solo voice amid a choir of familiar chants.

"'Honour' for men is connected with women's behaviour because they are seen as the property of the family – and of the community," she says. "They have no independent identities, they are not independent human beings. Men also think of women as an extension of themselves. When women violate these standards, this is a direct blow to the man's sense of identity. So of course, women must inculcate these values to their children. You fail as a mother and a wife if your children don't meet these standards."

And it's not long before the word "feudal" begins to sprinkle our conversation. "Islam becomes a tool to kill only when a certain feudal system exists. You have to locate the issue in a social context. There are more "honour" killings in Pakistan than India – and in Pakistan, there have been no land reforms, there is a strong land-holding system, tribal lands are uncontrolled by the central government. It's a feudal system. There was barbarism in European history – and now some parts of Pakistan are like Europe many centuries ago. But the cruelty that happens now..." Here Bari shakes her head. "Recently, there was a pregnant woman who was suspected of having an extra-marital affair and her family set dogs on to her and she died. These are very torturing, brutal ways to kill people. I have, intellectually, a problem to explain this."

I found no one who could understand the origins of this sadism; especially as many "honour" crimes – particularly among Palestinians – appeared to be provoked by arguments over money and inheritance. The Mediterranean sloshes away outside the Gaza coffee house where Naima al-Rawagh and I meet. She oversees what she calls the Women's Empowerment Programme, a petite woman in a scarf who speaks polished English. "From my experience, it's not a religious issue, it's a cultural one," she says. Like "tribal", I'm getting a bit tired of hearing about "culture" in this context. Why not build a heritage trail between the sites of famous "honour" killings? But Naima brings me up short.

"Specific conditions in religion do not apply to the cases in Gaza. In recent years, we noticed that many women were killed because of money. A brother prefers to kill his sister to take her inheritance and then says she dishonoured the family." Frazana Bari's fellow academic in Islamabad, South Asian studies professor Tariq Rahman, seemed to be picking up the same theme – and, unwittingly, that of my own safe-box maulawi – when he wrote that "since a woman is, as it were, a treasury or a vault where men's 'honour' is stored away, she is their property. She is to be guarded, of course, but only as a box of treasure is guarded – not for itself but for what it contains."

Reflecting on this very point, Naima al-Rawagh sighs. "Believe me," she says with a sad smile, "it was better 1,400 years ago than it is now." Najdawi said something similar to me in Amman. "Our Arab, Eastern society worships a woman," he said. "The Prophet Mohamed said 'take half your religion from your wife.' After that, things went downhill in the Abbasid period, when we became more primitive. We got the hijab, the niqab..." This is almost as confusing as the explanations for the very tradition of "honour" killing. Jordanians told me it came from Palestine, from men who once owned farms and villas and who now lived, 10 to a room, in ******* camps. Others said the idea came from Egypt, but two Egyptian women insisted to me – of course – that the tradition came from Saudi Arabia.

Naima al-Rawagh says she knows of no Palestinian men who have been killed for "honour", although she tells a frightening tale of a man who wanted to re-marry five years ago. "His wife was working and she had her own financial resources and she spent all her money on him. She sent him to Egypt to buy products – but he used the money to buy a new wife. When he got back, she didn't kill him. She drugged his tea and then cut his penis off. She was put in jail. He was admitted to hospital – and died." But if this has an element of black comedy, Naima speaks of real frightfulness among the men of Gaza.

"There was a girl here who fell in love with her cousin. He had *** with her and told all his other cousins. So they went to the girl and said: 'If you don't sleep with us, we'll tell on you.' So she was raped by many of the cousins and became pregnant. Her father was very ill and she did not want him to have a heart attack. So she gave herself in marriage to one of the cousins. But the cousin will divorce her as soon as the wedding is over, because he does not know if it is his child. Someone from her family came to me for consultation. We don't give directions – we just open their eyes; they have to choose the right thing to do. I did not support this marriage – but the girl thought this would save her from these terrible rumours."

Naima, I should add, is newly married at 38. Her husband, she says, agrees there is great violence against women but thinks that women are the main cause "because they do not treat the family well". Naima says he has advised her to open a centre for male victims of violence. Naima has a Bachelor's degree in international health policy and planning from Brandeis University. Her husband is a grocery store owner.

