What's new

Global Innovation Index 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Already debated ad nauseum.

Malta is more than twice as "innovative" as Russia.

Uh huh. Got it.

they should make separate rankings for small countries.

Already debated ad nauseum.

Malta is more than twice as "innovative" as Russia.

Uh huh. Got it.

You can see that final index is average of ~90 parameters, innovation exist not only in technology, innovation is a part of human experience, innovate is to perfect, to make better, every system subjected to innovation be it a political system or SLV(Space Launching Vehicle)

You can see that final index is average of ~90 parameters, innovation exist not only in technology, innovation is a part of human experience, innovate is to perfect, to make better, every system subjected to innovation be it a political system or SLV(Space Launching Vehicle)

I have a personal bias. I only respect "achievements" which can be objectively measured.

A rocket either goes to the moon or it doesn't.
A missile either hits the target or it doesn't.
A car either meets the performance parameters or it doesn't.

I don't have any respect for "feel good" consolation prizes based on subjective evaluations.

Why? it based on per population, hence size doesn't matter.

because those tiny sh1t countries with small population size will always look good on this type of pissing contest.. :lol:

I have a personal bias. I only respect "achievements" which can be objectively measured.

A rocket either goes to the moon or it doesn't.
A missile either hits the target or it doesn't.
A car either meets the performance parameters or it doesn't.

I don't have any respect for "feel good" consolation prizes based on subjective evaluations.

Political system not achievements based?
First of all, to make general population feel good and be satisfied with life is no less of a challenge than building SLV, satellite and send it into the orbit, it is a matter of priority.
Secondly, where in this report you found "feel good" parameter? all parameters seems to be objective hard core quantifiable.

Political system not achievements based?
First of all, to make general population feel good and be satisfied with life is no less of a challenge than building SLV, satellite and send it into the orbit, it is a matter of priority.
Secondly, where in this report you found "feel good" parameter? all parameters seems to be objective hard core quantifiable.

The report measures two types of factors: inputs (which facilitate innovation) and outputs (which are evidence of innovation).

Right off the bat, I throw away the inputs because they are worthless. It doesn't matter if you have 100 universities and billion dollars in R&D, if they don't produce citable research. The only thing that matter is output, i.e. actual innovation.

As for the output factors, they give equal weight to hard core scientific output, as they do to soft "achievements" like process improvement and such. Designing a jet engine is not in the same category of achievement, for me, as shortening the lunch break by five minutes. Again, that's a personal bias and, if you feel they are equal, that's fine.

because those tiny sh1t countries with small population size will always look good on this type of pissing contest.. :lol:

This index is not measuring world impact, it measure quality

The report measures two types of factors: inputs (which facilitate innovation) and outputs (which are evidence of innovation).

Right off the bat, I throw away the inputs because they are worthless. It doesn't matter if you have 100 universities and billion dollars in R&D, if they don't produce citable research. The only thing that matter is output, i.e. actual innovation.

As for the output factors, they give equal weight to hard core scientific output, as they do to soft "achievements" like process improvement and such. Designing a jet engine is not in the same category of achievement, for me, as shortening the lunch break by five minutes. Again, that's a personal bias and, if you feel they are equal, that's fine.

To innovate is to perfect, make it better, EFFICIENT! efficiency is the Input-Output Delta!

To innovate is to perfect, make it better, EFFICIENT! efficiency is the Input-Output Delta!

That's not how the terms 'input' and 'output' are used in the report.

Input is defined as 'innovation enablers'.
Output is defined as 'innovation products'.

That's not how the terms 'input' and 'output' are used in the report.

Input is defined as 'innovation enablers'.
Output is defined as 'innovation products'.

Exactly! the "enablers" are what you have, and "innovation products" is what they managed to accomplish

Iran have more scientist and engineers per capita than Israel yet technological output is immense, of course Israel spend by factor of 2.5 than Iran on R&D

China is only 35th...

But I think this rank is ridiculous! Just look at the strength & weakness analysis, can uploading video on youtube really means innovative? I seriously doubt that. China definitely got ZERO point and thus lag much behind other indicators. China's innovative is below averaged by such nonsense indicator.

As for other indicators, such as political environment, press freedom, I totally agree, except youtube upload

QQ622A56FE20130713102831_zps7a52a44e.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom