What's new

Help to procure books published in Pakistan

@jamahir the way human beings are infesting the world with our growing population vertical farming is the way to go

Yes, sir. There are so many advantages about VF. I am thinking of creating a thread about modern agriculture in the coming days. Especially Indian farmers will need to adapt to a more scientific method of agriculture, given their problems of suicide and general suffering because of socio-economic reasons.

Though one thing about VF. Most of the pics showing VFs from American visualizations on Google images show sky-scraper VFs but I believe a VF should be max five storeys.

I am a hobbyist agriculturalist imported some equipment and developed some to help me in my experiments. Hopefully next year I will have a setup ready to do experimental raspberry and kiowa blackberry farming here in rawalpindi.

Nice !

Hydroponics as well ?

It is my believe that development of human brain is better with reading books because that way ones imagination runs wild and create the scenario mentally, while when watching movie or hearing an audio(to an extent) the entire imagination area takes a sleeping pill. I may be wrong of course.

Good point, but listening to stories is good as well. BBC World Service had fine voice artists ( one being Benedict Cumberbatch ) and good music in their story broadcasts. I keenly remember 'The Day of the Jackal', 'Report on an Unidentified Space Station' and 'Dracula'.

Yes, sir. There are so many advantages about VF. I am thinking of creating a thread about modern agriculture in the coming days. Especially Indian farmers will need to adapt to a more scientific method of agriculture, given their problems of suicide and general suffering because of socio-economic reasons.

Though one thing about VF. Most of the pics showing VFs from American visualizations on Google images show sky-scraper VFs but I believe a VF should be max five storeys.

Nice !

Hydroponics as well ?

Good point, but listening to stories is good as well. BBC World Service had fine voice artists ( one being Benedict Cumberbatch ) and good music in their story broadcasts. I keenly remember 'The Day of the Jackal', 'Report on an Unidentified Space Station' and 'Dracula'.
Waiting for your agri thread.

I am not only into reading books but collecting them as well, my digital library at amazon is over a 1000 and my personal digital lib is over 10,000 all read.

My print version books collection too is extensive. While I loved auto biographies, historical research like the ones you posted, religion to such an extent that once every employee of central library NY and many in library of congress knew that I was doing extensive research on religion but it was fiction that really attracted me. Asimov, Arthur C Clarke, Talbot Mundy, Heinlein, Edgar Rice Burroughs, Stephen W Bennet, L E Modesitt Jr, Raymond L Weil, etc are only few of the authors whose books I have read/collected.

But Urdu has also been my passion I have read and collected books written by many authors including naseem hijazi, Aslam Rahi, Mohiuddin Nawab (not his stupid devta series), Mushtaq A qureshi, etc but it is my opinion that some of the best creators of urdu fiction were either Indians or of Indian Origin like the late Asrar Ahmad (Ibn e Safi) his Imran Series and Hameed fareedi Series are part of my collection, although I had to spend some real money to get the entire collections.

Siraj Anwar's Romantic Fiction is one of the best, although in the later years he suffered from creative impotence and repeated the old plots with new names and slight changes.

I am looking for his book "Sheeshay Ki Chataan" (Rock of glass as could be translated in English) published by 20th Century Publication (Besween Sadi Publications) Darya Ganj New Delhi. Print version I guess would be difficult to get here. Already spoken to three book stores who are known to help import book from India but they have all excused. So I would rather prefer a digital version, although rekhta dot com has it as an online read version but it is read only and is missing last few chapters.
@jamahir , @Joe Shearer , @AfrazulMandal

I am willing to pay the price through payment gateways.

Anyways Joe if you have friends living in any of these cities they can borrow the book from these libraries and then! Meanwhile I will try and get it from NDU library.

I am sorry my library of congress membership expired few years back due to negligence since it was never a priority during my visits to US I didn't get it renewed. Many desis live in D.C and N.C.Here's the list of libraries having this book:

View attachment 644017

I have good news and bad news.

I just contacted Nadim's younger son, after getting his number from another Kashmiri friend (yes, I do have Kashmiri friends). He not only knew about the book but without prompting told me about the publisher, and was very sure he will be able to get his hands on a copy of Sheeshay ki Chattaan.

Unfortunately, thanks to Modi and his messing up, nobody can reach Daryaganj at the moment.

If you are willing to wait, I believe your copy will be with you sooner than later - if 56" doesn't destroy us before that.

I will be in Pakistan next week. I will try to locate the books and then contact you email when I get back. No need to pay. It would be a pleasure on my part to help a dear old friend. All the best.

Thank you very, very much.

I need that to correct the necessarily India-centric treatment in books like Praval; without that correction, I will always feel sheepish and like an ignorant oaf in front of knowledgeable friends who know the other side of the story.

@PanzerKiel
That correction will have to be at some future time. Right now, what I upload tonight is all I can manage, given the sources that I have.

I need that to correct the necessarily India-centric treatment in books like Praval; without that correction, I will always feel sheepish and like an ignorant oaf in front of knowledgeable friends who know the other side of the story.
Well, I will be in Pakistan on the 4th so if you need anything [gift from Pakistan] I will be more than happy to oblige. I have no idea if I will able to post it to you from Pakistan but if not I can post it when I get back to UK. That is if I make it back with Covid running rampant and possible complications over division of our grandad's land in Pakistan amongst relatives who can be aggressive. The last time I was there a minor incident between two 'factions' in the village turned into a gunfight with AK-47s.

Well, I will be in Pakistan on the 4th so if you need anything [gift from Pakistan] I will be more than happy to oblige. I have no idea if I will able to post it to you from Pakistan but if not I can post it when I get back to UK. That is if I make it back with Covid running rampant and possible complications over division of our grandad's land in Pakistan amongst relatives who can be aggressive. The last time I was there a minor incident between two 'factions' in the village turned into a gunfight with AK-47s.

Good grief!

Do take care, and stay away from unnecessary risks. The best of luck for the 4th of July (!!) and onwards.

I saw something similar in a small town outside Yamunanagar in Haryana, but India being India, it was two violently vocal groups, each of which based its claims to world dominion on two diminutive revolvers.

This was next to the police station, and even the building exuded an air of studied indifference.

Nice !

Hydroponics as well ?

Thanks for the inputs, as I mentioned right now work is underway for a 3 storey VF. Already informed about the kind of plants we intend to raise there.

I have good news and bad news.

I just contacted Nadim's younger son, after getting his number from another Kashmiri friend (yes, I do have Kashmiri friends). He not only knew about the book but without prompting told me about the publisher, and was very sure he will be able to get his hands on a copy of Sheeshay ki Chattaan.

Unfortunately, thanks to Modi and his messing up, nobody can reach Daryaganj at the moment.

If you are willing to wait, I believe your copy will be with you sooner than later - if 56" doesn't destroy us before that.

Thank you very, very much.

@PanzerKiel
That correction will have to be at some future time. Right now, what I upload tonight is all I can manage, given the sources that I have.

Dear Joe Thank you very much for the efforts that you are making. Sorry for the late reply, it seems my wish has been granted (according to my better half) continuous interactions with labour and nursery people working at one of our farm houses both the boys, better/bitter half and I have contracted COVID 19. One is totally symptom free, other one developed mild symptoms and has recovered, better half too. As for good old me mild to moderate symptoms, with lot of coughing and some fever off an on. So far nothing serious, i think bad habits of younger days smoking etc do have side effect in the 40s. But hopefully we will be able to donate plasma to the needy soon as per wish and prayers of our elder one.

I too have good news and bad news, good news is the library I mentioned the book is there but has been checked out, as soon as it is back I'll hopefully get a copy of it.

Meanwhile I did ask some of my colleagues in Karachi to locate the dman publisher he may have a copy of it. So I'll keep you posted on the development.

Good grief!

Do take care, and stay away from unnecessary risks. The best of luck for the 4th of July (!!) and onwards.

I saw something similar in a small town outside Yamunanagar in Haryana, but India being India, it was two violently vocal groups, each of which based its claims to world dominion on two diminutive revolvers.

This was next to the police station, and even the building exuded an air of studied indifference.

I remember reading something like "educated people must take part in politics otherwise it will be left to the un-educated or the thugs".

Unfortunately its true for indo pak, while we have had our share of the illiterate and thugs and corrupts, who first led the country to being divided and then to the verge of dis-integration. We are not out of the woods yet, but a powerful Army albeit having corrupt and adventurist generals, perhaps the reality of thing at the verge of collapse helped us get out of real disaster. The fight for survival has been won but the fight for getting rid of the filth is on, IK despite his stupidity, poor selection of team and uni directional mind is an educated man, he's been there done that sort of guy. Nothing impresses him anymore and is relatively non-corrupt (financially only) compared to others is fighting a desperate war. Long story short the war for elimination is on.

