What's new

Has Pak. been sidelined by the Indo-Afgh. Strategic Agreement?

Who would they prefer?

Or is it who will be imposed on them? Someone you would prefer Afghans to endure but not Pakistanis? ;)

Do you seriously think a foreign spy agency can impose a puppet govt. in a land of 30 million or so ? And trust me they might hate us but they hate you and NATO more!

Most of the Afghanistan people don't like Pakistan irrespective of ethnic and region. I think this hatred started during late 90's. Pakistan never tried to ease it. Indeed, She kept supporting Taliban for control of Afghanistan and even they gave base to US to attack Taliban. Now, Both are unhappy. In addition, 75% Afghanistan population are angry since early 90's due to Pakistan supporting Taliban and destroying their country.

Afghanistan is improving her army. By 2015, There will be 3,00,000+ Army personnel. India is involved in training. Military equipment is not disclosed.

India-Afghanistan relation is very old (except Taliban regime) and we doing that only.

Actually there is a very subtle angle to this, if you chose to look at it. Journey from the time, where the powers in Afghanistan decided to not invite India to a conference on Afghanistan so as to pander to Pakistani sensitivities, to Afghanistan having unofficial engagements with Indian political and military agencies to finally officially declaring a strategic alignment, signifies a reducing stature of Pakistan for the NATO/US/Afghanistan establishment.. As they say in the subcontinent, even "aankh ki Sharam" is also no longer a factor ...
'Journey in time' and tell me what exactly, outside of rhetoric and meaningless conferences, the tangible differences are in Afghanistan's policies towards Pakistan and India, under Karzai, pre Rabbani assassination and post Rabbani assassination ...

Heck, even in terms of 'poisonous rhetoric towards Pakistan, when did Karzai/Afghanistan ever stop?

Do you seriously think a foreign spy agency can impose a puppet govt. in a land of 30 million or so ?

It can. Don't you think NA has been imposed on them by NATO/USA?

And trust me they might hate us but they hate you and NATO more!

I am not sure about them hating NATO.

About India (or me!), I don't think so. Every available info tells me otherwise.

There is no reason for them to hate us. We have not imposed the evil medieval Talibs on them.

---------- Post added at 05:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 PM ----------

Tell that to Pentagon, Vinod. :P

Not sure what you mean. Of course Pakistan has harbored the Taliban and can continue of make life hell for Afghans, if that is what you meant.

Given that Pakistan the one US ally that has worked and bled the most in this war, such a sidelining would speak volumes of the abject failure of its diplomacy. What should have been gained from all the sacrifices has been lost by the inept leadership who failed totally at reading the developments, and being reactive rather than proactive.
My point is that Afghanistan has not changed its policy towards Pakistan tangibly post Rabbani assassination, which is what your original post and thread title implied.

Actually India was being sidelined for the past decade on Pakistan's behest. However, the Haqqani backed assasination of Rabbani. What is new is India and Afghanistan engaging in training of ANSF. This was never done before.

On top of that, the economic development part is also interesting. Coupling this with Indo-Iranian talks speeding up recently, its setting up the stage to help Afghanistan to stand on its own feet economically. A strong stable Afghanistan that can defend itself from foreign interference is in the in the interest of India and the rest of the world and this time around it won't be a repeat of the 1990s.

Afghan officers have already been attending Indian military institutions for training ...

And India is also already investing in development schemes in Afghanistan as well as bidding for prospective mining projects - there is nothing to indicate that prior to this 'strategic agreement' India was being prevented by Afghanistan or the US from investing in development projects in Afghanistan.

My point is that Afghanistan has not changed its policy towards Pakistan tangibly post Rabbani assassination, which is what your original post and thread title implied.

My original post was nothing more that the The Pakistan Times story; I am fine with the title change after your edit.

My intent is to discuss what can be done to avoid Pakistan being sidelined, since it is the one party with the most of just about everything vested: blood, sweat, tears, money, most to lose and most to gain too.

I dont kno what Pakistan is hoping for in Afghanistan ..but this just came in...
And with India taking a training role for Afghan force .... hmmm this just got Interesting.
45.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to agree.. The agreement is with the Mayor of kabul..
and those that will be trained will be the Ethnic tajiks and uzbeks.. NA people.
A new civil war on the horizon in Afghanistan.. and the return of the Taliban.
History, as usual.. repeats itself in Afghanistan.

Does this mean all Pushtuns support Taliban and will united against others?

I do not think so, they ruled with their gun's help last time.

It is in everybody's interest to have a healthy peaceful Afghanistan. If India genuinely believe they can assist in this being accomplished then that's great.
I don't want to harp on about it but Pakistan have a large border with this nation.
Pakistan have close to 3 million Afghan's in their land. They constantly are being accused of atrocities and harboring terrorists and you know the rest. I think it is frustratingly rich for anyone to suggest Pakistan can be potentially sidelined. I'm sorry it cant and wont happen. It is in the best interests of all parties for Pakistan to be involved.

It is in everybody's interest to have a healthy peaceful Afghanistan. If India genuinely believe they can assist in this being accomplished then that's great.
I don't want to harp on about it but Pakistan have a large border with this nation.
Pakistan have close to 3 million Afghan's in their land. They constantly are being accused of atrocities and harboring terrorists and you know the rest. I think it is frustratingly rich for anyone to suggest Pakistan can be potentially sidelined. I'm sorry it cant and wont happen. It is in the best interests of all parties for Pakistan to be involved.

I agree with the importance of Pakistan's role; my fear is that the signals are not promising for a role commensurate with the importance due to a failure of leadership and foresight on the Pakistani side, to position themselves best at the negotiating table.

Afghan officers have already been attending Indian military institutions for training ...

And India is also already investing in development schemes in Afghanistan as well as bidding for prospective mining projects - there is nothing to indicate that prior to this 'strategic agreement' India was being prevented by Afghanistan or the US from investing in development projects in Afghanistan.

It may mean, and its a conjecture, that the training can now take place in Afghanistan and consequently will be of broader scope. Afterall there were calls by Kabul on India to take that role as late as June 2011, even when a few officers were already in Indian academies.

Actually Pakistan is hoping the 1988-89 situation. When the Russians left the country, it went into civil war and Taliban won with the help of Pakistan.

They think the same will happen when the US leaves Afgan. But US will ensure that there will not be any attack on US interests from these region once they goes out. So very tricky situation and a stalemate.

US wont leave or will train other Afgans to hold in Afgan land and Taliban will keep fighting. On the same time US will put pressure on Pak to stop backing Taliban and pressure Talibs to join in the government.

Its a game of patience , all players are waiting, fighting, pressurizing, hoping for the best.

Actually Pakistan is hoping the 1988-89 situation. When the Russians left the country, it went into civil war and Taliban won with the help of Pakistan.

They think the same will happen when the US leaves Afgan. But US will ensure that there will not be any attack on US interests from these region once they goes out. So very tricky situation and a stalemate.

US wont leave or will train other Afgans to hold in Afgan and Taliban will keep fighting. One the same time US will put pressure on Pak to stop backing Taliban and pressure them to join in the government.

Its a game of patience , all players are waiting, fighting, pressurizing, hoping for the best.

i agree with you

If you Pakistani's culd ony see the light. All of SOuth Asia combined would be a force to reckon with but sadly you guys are too narrow minded. I am sure india may have made mistakes but you guys are not willing to move forward. Truly sad....I am sure somewhere in that treaty they probably have a clause to set up a base in the future

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom