What's new

Hair Health - nutrition, anti-aging, grey hair reversal, growth etc

Manticore

RETIRED MOD
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

This thread is on hair

I will touch on the nutrition aspect aswell as the basic medications -- however dont know much about herbs and hair products

Last edited by a moderator:
Nutrients

sulpher
zinc [men]
selenium/copper/vit c
essential fatty acids [fish oil]
vit a/d/e/k tablets and/or cod liver oil
biotin
iron

Ho shou Wu herb
saw palmetto ??
----------------

Drugs

Minoxidel 2% or 5% spray twice /day for both men/women without any side effects other than itching

finisteride --for men -- however it does cause impotent/sexual problems in some

corticosteroids

azelaic acid, which inhibits 5-alpha reductase, the enzyme that combines with testosterone to form DHT --???
-----

Shampoos

If hair loss is due to scalp problem then a shampoo with coal tar [poly tar] or ketoconazole might solve the underlying problem however, see a doc first

Dandruff shampoos containing zinc have been shown to promote modest hair growth.[Photonic max shampoo/ head and shoulders]

selenium sulphide [selsun blue]

Hair volumizing shampoos and sprays are in the market

ketoconazole has anti-androgenic effects so its shampoo may help
---
Desi remedies

iron nail/amla etc -- dont know much

Please post your input also your knowledge regarding hair products

tagged under - healthy life style

------

Avoid extreme dieting or eating raw eggs

???=not clinically proven

@Manticore - Did I just read that correct - Minoxidil causes Impotence in some ! :blink:

I'm happy following in the foot steps of almost every man in my family - Shinny Tind ! :D

But not impotence....sawaaal hi nahin paidaa hotaaa....izzat ka sawaal haiii ! :fie:

@Manticore - Did I just read that correct - Minoxidil causes Impotence in some ! :blink:

I'm happy following in the foot steps of almost every man in my family - Shinny Tind ! :D

But not impotence....sawaaal hi nahin paidaa hotaaa....izzat ka sawaal haiii ! :fie:
minoxidil tablet was actually for blood pressure -- as an advers effect it caused hair over all the body --- its topical spray/lotion is applied on only scalp so systemic absorbtion/effects are low

you are confusing minoxidil with finisteride - which does even have irreversible sexual problems in some males -- the topical dht receptor antag dont have much clinical backing atm.. as well as topical spironolactone etc

john trovolta wears a wig :partay:

minoxidil tablet was actually for blood pressure -- as an advers effect it caused hair over all the body --- its topical spray/lotion is applied on only scalp so systemic absorbtion/effects are low

you are confusing minoxidil with finisteride - which does even have irreversible sexual problems in some males -- the topical dht receptor antag dont have much clinical backing.. as well as topical spironolactone etc

Janaaab aaap ki apni post (#2) mein Minoxidil ka mention haiii in relation to it causing impotence in some men ! :undecided:

where ...? ive mentioned the 2 drugs separately

Ohhhh...sorry I read that as one paragraph ! :oops:

Gustakhi Maaf Huzooor ! :ashamed:

Waisee I never wanted to try Finistride after that & I've heard that Minoxidil doesn't work either so I sort of gave up - Koi baaat nahin when in a few years time the shiny bald spot starts showing then Jason Statham style ! :smokin:

once you start minoxidil -- you cant stop -- you will lose all the hair you have retained aswell as the ones you have regrown

once you start minoxidil -- you cant stop -- you will lose all the hair you have retained aswell as the ones you have regrown

So which one do you use ? :what:

What about that Copper Peptide thing ? :unsure:

So which one do you use ? :what:

What about that Copper Peptide thing ? :unsure:

I didnt know of the studies on biotin -- easily produced gut bacteria -- available in peanuts I think -- but people are crazy about it

I have not used any medication till now -- but am considering minoxidil -- as the best time to start using it when you have not gone bald -- some classfellows when see me after 5 years might say my hair have thinned a bit.. thats about it

people tend to shed some hair in the first 2 months of minoxidil treatment but regain them afterwards-- so ive read

I tried Minoxidil 5%. You see results in a month. However its extremely inconvenient.

You need to put it on twice a day, you'd think, no problem, once in the morning and once at night.

It doesn't work like that. You need to wash your hair between uses since the solvent it is mixed it, solidifies once it is dry.

To complicate matters you can't put it on just after washing your hair either since shampooing leaves thin layers of chemicals which will block off the absorption of minoxidil.

So you take a shower, wait one hour, and then apply it. Practically speaking people don't have that kind of time in the mornings.

Then there is of course the matter of itching. The solvent really makes you itch, once you scratch you head, that's it, you'll end up scratching it a whole bunch till you will have to discontinue its use for a week to help your scalp calm down. Your scalp will always cake like you have a lot of dandruff but it is actually the dried solvent. You can't wash your hair soon as for optimal performance you need to allow minoxidil 12 hours to be absorbed.

I had headaches too, I don't know if they were symptoms or just the power of suggestion, as somebody else told me you get headaches by using it.

But it does mostly give results if you have only hair thinning and not a bald head.

Its simpler to make money and go have some hair/follicle transplant surgery. But that also requires you to have enough hair left on your head.

I started and stopped twice. You just lose the ones you had grown.

I tried Minoxidil 5%. You see results in a month. However its extremely inconvenient.

You need to put it on twice a day, you'd think, no problem, once in the morning and once at night.

It doesn't work like that. You need to wash your hair between uses since the solvent it is mixed it, solidifies once it is dry.

To complicate matters you can't put it on just after washing your hair either since shampooing leaves thin layers of chemicals which will block off the absorption of minoxidil.

So you take a shower, wait one hour, and then apply it. Practically speaking people don't have that kind of time in the mornings.

Then there is of course the matter of itching. The solvent really makes you itch, once you scratch you head, that's it, you'll end up scratching it a whole bunch till you will have to discontinue its use for a week to help your scalp calm down. Your scalp will always cake like you have a lot of dandruff but it is actually the dried solvent. You can't wash your hair soon as for optimal performance you need to allow minoxidil 12 hours to be absorbed.

I had headaches too, I don't know if they were symptoms or just the power of suggestion, as somebody else told me you get headaches by using it.

But it does mostly give results if you have only hair thinning and not a bald head.

Its simpler to make money and go have some hair/follicle transplant surgery. But that also requires you to have enough hair left on your head.

I started and stopped twice. You just lose the ones you had grown.

minoxidil has to be used along with the hair transplant procedure

nizoral shampoo - ketoconazole is used for scalp in conjunction to minoxidil -- this might decrease irritation

some doctors recommend shampoos with zinc in it like Photonic max shampoo

I think alcohol based spray would be better than cream for keeping pores open

---

any insight in the anti irritation shampoo would be great -- i know of the 2 shampoos mentioned above and poly tar

I didnt know of the studies on biotin -- easily produced gut bacteria -- available in peanuts I think -- but people are crazy about it

I have not used any medication till now -- but am considering minoxidil -- as the best time to start using it when you have not gone bald -- some classfellows when see me after 5 years might say my hair have thinned a bit.. thats about it

people tend to shed some hair in the first 2 months of minoxidil treatment but regain them afterwards-- so ive read

If you do try, try out Rogaine Foam.

It uses a different solvent so perhaps there would be less itching... and I've heard people say they got slightly better results from it - I never tried that since it was not available in Dubai

Try it out, everyone's scalp is different, everyone's tolerance level for these side effects is different. It shouldn't do you any more harm than the side effects, but read the labels on it, in some cases it says really bad stuff may happen too. If problems become unbearable, discontinue use.

Back
Top Bottom