What's new

Hangor Class Submarine Project | Updates & Discussions

No update from PN about subs?
I guess we might have settled for chinese engines by now.

2023 may see 2 Type 54As, 1 or 2 Baburs and first Hangoor, if all is going according to schedule.

No update from PN about subs?
I guess we might have settled for chinese engines by now.

2023 may see 2 Type 54As, 1 or 2 Baburs and first Hangoor, if all is going according to schedule.
All said, going all Chinese on these subs was the most optimal and cost effective route. It wasn't realistic to expect the West to help out with a Chinese platform.

OTOH, the PN will pursue an original AIP submarine program in a few years. This will be custom designed and potentially leverage Western engines and possibly even AIP.

Interestingly, the PN's main requirements for the SWATS could cover a lot of the key questions regarding inputs. It too will be an original design (likely in collaboration with Turkey) and will probably use Western engines and AIP. Once they get the approvals for that subsystems stack and build domestic capacity to integrate and test it, they'll proceed with a full sized sub project.

All said, going all Chinese on these subs was the most optimal and cost effective route. It wasn't realistic to expect the West to help out with a Chinese platform.

OTOH, the PN will pursue an original AIP submarine program in a few years. This will be custom designed and potentially leverage Western engines and possibly even AIP.

Interestingly, the PN's main requirements for the SWATS could cover a lot of the key questions regarding inputs. It too will be an original design (likely in collaboration with Turkey) and will probably use Western engines and AIP. Once they get the approvals for that subsystems stack and build domestic capacity to integrate and test it, they'll proceed with a full sized sub project.
What do you mean by original design

Right, I think we may see SWATS into reality soon but original sub program looks to be destined for future like in 2040s. Because with 11 AIP enabled subs PN may feel settled down for next 1-2 decades.
Anyway, in idea on PN future SWATS specs? Could it be from Turkish STM? OR Is it the same as was mentioned in MoDP 2015–2016 for one midget submarine. I find no actual details / images of the one which's funds might have secured back in 2015/16 or perhaps this one is already constructed ? PN's website has 12 years old information and even some wrong images. Your website is one good source for information. Keep up! :)

Right, I think we may see SWATS into reality soon but original sub program looks to be destined for future like in 2040s. Because with 11 AIP enabled subs PN may feel settled down for next 1-2 decades.
Anyway, in idea on PN future SWATS specs? Could it be from Turkish STM? OR Is it the same as was mentioned in MoDP 2015–2016 for one midget submarine. I find no actual details / images of the one which's funds might have secured back in 2015/16 or perhaps this one is already constructed ? PN's website has 12 years old information and even some wrong images. Your website is one good source for information. Keep up! :)
The requirements were:
  • ~700 tons displacement
  • AIP
  • ASW
  • SDV-capability
  • ESM w/ELINT + SIGINT
  • CMS, Optronics, etc.
Yes, the original submarine probably wouldn't materialize until around the 2040s (to replace the Agosta 90Bs). However, the PN would probably start working on it around the mid-2020s. I'm expecting a program similar to the Jinnah-class frigate where the PN would work with a partner (potentially the Turks) on the design phase, but rely on COTS for all of the major inputs, like electronics, engine, AIP, etc.

1670546148155.png

The Steel Cutting Ceremony of the 5th Submarine, PNS/M TASNIM, will be held in Dec, 21 at KS&EW. The submarine is named after Vice Admiral (R) Ahmad Tasnim, the daring Commanding Officer of submarine PNS HANGOR (S-131) that sank one Indian warship and crippled another in 1971.

1670546336711.png

Last edited:
I think, It supposed to say "Ceremony will held on 21 Dec 2022."

When will four subs will be inducted as we haven't seen launching of first Sub yet.

View attachment 904270

The Steel Cutting Ceremony of the 5th Submarine, PNS/M TASNIM, was held in Dec, 21 at KS&EW. The submarine is named after Vice Admiral (R) Ahmad Tasnim, the daring Commanding Officer of submarine PNS HANGOR (S-131) that sank one Indian warship and crippled another in 1971.

View attachment 904272
Sir what about the engines,chinese or german?

All Chinese.
Sir would they perform like german engines, which were the part of the deal earlier, would chinese decrease the price? because original price tag was high just because of German MTU engines. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom