What's new

Government to include Keti Bunder, FATA in CPEC: Senator Mushahid

Dawood Ibrahim

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
31 MINS AGO BY HAMID KHAN WAZIR
keti-bandar-300x200.jpg

Chairman Parliamentary Committee on China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) Senator Mushahid Hussain has said that the government has accepted his committee’s proposals for the inclusion of Keti Bunder and FATA in the CPEC.

Speaking at a day-long conference on CPEC, organised by Islamabad based think-tank Strategic Vision Institute (SVI) on Monday, he said that the committee had been advocating that lesser developed areas of the country should benefit more from this unprecedented development opportunity.

In this regard, he said the Parliamentary Committee on CPEC proposed the government to include the Keti Bunder and troubled-hit FATA in the game-changer project, which have been accepted by the government.

The parliamentary committee chief further said that FATA Reforms Committee had agreed to give FATA a role in CPEC.

The conference, which was attended by representatives of academia, think tanks, diplomatic corps and media, aimed at analysing the potential benefits of the mega infrastructure cum communications project for both Pakistan and China.

The participants of the seminar also looked into the regional and global implications of CPEC and the strategies for dealing with the challenges that have so far been confronted or are expected to come up in future.

The sixth meeting of Pak-China Joint Cooperation Committee (JCC), the principal decision making and implementation forum for CPEC, is scheduled to be held in China on December 28-29. The focus of the meeting would be on industrial investment cooperation and new transportation projects including Keti Bunder Port, Airport in Thar (Islamkot) and the next phase of Karakoram Highway.

Senator Mushahid said Chief Minister Sindh Murad Ali Shah would be attending the JCC meeting where he would plead for the new projects in his province, including a port in Keti Bunder and airport in Islamkot.

The JCC is represented on the Chinese side by China’s National Development and Reform Commission, while Planning and Development Division is the lead ministry for Pakistan. The last meeting of JCC was held in Karachi in November.

Chinese Charge d’Affaires Mr Zhao Lijian on the occasion expressed satisfaction at the pace of progress of CPEC projects. He said the upcoming JCC would focus on industrial investment cooperation under which an industrial zone would be established in every province.

He rejected the criticism about the coal projects being undertaken under CPEC and said international environmental standards were being complied.

The Chinese diplomat hoped that load shedding in Pakistan would end once the energy projects reach completion, as energy, he recalled, was recognised as a priority under CPEC.

President SVI Dr Zafar Iqbal Cheema said CPEC projects have given a fresh momentum to the trusted relations between China and Pakistan. This, he observed, not only added substance to the bilateral strategic ties but also opened up vast geostrategic avenues and possibilities for the two countries in particular and the region in general.

http://www.pakistantoday.com.pk/blo...de-keti-bunder-fata-in-cpec-senator-mushahid/

@PaklovesTurkiye @SherDil007

Don't even talk about Kalabagh if you want to reap any benefit from CPEC.

Lets keep it non controversial

some people are already trying hard to make CPEC Controversial.. but Alhamdulillah news like these removing the confusions ..

Kalabagh is just a wish :D :D

China can set up industrial parks in FATA after reforms.

I don't understand why Kalabagh dam is such an controversial issue. Anyway there are plenty of other dams that can be built so lets make them first instead of just crying kalabagh kalabagh and not doing anything.

No to kalabagh dam, end of story.

Sir, why is that? I would really like to know the history behind it. Why the opposition to a dam? A dam can only bring you water, business opportunities and electricity and the displaced population, if any, will get better, newer homes close by.....please explain. I've read a lot about this dam but never understood why the "no". Thank you.

Sir, why is that? I would really like to know the history behind it. Why the opposition to a dam? A dam can only bring you water, business opportunities and electricity and the displaced population, if any, will get better, newer homes close by.....please explain. I've read a lot about this dam but never understood why the "no". Thank you.

Ethno-nationalist political parties claim, it will sink part of KP.

It's actually due to the political elite owning a lot of land in that area which would get submerged. So in order to save it they've used the usual misinformation to rally the gullible, uneducated, illiterate, moronic, idiotic, ethnically charged masses against it. The misinformation can range from "Punjab will steal all the electricity" and "KPK will drown" to "With all the electricity extracted from the water what will you water your crops with?". I am not kidding.

Ask the two opposers above, see if they even know why they oppose it.

It's actually due to the political elite owning a lot of land in that area which would get submerged. So in order to save it they've used the usual misinformation to rally the gullible, uneducated, illiterate, moronic, idiotic, ethnically charged masses against it. The misinformation can range from "Punjab will steal all the electricity" and "KPK will drown" to "With all the electricity extracted from the water what will you water your crops with?". I am not kidding.

Ask the two opposers above, see if they even know why they oppose it.

Honestly, if what you wrote is true, I am speechless......."if you extract electric out of the water, what would be left in the water for crops?" :hitwall:

I did as one of the opposer. Let's see if he can shed some light!

Back
Top Bottom