An illiterate/un-educated person not only lack the mental acumen, lack of vision but lack of direction as well, to overcome his incompetence he direct his charge towards one form of religious extremism or the other. We had one example in the past thank goodness it was only in the cricket team.

So Modi is such a person, with tunnel vision and it is such a sad thing to see India heading towards the pit. While minorities are suffering and will be suffering a major part of hindus are and will be suffering those who are not consumed by fanaticism or fascism.

Like I said earlier, here I hope indians as a nation find a way out of this pit as a collective, otherwise I don't see India existing in present geographical form with this kind of people at helm of affairs few decades down the road.

it was two violently vocal groups, each of which based its claims to world dominion on two diminutive revolvers.

:lol:

Thanks for the inouts, as I mentioned right now work is underway for a 3 storey VF. Already informed about the kind of plants we intend to raise there.

Please keep the forum updated.

Dear Joe Thank you very much for the efforts that you are making. Sorry for the late reply, it seems my wish has been granted (according to my better half) continuous interactions with labour and nursery people working at one of our farm houses both the boys, better/bitter half and I have contracted COVID 19. One is totally symptom free, other one developed mild symptoms and has recovered, better half too. As for good old me mild to moderate symptoms, with lot of coughing and some fever off an on. So far nothing serious, i think bad habits of younger days smoking etc do have side effect in the 40s. But hopefully we will be able to donate plasma to the needy soon as per wish and prayers of our elder one.

I sincerely hope that you recover.

And very pleased about your decision to donate plasma.

@Joe Shearer Ok finally my people got to the publisher the book was initially called "The Myth of 1965 victory", it was renamed later all prints were purchased by Army, only couple copies exist in the world including library of congress.

I cannot copy response from the publisher it is just too hilarious.

The publishing rights of the book are now with an army printing press and it is permanently checked out of all libraries in Pakistan.

@Joe Shearer Ok finally my people got to the publisher the book was initially called "The Myth of 1965 victory", it was renamed later all prints were purchased by Army, only couple copies exist in the world including library of congress.

I cannot copy response from the publisher it is just too hilarious.

The publishing rights of the book are now with an army printing press and it is permanently checked out of all libraries in Pakistan.

Many thanks, Sir. I was under the impression that the renamed version was available, but it seems not to have been allowed publication.

@meghdut - you were right. I suspect that Shuja Nawaz got access to his copy fro the Library of Congress; he did some of his research in the USA.

Many thanks, Sir. I was under the impression that the renamed version was available, but it seems not to have been allowed publication.

@meghdut - you were right. I suspect that Shuja Nawaz got access to his copy fro the Library of Congress; he did some of his research in the USA.
I suspected as much when I read up on it. Still it was definitely worth a try, we could all share it if you got it somehow, alas!!:(

Hello @Joe Shearer i hope you are enjoying best of your health.

You may ask someone in Pakistan to deliver books to someone who is visiting Kartarpur Sahib.

I need help to get certain books published in Pakistan, but not available on Amazon, that will help me in my study of military history. I am willing to pay, on a case by case basis, as my resources are limited.

One that seems imminently necessary is
History of Indo-Pak War-1965 by Mahmud Ahmed

If anybody, within Pakistan or elsewhere, has any suggestions, it will be most obliging.

I am also trying to get hold of the Indian version

Illusion of Victory: A Military History of the Indo-Pak War-1965, Mahmud Ahmed, Lexicon Publishers, 2002 - India
Sir, this book was bought by the army and then have been kept in the store rooms since as it was against the Pakistani narrative of its victory in 65. You might not get it now. I did see ut in father's unit office cabinet in Rawalpindi a couple of years ago but unfortunately i was a bit young to read it fully. Instead i read 2 or 3 other books that were also present there. Quite bulky though. I bow resent my decision but i was only in 9th class then. Still, itbwas a very detailed book with maps and ORBATS etc.
Instead I would recommend you to read:
-Tragedy of Errors, East Pakistan Crisis- Lt Gen Kamal Matinuddin
-Crossed Swords: Pakistan, Its Army, and the Wars Within- Shuja Nawaz

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom