Solomon2

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
United States
Grieving Abdus Salam and the Muslim age of darkness
By Nayyar Afaq Published: January 29, 2017
45199-abdus-1485428288-887-640x480.jpg

We failed him, and proved how truly unworthy were we of him. PHOTO: TWITTER.

“There is no question, but today, of all civilisations on this planet, science is the weakest in the lands of Islam. The dangers of this weakness cannot be over-emphasised since honourable survival of a society depends directly on strength in science and technology in the conditions of the present age.” – Abdus Salam

It was last year, on December 5, when I woke up to the news that Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, had approved the proposal to rename the National Centre for Physics (NCP) as the Abdus Salam Centre for Physics (ASCP), along with five PhD fellowships annually in Abdus Salam’s name. This was a pleasant surprise, as this step was taken by the same state that had earlier failed to honour the first Nobel Laureate of Pakistan himself. After this momentary delight, I wondered if ASCP would emerge as Pakistan’s equivalent to The Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP), in Trieste, Italy.

Abdus Salam was born in 1926 – he was a poor boy from Jhang, who had not seen electricity until his teen years. He scored record-breaking marks in his matriculation examination in all of Punjab, at the young age of 14. He never looked back, and finally emerged as one of the greatest theoretical physicists of the 20th century. Together with Sheldon Glashow and Steven Weinberg, Abdus Salam received the Nobel Prize for his contribution to the theory of the unified weak and electromagnetic interaction between elementary particles, in 1979.

Furthermore, he paved the way towards the discovery of the Higgs boson, also known as the “God particle,” which is considered the biggest scientific breakthrough in decades. Despite being excommunicated by his own nation over state discrimination and an inflexible social attitude, he remained loyal towards Pakistan. He even wore Pakistan’s national dress – the shalwar kameez – whilst accepting his Nobel Laureate. He didn’t accept citizenship from any other country, and kept his Pakistani nationality till his last breath – he was a true patriot.

He worked as the science advisor for President Ayub; served as the founding director of the Pakistan Space and Upper Atmosphere Research Commission (SUPARCO); helped in establishing the Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission (PAEC), as well as contributed towards the Pakistan Institute of Nuclear Science and Technology (PINSTECH). Furthermore, he mentored Professor Riazuddin, the man who designed Pakistan’s atomic bomb.

These are just a few of his long list of contributions for Pakistan. The irony is that none of them, including the prestigious Nobel Prize, stopped his countrymen from rejecting him or from calling him a traitor. This was not only a personal loss for Salam, but a national tragedy as well. He dreamt of establishing an international research centre in Pakistan to awaken third world and developing countries, but it was made impossible for him, thus, he ended up inaugurating the institute in Italy. He also established the Third World Academy of Sciences (TWAS) there (later renamed The World Academy of Sciences). Today, thousands come to ICTP and TWAS each year to be inspired by his vision.

Abdus Salam, in one of his essays, recalls a Nobel Prize Winner from a European country speaking to him:

“Salam, do you really think we have an obligation to succour, aid, feed and keep alive those nations who have never created or added an iota to man’s stock of knowledge?”

And this is a reality check. Our share in the modern world is too difficult to trace.

Take a look at the current indices of the Muslim world, say in education, health, economy, science and technology – it’s evident that we have fallen to an all-time low. A little introspection reveals that Pakistan has the world’s weakest higher education system, ranks third on the list of countries with the worst reputation, 149th in UN health goals among 188 countries, 147th in the Human Development Index, 119th on the Global Innovation Index out of 128 countries, 108th on the Global Hunger Index among 118 countries, stands among the 10 worst countries for internet freedom, ranks third in human slavery out of 167 countries, ranks second worst for travel freedom, stands in the bottom 10 countries for freedom of speech, tops the list for the worst countries for religious freedom, and so on.

The intellectual stagnation of the Muslim world in general and Pakistan in particular, is not accidental; it is due to a series of correlated miseries that we allowed to befall us. For instance, we didn’t allow the culture of rationality and free thought, and hence, scientific reasoning never flourished here. We considered science an antithesis of faith, and those academics who tried to show the world that both of them are compatible were shunned. In addition, aesthetics, art, and culture were also side-lined, and the state policies along with theological legislations pushed us to the wall even more. As a result, the space for progressive and intellectual discourse kept shrinking that ultimately led to this painful mess we are in today.

The Muslim Ummah constitutes one fifth of mankind. We had a proud past, from the eighth to the 13th century – the period referred to as the Golden Age of Islam – when Muslims were the torchbearers of knowledge and intellect. Unfortunately, our contribution to science and technology is currently non-existent. The Mongols invaded Baghdad, and destroyed the Bait-ul-Hikmah (House of Wisdom), a centre of excellence, but it cannot be considered the reason for our fall.

It was the home-grown religious orthodoxy that existed much before it, something that was responsible for naming the intellectual giants of Muslim civilisation heretics and for their persecution. Take these examples: Al-Kindi (801-873) was publicly flogged before a large crowd, and his library was confiscated. Al-Razi (854-925) was hit on the head with his own book till he lost his eyesight. Ibn Sina (980-1037), a Hafiz-e-Qur’an himself, was declared an unbeliever by Imam Al-Ghazzali; his books were banned and he had to flee to save his life. Similarly, books of Ibn Rushd (1126-1198) were ordered to be burnt. Fast forward to recent history we have another intellectual, Abdus Salam, who was also an outcast because of the same mind-set which rejects reasoning and considers rationality a threat.

The enterprise of science has uniform principles across the globe; there is a well-defined scientific methodology that is the same for all students of science regardless of their geography and ideology. Hence, scientific knowledge has emerged over history and Muslim countries need to realise that they are dependent on science for their survival and progress. Otherwise, science doesn’t depend on them.

Abdus Salam wished to build an enterprise of science in Pakistan – a research centre that could act as a precursor for the revival of knowledge – not only for Pakistan, but for third world and developing countries as well. He passionately advocated the importance of science for preferment of Muslim countries. We failed him, and proved how truly unworthy we were of him.

Will Pakistan be able to produce another Abdus Salam? The answer, in the present and in the near future, is a big no. The state of science in Pakistan is dismal, school curriculums fail to inspire any interest in this beautiful subject, orthodoxy is dominating society, and space for free thinking and rational enquiry doesn’t exist. The Muslim world, by and large, has the same scenario, and one can rightly refer to our present as the dark ages for Muslims.

Amidst these discouraging signs, here’s a welcoming step from the government that infuses hope. The prime minister has recently honoured the oft-overlooked Pakistani hero by renaming NCP as ASCP. Pakistan has made a number of wrong choices, but it’s time to correct them. Let’s celebrate the 91st birthday of Dr Abdus Salam today by resolving to carry the torch of Salam’s vision and shining the light on intellectual freedom, reasoning, and scientific knowledge in the country.

1757.jpg

Nayyar Afaq
He is pursuing a doctorate in Physics from Quaid-i-Azam University, Islamabad and his objective in life is to become a better human being. Nayyar tweets @Nay_Af (twitter.com/Nay_Af)

I will say this @Solomon2 the Jewish people have made a phenomenal contribution to the field of Physics, their intellect has to be truly respected.Kudos
Have you read many of Abdus Salam's essays? Here's another excerpt from the source linked in the article,where he quotes Francis Guiles' 1983 essay "What is wrong with Muslim Science":

...At its peak about thousand years ago, the Muslim world made a remarkable contribution to science, notably mathematics and medicine. Baghdad in its heyday and southern Spain built universities to which thousands flocked. Rulers surrounded themselves with scientists and artists. A spirit of freedom allowed Jews, Christians, and Muslims to work side by side. Today all this is but a memory -

Have you read many of Abdus Salam's essays? Here's another excerpt from the source linked in the article,where he quotes Francis Guiles' 1983 essay "What is wrong with Muslim Science":

...At its peak about thousand years ago, the Muslim world made a remarkable contribution to science, notably mathematics and medicine. Baghdad in its heyday and southern Spain built universities to which thousands flocked. Rulers surrounded themselves with scientists and artists. A spirit of freedom allowed Jews, Christians, and Muslims to work side by side. Today all this is but a memory -
I have come across his scientific work, yet I am not ashamed to admit I never really mastered it and I do hope that scientists of all faiths can work together for the betterment of mankind.Kudos

Last edited:
scientists of all faiths can work together for the betterment of mankind.Kudos
the most popular faith for scientists of any repute these days (as in the past few centuries) is that of no faith. only followers of islam can be found clinging to their dogmatic beliefs in this day and age. in such a scenario where critical thinking and inquisitive nature are inhibited early on in life with muslim children, it is hard for them to produce any scientists of great calibre. Pakistan's heyday in scientific development was when it was largely secular and distant from religion, i.e, in the 1960s and 70s, when it was the leader in R&D among muslim countries.
the future, as it is now, seems very, very bleak.

In current world scenario this seems impossible.
It happens in Israel. It happens in the U.S. Pretty sure Muslims, Christians, and Jews work side by side in many parts of U.K. too (though I'm not so sure about scientific research there.)

the most popular faith for scientists of any repute these days (as in the past few centuries) is that of no faith. only followers of islam can be found clinging to their dogmatic beliefs in this day and age. in such a scenario where critical thinking and inquisitive nature are inhibited early on in life with muslim children, it is hard for them to produce any scientists of great calibre. Pakistan's heyday in scientific development was when it was largely secular and distant from religion, i.e, in the 1960s and 70s, when it was the leader in R&D among muslim countries.
the future, as it is now, seems very, very bleak.
My dear chap I beg to differ, the good book teaches us to pursue knowledge, you are erroneously judging Islam by some of it's followers, I suggest you judge Islam by the Koran shareef and the sayings of the Prophet of Islam (PBUH).

“Whoever follows a path in the pursuit of knowledge, Allah will make a path to Paradise easy for him.” (Bukhari).

We should honour his memory by increasing funding for SUPARCO, and establishing modern education facilities, particularly in the Jhang area.

we are a nation of 200m. Abdus Salam is not a one-off for Pakistan, and its likely there are hundreds of thousands of gifted children, that end up unable/unmotivated in pursuing a career in research.

The government needs to focus on expanding and updating the curriculum across the country, and ensuring that every child is in school rather than working in the fields or begging on the streets. Madrassah system needs to be also reformed so that children are also properly educated in science and mathematics, with Quran being rigorously taught once they are old enough to interpret and understand its content.

We should honour his memory by increasing funding for SUPARCO, and establishing modern education facilities, particularly in the Jhang area.

we are a nation of 200m. Abdus Salam is not a one-off for Pakistan, and its likely there are hundreds of thousands of gifted children, that end up unable/unmotivated in pursuing a career in research.

The government needs to focus on expanding and updating the curriculum across the country, and ensuring that every child is in school rather than working in the fields or begging on the streets. Madrassah system needs to be also reformed so that children are also properly educated in science and mathematics, with Quran being rigorously taught once they are old enough to interpret and understand its content.
Wouldn't Prof. Salam consider your recommendations gross distortions of his vision for education in Pakistan, rather than honoring his memory?

My dear chap I beg to differ, the good book teaches us to pursue knowledge, you are erroneously judging Islam by some of it's followers, I suggest you judge Islam by the Koran shareef and the sayings of the Prophet of Islam (PBUH).

“Whoever follows a path in the pursuit of knowledge, Allah will make a path to Paradise easy for him.” (Bukhari).
Some 'modern' Pakistanis suffer from 'parhai syndrome' i.e whenever an unwilling child is asked to study he gathers pencil, rubber, notebook then sharpens pencil, till it is perfect now notebooks needs to be covered, after all prep is done he looks here and there and then goes to sleep.
Some 'modern' Pakistanis have this habit. When there is debate about progress of Pakistan first they berate Army, find fault and then bash the culture and society further down they bash Islam and how regressive it is. After they are done with it and asked 'well you are not part of anything like that what have you achieved instead of smoking weed ?' The deathly silence follows.

My dear chap I beg to differ, the good book teaches us to pursue knowledge, you are erroneously judging Islam by some of it's followers,
is that not right? well my bad then i suppose we should judge communism by what the manifesto says as well and completely ignore the mass genocide and atrocities the followers of it committed since it would be very erroneous to do so.
the fact of the matter is, no matter what the good book says, the people of the good book are not what it says they should be, yet they maintain their moral superiority over non religious people.
if scriptures alone were to form the basis of judgement of a people, then every nation with a basic democratic constitution in this world is a great nation.
what a fallacy, im fed up of hearing this regurgitated garbage.

Some 'modern' Pakistanis suffer from 'parhai syndrome' i.e whenever an unwilling child is asked to study he gathers pencil, rubber, notebook then sharpens pencil, till it is perfect now notebooks needs to be covered, after all prep is done he looks here and there and then goes to sleep.
Some 'modern' Pakistanis have this habit. When there is debate about progress of Pakistan first they berate Army, find fault and then bash the culture and society further down they bash Islam and how regressive it is. After they are done with it and asked 'well you are not part of anything like that what have you achieved instead of smoking weed ?' The deathly silence follows.
ad hominem. the only defense of mullahs and conservatives in any argument.

Wouldn't Prof. Salam consider your recommendations gross distortions of his vision for education in Pakistan, rather than honoring his memory?

First part is honouring his memory. He did a lot of good work for SUPARCO, and Jhang (the area he hails from) is very impoverished; I don't believe there is any higher education presence in the whole city.

This is just my opinion on how the system should be reformed to provide us with more 'Abdus Salams'

is that not right? well my bad then i suppose we should judge communism by what the manifesto says as well and completely ignore the mass genocide and atrocities the followers of it committed since it would be very erroneous to do so.
the fact of the matter is, no matter what the good book says, the people of the good book are not what it says they should be, yet they maintain their moral superiority over non religious people.
if scriptures alone were to form the basis of judgement of a people, then every nation with a basic democratic constitution in this world is a great nation.
what a fallacy, im fed up of hearing this regurgitated garbage.

ad hominem. the only defense of mullahs and conservatives in any argument.
Sometimes who is saying is important than what is being said. Patterns matter.

Sometimes who is saying is important than what is being said. Patterns matter.
this reasoning is precisely why societies do not advance. if the westerners chose to not learn from arab scholars simply because they were infidels, they would not have achieved the scientific progress that they have today.
who is saying may or may not define that person, but what is being said is always of utmost importance. sometimes you can learn good lessons even from the words of your worst enemy, as long as you are willing to listen, that is.

Back
Top Bottom