Yet I remain perplexed. Investigating crimes of "honour" raises some disturbing questions about my own reaction to the Arab, Muslim world in which I have lived for 34 years. I have learned many things in this society which outshine our "civilised" West. I cannot fail to be impressed by the respect and care with which children treat their parents. No elderly relative is put away in a nursing home. Ageing mothers and fathers are looked after at home and die in their own beds with their families beside them. There is an instant warmth towards strangers – towards blue-eyed Westerners like me – who are invited into homes and lunched and dined with families who might have every reason to hate the lands from which they come.

Yet I also witness many less enchanting sides to this society. In the Palestinian camps, the long nights are filled with the screaming and rage of parents and children – for this is what being a refugee means, no home, no future, large families in two rooms, heat, mosquitoes, humiliation. And many children are beaten by their fathers in the Arab world – far too many; I hear of it all the time, and occasionally, sadly, I see it with my own eyes. Because this is not my land, I have to accept, socially at least, that this is a patriarchal society – which was the answer I gave to a reader who asked me why my recent massive tome on the Middle East had only 15 references for women in the index. There were also individual references to women, but I had to explain that in the Middle East it was the men who made the decisions.

I usually shy away from easy questions and answers. Why do men – and women – so often raise their voices in arguments to screaming pitch? Why is this energy used up in so furious and so worthless a manner? Oddly, it was Najdawi who, without prompting, tried to explain this when he talked about "honour". "I'm not defending 'honour' crimes," he said. "But it's the way society functions. And of course, we are very emotional people – that has been the case throughout history."

I'm not happy with this remark. We can all be emotional. And yes, in the West, jealous husbands and wives kill their spouses, even their children. But this is a system; "honour" crimes have precedents, they are set in traditions. They have a twisted, distorted reasoning behind them. "Religious men are very important in this matter," Najdawi says. "After the French Revolution, the West broke the stranglehold that religious people had on society. Unfortunately, here, we haven't managed to get rid of the hold of religious men – and the West has also reinforced our religious men because it was you, the West, that created the genie – the Taliban – in places like Afghanistan."

Like Najdawi, many of the women involved in exposing these "honour" murders as a crime against humanity remind Westerners that it is not just a Muslim phenomenon, that it should not be politicised by blaming only one region of the globe. Rana Husseini, who has written extensively on individual cases in the press and is author of a brave and shocking book – Murder in the Name of Honour – is among those in Jordan who point out that the killing of women "has occurred in several countries, among Muslims, Christians, Yazidis, Hindus and Sikhs." And most of the women I spoke to across the Middle East talked of tribal rather than religious traditions.

But the grim truth is that Westerners can no more change this – can no more persuade village elders in Afghanistan of the benefits of gender equality and an end to "honour" killings – than we could have persuaded Henry VIII of the benefits of parliamentary democracy or Cromwell of the laws of war.
The height of such pomposity came the other day from Navi Pillay, the UN's High Commissioner for Human Rights. "Violent 'honour' attacks," she pontificated, "are crimes that violate the right to life, liberty, bodily integrity, the prohibition against torture or cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment, the prohibition on slavery, the right to freedom from gender-based discrimination and sexual abuse or exploitation, the right to privacy, the obligation to denounce discriminatory laws and harmful practices against women." Phew. I can see how they'll be shaking in their shoes after that in Baluchistan and Helmand province.

I am sitting on a chair in the outer room of a legal firm in Amman and a woman with a worried face, middle aged, walking slowly, passes me, head down, eyes on the floor. Is there some "honour" fear at work here too? Am I looking at another potential victim? Journalistic instinct, I guess. But Asma Khodr's office is full of light. And just inside the door, there is an old typewriter, its black and red printing ribbon still threaded through the spools, sitting atop a shelf. It belonged to Emily Bicharat, the first woman lawyer in Amman, the first president of the Jordanian Women's Union, who died four years ago. Asma Khodr is proud of this antique, and of Bicharat's role in fighting for women in a male-dominated society. Her father must have thought the same about his daughter. For on her desk stands a framed letter to a much younger Khodr, about to enter the law, from her now dead father Hanna, dated 20 December 1972.

He writes, in thin Arabic script: "Imagine you will be a lawyer defending human rights, understanding arguments and taking the side of the victims. I see you serving our homeland with a very big mind and persuading others to accept their responsibilities by your speeches of great conviction." Not a bad letter to get from your Dad, I say, and Asma Khodr laughs. And of course, I search for signs of that conviction in a woman who has also served as a minister in the Jordanian government.

"That woman you saw who was just leaving my office," she says. "She has had 20 years of marriage and there is much domestic violence – and no decent relations with her husband. And she cannot leave or run away from home in case he makes a case against her and kills her. The law here has been amended to stop this happening – but people still don't believe it."

So I was right about the middle-aged lady. But has the law changed that much? Is that woman really safe? I'm not sure I like Khodr's reply. "It is not logical to change the law at once when the values of the society are not up to that level," she says. "There must be gradual development. Yet we cannot ignore the fact that changes are going on. In our new laws, 95 per cent of court judgments are a minimum of 10 years for 'honour' crimes. Arab law is largely based on French law, which is patriarchal. No, there is nothing in the Koran for 'honour' killings, apart from lashes for adultery. Historically, stoning was a Jewish practice, afterwards used by conservative Muslims. Yes, it was patriarchal, a practice that is easy to spread. But in Middle Ages Europe, women were victims of killings because of witchcraft, were they not? The church played the same patriarchal role in those days."

We talk late into the afternoon, about the women's union, about Egypt and poverty, about religion. "The most important way of 'empowering' women" – I admit I've never liked that phrase – "is by encouraging economic opportunities," she says. "You need social justice and development to get rid of patriarchy. You cannot just rely on the law. No institutional or state powers can do all this. Some people who believe in this patriarchy are trying to exploit even God."

Then Asma Khodr says something very un-lawyerly. "I believe in the principle that human beings are pure," she says. "Crime is a product of the community. This is what you have to change. Women and men are mostly victims of this." I think she is being a bit kind to men. Yes, they are victims, but clearly they often lack the remorse or sorrow of which Najdawi spoke so mournfully.

I buy a paper as I leave Khodr's office. My eye catches a headline. "Man receives 10 years for killing sister," it says. He originally received 15 years for bludgeoning his 15 year-old sister to death with a rock after stabbing her 33 times, but the sentence was reduced when the victim's father – in other words, his own father – dropped charges against his son. And then the cause of the crime: the 15 year-old girl was married – and already divorced. The story, written by the indefatigable Rana Husseini, seems to capture every tragedy in the book of 'honour' crimes. The girl's under-age marriage, its failure, the brother's fury at finding her "looking at a man" after leaving home one night, the court's acceptance of the victim's father forgiving his own son. But the three judges – Nayef Samarat, Talal Aqrabi and Hani Subeiha are the names of these genuine heroes – refused to entertain the idea of an "honour" crime. And 10 years is 10 years; which is worth more than a hundred Rupees.

Robert Fisk: The truth about 'honour' killings - Robert Fisk, Commentators - The Independent

Best thing about Fisk writing on this issue - besides his beautiful prose, great research and analysis (as always) - is that he cannot be blamed by denialists and protectors of these crimes as an orientalist or a "bad image propaganda" guy since he has lived in the region, writes actively on Palestine and is a voice of sanity in the world of op-eds on global cultural relations.

how can people humiliate, torture & kill their own blood, Even animals don't do that....

Events like this force me to think that may be Human Race has failed itself!!

Best thing about Fisk writing on this issue - besides his beautiful prose, great research and analysis (as always) - is that he cannot be blamed by denialists and protectors of these crimes as an orientalist or a "bad image propaganda" guy since he has lived in the region, writes actively on Palestine and is a voice of sanity in the world of op-eds on global cultural relations.

Oh Robert Fisk. Journalist par excellence!
Read his articles and a book on Lebanon, excellent read. Also writes extensively on Palestinian issue. Has a thorough knowledge about the region.

However, this "honor killing" is NOT confined to a religion. It is prevalent in many areas of Northern India too, not to mention incidents within Lebanese or Egyptian Christian communities.

What is baffling is why is this "concept" so prevalent in these areas only, in this day and age? Why are people in these particular geographical areas so stuck with this "tradition"? It cant be poverty, it cant be lack of education, it cant be a particular religion, then what? What makes "men" in these regions objectify women?

What can be done to stop/prevent "honor crimes"?

1) Setting up separate courts for expedited hearing and punishments of the people guilty of these crimes.

2) Punishing not only people who killed but also who colluded (includes tribal leaders, village elders, extended families etc).

3) Punishing the people who were involved in the cover up including police etc.

4) Highlighting these incidents on a national level using press to set it as a deterrence.

5) Senior cops to be transferred if any such incident occurs within their jurisdiction. It would make the police to be be pro-active, especially in the rural areas and develop informers who would tip them off before any such organized crime occurs.

I don't know if we can ever totally eliminate such honor killings unless the society progresses and changes its thinking completely. That is a longgggggg process.

Husband, 90, jailed for 17 years for battering his 89-year-old wife to death with a hammer

Read more: John Bunz jailed after he battered his wife to death with a hammer | Mail Online

article-1310339-0B19C107000005DC-323_233x332.jpg

A 90-year-old New York man who bludgeoned his 89-year-old wife to death has been jailed for 17-and-a-half years.
John Bunz battered his wife of 68 years, Virginia, 30 times on the head and arms with a hammer following a row at the retirement village flat they shared in Amherst, New York.
A relative discovered the woman's body together with Bunz, who was suffering from self-inflicted injuries after an apparent suicide attempt.
Yesterday a frail looking Bunz had to be helped to his chair in Buffalo's State Supreme Court before sentencing.
The retired chemist pleaded guilty to reduced charges of first-degree manslaughter in July.
He had faced a more serious second-degree murder charge, but prosecutors agreed to the plea because of his age.
'I'm extremely sorry about what happened,' he told State Supreme Court Justice Russell Buscaglia, who also ordered five years of 'post-release supervision' by the courts.
Defence lawyer David Steinhilber told the judge the apparent murder-suicide attempt was a 'horrible, tragic anomaly'.
The killing 'will forever' define Bunz, an otherwise good man, husband and father, Mr Steinhilber said.

article-1310339-0B19C2FF000005DC-762_468x334.jpg

Tragic: John and Virgina Bunz had been married for 68 years
Prosecutor Paul Bonanno stressed to the judge that Bunz's son and daughter had agreed to the plea deal and spoke of the 'extremely violent nature' of the attack.
Bunz had gone through court-ordered mental tests both before and after his guilty plea to ensure he was mentally fit to be sentenced.
The killer will be 112 by the time he finishes his parole.
Detective Lt Richard S Walter of Amerherst Police said that nobody will ever know exactly what happened but that after they got up that morning the Bunzes started arguing over 'her health care issues'.
He explained: 'She gets agitated, he gets agitated. At some point, he gets a hammer from somewhere in the home.
'It was an extremely violent crime scene.'

Bunz, pictured at a previous hearing in March, suffered self-inflicted injuries after an apparent suicide attempt
Mrs Bunz died from the hammer beating she received, but her husband then fetched a pillow and held it over her face 'to make sure the job was done'.
He then grabbes a kitchen knife and cut himself on his neck, wrists and above the eyes in what Det Lt Walker said was an apparent suicide attempt.
The pair were found by their daughter at 10am.
After Bunz was sentenced, Erie County District Attorney Frank A Sedita III said that he understands that this is effectively a 'death sentence' for the 90-year-old.
But he said Bunz deserved a lengthy prison sentence because of the violent ferocity of his crime.
Mr Sedita said: 'This was not a mercy killing. This was not a gentle killing. This was not, as far as we know, part of any murder-suicide pact.
'This was an extraordinarily violent act.'

Read more: John Bunz jailed after he battered his wife to death with a hammer | Mail Online

Honor killing is an ancient ribal tradition,rather than anything religious..Family feuds,highly inflated egos,teens who are silly and do things that are against their culture..All play a part in a situation to go towards an a;ll out torturous murder..
The term "Honor killing" is more of a generalization used for murder of women in certain part of the world.There is no one reason for these murders,and there is no single way of stopping it..Reminds me of a real life honor killing i witnessed in my boyhood..I now blame the girl as much as i blame the men who murdered her...She behaved in such a stupid way that with her 30 tribal men lost their lives due to the fuss she unnecessarily created..And she knew all the way that a jealousy war will erupt if she dates two men from opposing tribes at the same time..All could have been avoided if she had behaved according to the culture she was living in.

I agree its an evil.

Honor killing is an ancient ribal tradition,rather than anything religious..Family feuds,highly inflated egos,teens who are silly and do things that are against their culture..All play a part in a situation to go towards an a;ll out torturous murder..
The term "Honor killing" is more of a generalization used for murder of women in certain part of the world.There is no one reason for these murders,and there is no single way of stopping it..Reminds me of a real life honor killing i witnessed in my boyhood..I now blame the girl as much as i blame the men who murdered her...She behaved in such a stupid way that with her 30 tribal men lost their lives due to the fuss she unnecessarily created..And she knew all the way that a jealousy war will erupt if she dates two men from opposing tribes at the same time..All could have been avoided if she had behaved according to the culture she was living in.

I agree its an evil.

...... and we wonder why do we have honor killings in subcontinent:blink::blink:

Teens acting stupid and dating someone outside your tribe is your justification to the killings?

It seems like you are saying "I agree its an evil, but its a necessary evil" or you wouldn't put the blame victims

I now blame the girl as much as i blame the men who murdered her

awesome!!!

Girl's got to be a slut so its all right to kill

What has this got to do with the topic on hand, viz-honor killings?

Because we're showing it doesn't happen only in the muslim world... it happens everywhere- some non muslim countries have it more than others.

But as you know, unjustified killings are wrong anywhere and everywhere. They are most common in areas where people often suffer psychological issues or are from tribal areas. This encompasses most of the world, including a lot western countries. Sadly, unjustified tribal killings are most common out of other muslim countries in rural pakistan, afghanistan, iran (but less), etc.

I have lived in Australia, Pakistan and Dubai. In Australia, I saw disgusting cases (a father keeping his daughter in a dungeon and having 5 kids with her over years). While Australia was a western 'civilized' country, crime rates are very high and I assume it is due to deterioration of society (I grew up there- you'll be surprised how many kids don't have two parents due to divorce/violence) and in Pakistan we hear of 'honour' killings. This is why I love living in U.A.E as a **** or killing is so uncommon that just one would make the headlines. It feels secure...

awesome!!!

Girl's got to be a slut so its all right to kill

I believe the man who was you-know-what with her too is supposed to be punished in Islamic law... but tribal areas have their own laws, so both should have been to blame.

I believe the man who was you-know-what with her too is supposed to be punished in Islamic law... but tribal areas have their own laws, so both should have been to blame.

so that justifies what he did & of course next time we must blame the murdered for his/her murder, Freaks

Honor killing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Countries where honor killing is not legal but is known to occur include:

* Turkey: In Turkey, persons found guilty of this crime are sentenced to life in prison. There are well documented cases, where Turkish courts have sentenced whole families to life imprisonment for an honor killing. The most recent was on January 13, 2009, where a Turkish Court sentenced five members of the same Kurdish family to life imprisonment for the "honour killing" of Naile Erdas, 16, who got pregnant as a result of ****.

* Pakistan: Honor killings are known as karo kari (Sindhi: ڪارو ڪاري) (Urdu: کاروکاری). The practice is supposed to be prosecuted under ordinary murder, but in practice police and prosecutors often ignore it. Often a man must simply claim the killing was for his honor and he will go free. Nilofar Bakhtiar, advisor to Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz, stated that in 2003, as many as 1,261 women were murdered in honor killings. On December 8, 2004, under international and domestic pressure, Pakistan enacted a law that made honor killings punishable by a prison term of seven years, or by the death penalty in the most extreme cases. Women's rights organizations were, however, wary of this law as it stops short of outlawing the practice of allowing killers to buy their freedom by paying compensation to the victim's relatives. Women's rights groups claimed that in most cases it is the victim's immediate relatives who are the killers, so inherently the new law is just eyewash. It did not alter the provisions whereby the accused could negotiate pardon with the victim's family under the Islamic provisions. In March 2005 the Pakistani parliament rejected a bill which sought to strengthen the law against the practice of honor killing. However, the bill was brought up again, and in November 2006, it passed. It is doubtful whether or not the law would actually help women.

* Egypt: A number of studies on honor crimes by The Centre of Islamic and Middle Eastern Law, at the School of Oriental and African Studies in London, includes one which reports on Egypt's legal system, noting a gender bias in favor of men in general, and notably article 17 of the Penal Code : judicial discretion to allow reduced punishment in certain circumstance, often used in honor killings case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom