What's new

Hatf-IX - Tactical Multi-Tube Ballistic Missile

The proof is in the pudding. If they were that immune to missiles,they wont be bothered by Pakistan or any other country developing missiles. But the botheration is visible,and that proved that they are not immune to Pakistani missile threat as you suggest here. One of the big disadvantages of being network centriv is that if the chain is broken,they will be lost sheep. For example if the awacs or the reconescence satellite gets shot down?
For a system like nasr which has minimal reliance on external resources under extreme ciruimstances such minimalist systems can be far more useful and reliable than your network centric.
Extreme circumstances such as a high altitude high yeild nuclear detonation which will disrupt earth's ionsphere,and radio communication will be effected , and satellites may go offline due to emp burst. What will your netwok centric army will do then?

Last edited by a moderator:
for any body who thinks its a rocket
YouTube - Pakistan successfully conducts first test of Hatf 9 (NASR) Multi-Tube Ballistic Missile

both the videos show the initial energy bleeding manuver for test only enviorment thhad more than NASR

this manuver can only be done with guided missles not rocket the movement in NASR is very minute but initially it can be seen .

for those who think a nuke this small cant be built well than wt abt brifcase nukes?

This isn't BLEEDING maneuver; bleeding maneuver are done via gas dynamic control; this is :
http://www.defence.pk/forums/wmd-mi...ti-tube-ballistic-missile-25.html#post1689709

Plus it has been argued much that the latter maneuvering mechanism is more potent & is more capable to pull out more G's

Last edited by a moderator:
This isn't BLEEDING maneuver; bleeding maneuver are done via gas dynamic control; this is :
http://www.defence.pk/forums/wmd-mi...ti-tube-ballistic-missile-25.html#post1689709

Plus it has been argued much that the latter maneuvering mechanism is more potent & is more capable to pull out more G's

ok im not very educated in the subject so i beleave u but my point is the NASAR does MANUVER /COURSE ADJUSTMENT in th start of its flight which i thaught was the same as thhad missle ,even if im wrong the claims that its just a un guided rocket r shattered by the NASAR launch video ,right?

^^ i will also like to add that isnt the russian method just to increase the speed of spin of the rocket and is nt ideal for missles ?

ok im not very educated in the subject so i beleave u but my point is the NASAR does MANUVER /COURSE ADJUSTMENT in th start of its flight which i thaught was the same as thhad missle ,even if im wrong the claims that its just a un guided rocket r shattered by the NASAR launch video ,right?
Yes you got that right
^^ i will also like to add that isnt the russian method just to increase the speed of spin of the rocket and is nt ideal for missles ?
The missile is already spinning even if don't bleed energy or use [in case of Nasr] gimbled thrust...& your bold part I am afraid not right. Russian method basically is more simple simply because the mechanical movement of nozzle isn't necessary so the actuators & more especially the moving parts aren't architecture in the missile body; so the former method is more simple & more tension-free

So, the PA is willing to defer nuclear C&C decisions to division commanders and non-strategic units? Interesting...
The risk of detection and neutralization from this close to a battlefield is quite high. No guessing what an NFU policy says about imminent or failed NBC attack.
Sub-Kt device implies Pu based warheads. Exploding one of these over your own territory is absolutely nonsensical.

Sub-Kt device implies Pu based warheads. Exploding one of these over your own territory is absolutely nonsensical.

This is what's wrong with Indian armchair as well as actual strategist. They continue to look at Indo Pakistan nuclear standoff in context of cold war. In our case the rules, if any, are totally different. Cold War MAD was based on both the parties acting rationally. Our MAD is based on irrational behaviour. For us it is simple, we are ready to go down but we will take you down with us. So yes, we have low threshold for using nukes and we will use it on our soil. If your military wants to test our resolve they are welcome to do so. Do you think your political or military leadership will be willing to take that risk for a limited goal of "punishing Pakistan" after an alleged terrorist attack, which is supposed to be the goal of Cold Start? Even after the 2002 mobilization your businessmen were lobbying your government to backdown as the mobilization was a threat to making money. Just imagine what the threat of an imminent nuclear conflict will do to Indian business confidence. In other words, ability of India to launch any sort of conventional attack on Pakistan is non-existent.

Perhaps they meant that 10-20 of these missiles can be fired form one mobile unit , and knock out enemy

I think NASR is just the start of a series of simillar more sophosticated weapon systems. Pakistan has a history of building a whole family of missiles,one after the other. Perhaps they shoulnt have called this Hataf,as its different from Hataf family. Hopefully we will se Nasr variants soon. Keep your criticism coming,will be helpful for improvement of future multilainch missile systems.

I think NASR is just the start of a series of simillar more sophosticated weapon systems. Pakistan has a history of building a whole family of missiles,one after the other. Perhaps they shoulnt have called this Hataf,as its different from Hataf family. Hopefully we will se Nasr variants soon. Keep your criticism coming,will be helpful for improvement of future multilainch missile systems.

Actually what I think is that the name "Hatf" is assigned to a system that can deliver a nuclear payload....and for now,each and every "Hatf" can do the job...

there is a question in my mind from the start . . . . . .
can we convert NASR into ABM system like PATRIOT

there is a question in my mind from the start . . . . . .
can we convert NASR into ABM system like PATRIOT

The only missiles patriots have successfully downed were the medieval skuds. I havent heard patriots being succesfully used againt a more modern missile?

India should think twice

By S.m. Hali | Published: April 27, 2011

Pakistan has successfully conducted the first flight test of the newly developed Short Range Surface-to-Surface Multi Tube Ballistic Missile Hatf IX (Nasr), much to the chagrin of Indian defence planners, as is evident from the Indian Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses (IDSA) report titled Pakistan: Making Sense Of Nasr Ballistic Missile Test – Analysis. The IDSA report tries to nullify the analysis by the Pakistani experts. Undoubtedly, Nasr has been developed to add deterrence value to Pakistan’s Strategic Weapons Development programme at shorter ranges. With a range of 60km, Nasr carries both tactical nuclear and high-explosive conventional warheads. It is powered by a high-thrust, single-stage solid-propellant rocket motor. Nasr’s launch platform is a double-tube transporter erector launcher (TEL) capable of carrying two missiles with high accuracy and shoot-and-scoot attributes. This quick response system addresses the need to deter evolving threats. The test of Nasr is a very important milestone in consolidating Pakistan’s strategic deterrence capability at all levels of the threat spectrum. This is a new and very significant development because this latest missile system is in the category of tactical nuclear weapons. It is a low yield battlefield deterrent, which is capable of deterring and inflicting punishment on mechanised forces comprising armoured brigades and divisions. This was made possible because of miniaturisations to smallest level and it forecloses the Indian army’s options of Cold Start and proactive operations. The Indian military used to perceive gaps in the Pakistani side and was obsessed with finding space for limited war under the nuclear umbrella. Thus, it was amassing conventional weapons and had developed its Cold Start doctrine to be able to deal Pakistan a telling blow before it could retaliate with its nuclear weapons. India has been testing its Cold Start doctrine in various war games and military exercises, including the current corps level exercise “Vijayi Bhav”, in the Rajasthan desert and, at the same time, has been browbeating Pakistan. However, Nasr or “help”, which is also the title of one of the Quranic verses, will ably plug that gap and ensure that India is deterred from any such adventurism. With the development of Nasr, Indian planners will now think twice before considering options of limited war. Often the Indians start beating their chests and crying hoarse with their battle cries prematurely. In May 1998 too after conducting nuclear tests at Pokhran, the Indian defence planners and politicians were so convinced that Pakistan did not have nuclear weapons capability that they became ballistic with their threats and jingoism, forcing Pakistan’s hand in crossing the nuclear threshold and coming out of the closet. Having learnt no lessons, ex-Army Chief General Deepak Kapoor had announced: “The time has come for teaching Pakistan a lesson.” The General had been blinded by the so-called success of the Indian war games testing Cold Start, and thus he had broken into rhetoric.A few details of Nasr, gleaned from overt sources; it is akin to a guided artillery shell in the form of surface-to-surface missile (SSM). The Soviets had developed and used various types of such missiles, as a propellant and heavily fortified fixed installation target clearance weapon system in the battlefield. Nasr, however, can successfully target armoured and mechanised columns on the move with nearly pinpoint accuracy. Judging from the test flight video released, Nasr appears to follow a depressed trajectory, rather than typical ballistic trajectory that makes a lethal combination, when married to high manoeuvrability, high speed and short range; which will cause nightmares and throw a challenge to any anti-ballistic missile system. Comparing Nasr to the earlier versions of Hatf 1B and Hatf 1A, Nasr appears to be more stabilised in its flight. The use of terminal guidance enables the Nasr to be projected, as a quick response precision guided ballistic missile with extremely low circular error of probability (CEP) to take the heavily defended targets in a 60km radius. Its quick reaction time, low CEP, terminal guidance and lethal warhead make it far superior to a simple, unguided, multi-barrel rocket launcher system. The test fire and diameter of the warhead suggest that Pakistan has achieved the capability of deploying sub-kiloton yield tactical nuclear warhead appropriate for a sub-kiloton nuclear detonation, which if boosted with four to five gms of tritium, could yield a 10 to 20 KT nuclear detonation. When produced in bulk, it will wreak havoc in any battlefield scenario, penetrating the fog of war and striking a telling blow upon any belligerent.

The writer is a political and defence analyst.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom