What's new

Greater China Education, School & University: News & Discussions

我想,你一定是一个富有的博士...I guess, you must be a rich PhD student in great China...哈哈哈哈,from your boss, en ...a good professor
No, I think I was underpaid.....
I hate him a little.
But I did save a lot at that time, only spent 20%.

China vow to establish 16 world-class universities by 2030
(People's Daily Online) 14:58, January 17, 2017

B1WYEtE.png

In an ambitious blueprint, Chinese officials have announced intentions to set up 16 top universities by 2030, spreading across several provincial regions outside Beijing and Shanghai, where a number of famous universities are already situated.

According to data collected by researcher Yu Lujiang from Tongji University, some 21 provincial regions have published five- to ten-year blueprints on higher education. Ten universities will be rated "world-class" by 2020, and the figure will rise to 16 by 2030, Caixin reported.

More than 110 "high-level" universities will be established in those regions, according to the blueprints. Some 11 provincial regions have also come up with financial support measures, with the total amount raised close to 40 billion RMB, according to Yu. Shandong province said it would raise up to 5 billion RMB, while Hubei province pledged an annual investment of 1 to 2 billion RMB.

“Heavy investment can help to attract talent and purchase cutting-edge equipment to improve the educational environment,” Lu told Caixin. “But it requires far more than money to become a top university.”

A guideline issued by the State Council in 2015 said “a certain number” of universities and majors should be rated as "world-class" by 2020, and China would “basically become” a nation with strong higher education by 2050, the Caixin report explained.

The guideline did not specify an exact number. There is also no agreed-upon standard for what constitutes a “world-class” university.
http://en.people.cn/n3/2017/0117/c90000-9168026.html

Chinese students recount their exchange experiences in North Korean universities

(Global Times) 08:50, January 20, 2017

○ Every year, many Chinese students go on exchange study trips to North Korean universities, either paid for by the State or privately

○ The phenomenon shows Chinese curiosity about the neighboring country

○ These students experience more than tourists let in the country

1404025189487344218.jpg

Students participate in a celebration in Pyongyang Square. Photo: Courtesy of Sarah

8186322593743506510.jpg

Students play on a beach on their day off. Photo: Courtesy of Sarah

For Chinese people who zealously pursue a degree from overseas, North Korea is not exactly the most popular choice.

But some curious students have crossed the border to experience North Korean education.

Sarah (pseudonym), 22, is one such student that the Global Times contacted. A student at the Guangdong University of Foreign Studies, Sarah secured an opportunity to spend two semesters in Kim II-sung University in 2015 by joining a Chinese government-backed exchange program.

"I've imagined so much about North Korea and have heard so many rumors about it. So I decided to take a look for myself. After spending time there, I have to say my experience of the country is much better than what I expected," she told the Global Times. "But the curriculum and textbooks weren't very useful."

According to a report on chinanews.com, every year the Chinese government offers 60 students full scholarships to North Korean universities. Around 70 students a year also pay for their own tuition.

No Internet? Go play sports

According to the website of the Chinese embassy in North Korea, the 60 students they sent to North Korea in 2014 came from nine universities, most of which were schools focusing on foreign languages.

Sarah said her school has several spots on the program every year for students majoring in Korean. As she had a good academic record, she was offered a place in 2015 without putting in much effort.

She revealed that in 2013, the students at her school who were offered places didn't end up going to North Korea.

"Maybe it's because of political tensions at that time. But I am not sure whether or not it was only my school that got suspended," she said. In February 2013, North Korea launched its third underground nuclear test, arousing tensions in the Korean Peninsula and surrounding nations.

When Sarah first arrived in North Korea, she lived with a local woman. The two shared one room.

"At first I was a bit nervous, worrying that she was monitoring me. But later I found out that she was nice and treated me well. She often shared her snacks with me," she recalled.

But the conversations between them were quite limited. They didn't talk about politics and most of the time, the North Korean woman liked to ask Sarah about her "family issues."

"She raised more questions than I did. When I asked her about her family like her father's job, I got different answers every time. Eventually, I got fed up and stopped asking her those questions," she said.

However, she said that overall she was "quite satisfied" with the experience and the natural environment there was quite pleasant.

"The people there seemed happy. And their lifestyle seemed healthier than Chinese people's. Without the Internet, they like go outdoors and play sports," said Sarah.

When textbooks meet Juche

Meng Fei, 25, who studied in North Korea in 2015, told the Global Times that Chinese students are sent either to Kim II-sung University or to the Kim Hyung-jik University of Education, which are both in the capital Pyongyang.

Kim II-sung University was founded in 1946 and is the best university in the country. Zhang Dejiang, chairman of the Standing Committee of the National People's Congress, graduated from this university in 1980. Kim Hyung-jik University of Education is the country's best teaching university.

"I wanted to experience a totally different environment. You can study in other countries if you have money. But the chance to study in North Korea is very rare," said Meng, who just graduated from Beijing International Studies University majored in Korean.

Besides the free education, State-funded students like Sarah and Meng are given $250 every month and North Korea gives them $40 per month as a cost of living subsidy. Room and board are free.

The students only need to attend classes in the morning. In the afternoons, Sarah said students in their program often arranged free tours to museums, monuments or mountains.

At the beginning, they were required to write "review articles" about each tourist attraction they went to, but after complaining they were allowed to enjoy sightseeing without extra work.

According to Sarah, they didn't need to learn about Juche, the official North Korean ideology. They studied Korean reading, translation, conversation and so on.

"The name of their leaders were in bold in the textbooks and most of the content of their textbooks are related to the leaders, praising their greatness," she said. She added that if they ever wrote the leaders' names incorrectly, they had to either erase it with correction fluid or fully obliterate the word with their pen, rather than just crossing it out.

While in class, some teachers asked them about the outside world. In 2015, when it was reported that South Korea had fired artillery shells at North Korea, her teachers asked them in class "how is the situation being reported in the Chinese media?" But after class, the teachers and students had no contact.

Personally, Sarah believes that if she wrote or said positive things about the Korean leaders it would bring good academic scores. She recalled that in a speech contest for Chinese students, a student who said nice things about the Kim family won the top prize. "But we're free to talk and write in the way we like," she added.

14424125030322120288.jpg

A taste of North Korea

Geng Yu (pseudonym) went to North Korea for his undergraduate studies in 2014. He was a self-funded student, and the tuition fees for one term were about $7,000.

"My family does some business with North Korea. Also, I'm an ethnic Korean but I can't speak Korean. So my parents sent me there," he said.

According to Geng, most self-funded students end up there because their families have business connections in North Korea.

Geng spent his first year in the Kim Hyung-jik University of Education to study Korean and then was transferred to Kim II-sung University.

When the Global Times contacted several leading study abroad agencies about studying in Pyongyang, they all said they didn't provide such services.

Geng said all the self-funded students apply on their own.

In Geng's class, there were students from Laos and Vietnam. "These students study here because they have family members working in the embassies in North Korea," he said.

Besides the high tuition fees, Meng said getting Internet in the country is very costly. Getting 3G mobile Internet cost him more than $200 at first and over $100 a month thereafter.

As he was tasked with managing his fellow Chinese students, Meng had to work with the North Korean university officials.

"I avoided talking about sensitive political topics," he said. Most of the time, he only communicated with them about simple day-to-day problems.

When the Chinese students arrived for the start of the semester, their dormitories often suffered power cuts without advance notice. Sometimes, the electricity was out for only three minutes and sometimes for hours. In the dry autumn, it happened regularly.

After chatting with the other side, they got warning in advance, though the cuts continued.

Becoming one with N. Koreans

According to Sarah and Meng, as foreign students, they enjoyed more freedom to wander around the country than tourists.

They could travel from city to city without a tour guide and were also permitted to take the subway in Pyongyang, which is prohibited for others aside from a few fancy "show" stops.

But sometimes, when they were on the subway, they were asked to identify themselves by North Koreans.

"We had to tell them our names and the university where we study. Sometimes, my friend pulled out textbooks to prove our identity," said Sarah.

Experiencing so many novelties, Sarah said her seven-month stay in North Korea was one of the most carefree times in her life. "Without the Internet, people can get closer. We talked and played together, which is hard to expect in today's China when everyone is addicted to cell phones," she said.

Her memories also included one time when they visited a beach with North Korean students and they all danced together. "At that time, I felt I was finally becoming one with them without any barriers," she said.

Meng said Chinese students in North Korea are able to get unusual opportunities because there aren't that many of them in North Korea.

He managed to meet and take photos with Liu Yunshan, a senior Communist Party of China leader, when he visited North Korea and Sarah was even once invited to watch a military parade.

Meng's experiences there have brought him another opportunity. A Chinese company hired him to work in North Korea and he will soon step on its soil once again.

Half of China's 2,000 billionaires only attended 'university of life'
2017-02-17 08:49 | Global Times | Editor: Li Yan

Half of 2,000 Chinese billionaires have no further education degree, according to a new report published by the Hurun Research Institute.

The annual Hurun University of Life Rich List 2017, released on Tuesday, shows that half of 2,000 Chinese entrepreneurs with assets of at least 2 billion yuan ($300 million) have no degree.

Rupert Hoogewerf, chairman and chief researcher of the institute, said that "these people might not succeed in accordance with current social standards; however, they made it and created great enterprises, which taught me that a hero may rise from nowhere."

The report listed the top 100 heroes, with Zong Qinghou, chairman of Wahaha Group, one of China's biggest beverage producers, ranking first.

According to Hurun, Zong, 72, from East China's Jiangsu Province, ranked No.41 in the Hurun Global Rich List 2016 and No.5 in the China Rich List 2016 with his wealth of $19 billion. Zong ranked No.1 in the China Rich List in 2012 with wealth of $12.6 billion.

The report said that Zong started work after graduating from middle school and established Wahaha beverage factory in 1988. Over the past 20 years, he built up his drinks empire and is a deputy of the National People's Congress.

Also on the list are Chinese tech entrepreneur Jia Yueting, chairman of LeEco, who was born in 1973 in North China's Shanxi Province and became an Internet worker after graduating from a vocational school, and SOHO China Chairman Pan Shiyi, a property tycoon, who was born in 1963 and graduated from a vocational school.

Compared with those who obtained a degree, the average wealth of the top 100 entrepreneurs without a prominent education background is 24.9 billion yuan, 9.6 billion yuan less than those who went on to further education.

The report said that the average age of the latter is six years older than the former with eight entrepreneurs over 70. However, only one of the top 100 "well-educated" entrepreneurs is over 70. "The heroic entrepreneurs are older and deeply affected by the Cultural Revolution (1966-76)," Hoogewerf said.

Most of those who did not have further education are in the manufacturing sector, with few in the financial or IT industries. Specifically, 24 percent work in real estate and 19 percent in manufacturing, while 24 percent of the top 100 entrepreneurs with academic degrees are in finance and investment and 15 percent work in IT.

Hoogewerf said the first post-Cultural Revolution generation of billionaires value integrity, hard work and pragmatism, while the younger generations focus more on innovation and talent.

One needs lots of hard work and lots of luck to be a billionaire.
Need lucky breaks to make it.

Vocational school played a role for some of these billionaires.

China tops number of foreign students in Asia: 440 thousand
Editor: zhangrui 丨Xinhua

03-03-2017 06:48 BJT

China has accepted the largest number of foreign students in Asia, according to the country's Ministry of Education.

In 2016 the figure stood at 440 thousand, which is an increase of 35% on 2012.

South Korea, America and Thailand topped the list of countries sending students to China, followed by Pakistan, India, Russia, Indonesia, Kazakhstan, Japan and Vietnam. In all, 205 countries and regions had students accepted by China.

210 thousand foreign students came for bachelor degrees, taking up 47.7% of the whole. 64 thousand students came to China for Masters and Doctoral programs in 2016.

130 thousand foreign students studied at kindergartens, primary and middle schools.

The number of students from countries involved in the China inspired Belt and Road initiative, also known as The Silk Road Economic Belt and the 21st-century Maritime Silk Road, has significantly increased. In 2016, students from the 64 countries in the initiative saw 200 thousand students coming to China to study, representing an increase of 13.6% compared with one year before.

In a change from earlier years, the number of students studying Chinese language accounted for about 40% in 2016, a drop of about 15% compared with 2012.

The number of foreign students majoring in education, science, engineering and agriculture all doubled.

The top five majors were western medicine, engineering, economy, management and Chinese language, and saw more than double the percentage of students.

China has put more money in scholarships to attract foreign students, and students from over 183 countries were awarded in 2016, 70% higher than 2012.

Students from The Belt and Road countries took 61% of the scholarships in 2016, an increase of 8.4% compared with 2012.

http://english.cctv.com/2017/03/03/ARTId8ybdUj6qHecaL4hIiBi170303.shtml

China has put more money in scholarships to attract foreign students, and students from over 183 countries were awarded in 2016, 70% higher than 2012.

Nevertheless, when it comes to giving out scholarship, the benchmark should be gradually raised. It should not end up like in Taiwan CN, schools simply giving out scholarship to fill the ministry of education quota.

I would say, 70% of the scholarship is wasted.

Target quality, not quantity.

Nevertheless, when it comes to giving out scholarship, the benchmark should be gradually raised. It should not end up like in Taiwan CN, schools simply giving out scholarship to fill the ministry of education quota.

China's current scholarship policy to foreign students is perhaps on cultural exchange, diplomatic interaction and economic trade. To attract the top level of talented students, we don't have enough funds to compete with the places like Saudi Arabia, Hong Kong, Singapore and USA where a huge package of fellowship can be awarded to those deemed brilliant students.

One the other hand, we should increase the quota to those like-minded countries like Pakistan, Cambodia and etc.

Do you have the list for rest of the countries? I want too see the numbers for South Asian countries as well.

Do you have the list for rest of the countries? I want too see the numbers for South Asian countries as well.
Sorry, I don't have it now. But I will look it up and update as soon as I find it.

@liall
Ok, I found the stats in 2015.
Total international student enrollment: 397,635

Do these counts of international students reflect both public and private institutions? Yes

Rank Place of Origin Number of Students Percent of Total
1 South Korea 66,675 16.8%
2 United States 21,975 5.5%
3 Thailand 19,976 5.0%
4 India 16,694 4.2%
5 Russia 16,197 4.1%
6 Pakistan 15,654 3.9%
7 Japan 14,085 3.5%
8 Kazakhstan 13,198 3.3%
9 Indonesia 12,694 3.2%
10 France 10,436 2.6%
All Others 190,054 47.8%

Totally true.

Most of students in China are under scholarship.

AND the quality of masters and doctoral students is nowhere near US, UK, or other countries.

China's best and brightest still continue to go abroad for their masters.

China starts building huge cosmic-ray observatory to study the evolution of the universe

People's Daily Online
March 16, 2017

China has started the construction of one of the world's largest and most sensitive cosmic-ray facilities. Located about 4,410 meters above sea level in the mountainous areas in southwest China’s Sichuan Province, the 1.2 billion yuan ($180m) Large High Altitude Air Shower Observatory (LHAASO) will attempt to search for the origin of high energy cosmic rays, to study the evolution of the universe and high energy celestial bodies, as well as to push forward the frontier of new physics.

The project was approved by the National Development and Reform Commission, China's top economic planning body, on December 31, 2015. The construction of the LHAASO is set for completion in January 2021. The project will be a key frontier project for cosmic ray research internationally.

FOREIGN201703160223000054975763199.jpg

China's high altitude observatory will have four different arrays to detect γ- and cosmic rays. (IHEP)

Cosmic rays are particles that originate in outer space and are accelerated to energies higher than those that can be achieved in even the largest man-made particle accelerators. The origin of the cosmic rays, however, has remained a mystery since they were first spotted some 100 years ago. LHAASO will be mankind’s first attempt to hunt for the highest-energy Gamma ray, which is the bursts of radiation thought to be produced alongside cosmic rays in our Galaxy.

LHAASO is expected to offer a unique perspective on the origins of cosmic rays, high-energy particles that rain down on Earth. Scientist says that LHAASO could establish the maximum energies that cosmic events in the Milky Way can produce.

http://en.people.cn/n3/2017/0316/c90000-9190938.html

Peking University draws global attention with Oxford campus announcement
(People's Daily Online) 13:08, April 07, 2017

FOREIGN201704071308000108902412667.jpg

The first Chinese university to own an overseas branch school, Peking University will open its Oxford campus in 2018. The unprecedented expansion has drawn attention from foreign universities and media outlets, with many predicting that the move will promote Chinese academic influence around the world.

According to an official announcement released by Peking University in March, the university’s HSBC Business School has acquired a medieval campus in Oxford from the Open University in Britain. This purchase marks the first independent attempt by a Chinese university to build and manage an overseas branch school. Peking University Oxford Center and Shenzhen Oxford Innovation Center will also be built in the near future to serve as a combined platform for innovation and international cooperation on higher education.

The bold move comes as the Chinese government steps up its efforts to build globally-renowned universities that lead the world in teaching quality and research. According to a blueprint released by Chinese authorities in 2016, the country has promised to allocate 2.5 percent of the country’s gross domestic product for research and development by 2020, while several Chinese universities are expected to improve their global rankings to attract more talent.

Several foreign media outlets, including the BBC and The Guardian, have reported on the initiative. Some reports speculate that the bold step will improve Chinese universities’ international reputation, while others worry that the new Oxford branch may push Chinese ideology on Western students.

In response to doubts, Hai Wen, head of HSBC Business School, told Southcn.com that the fast development of China’s economy and scientific expertise means more and more Chinese universities will reach out to the world.

“Our overseas school will focus on China’s finance and enterprise management. Foreign students will have the chance to study Chinese culture, economics and history, as well as to visit various enterprises and financial institutions in China. Such opportunities cannot be found in any other foreign universities,” said Hai. Hai also noted that several foreign universities have shown great interest in the new Oxford campus, including Oxford University.

According to the official website of Peking University, the Oxford campus will start enrolling students in 2018, with a focus on recruiting students from the U.K. and other European countries.

Chinese universities are expanding overseas.
This is a good development.

Back
Top Bottom