What's new

German WW2 and pre-WW2 March Songs

My knowledge of Prussian March's is slightly weak, the ones that i am aware of is due to them being widely used during military parades under Nazi regime. Perhaps you can assist me in updating this thread with more German march songs, both pre WW2 and WW2. I would appreciate that.

Dear Sir,

I would be happy to submit my suggestions to you as URLs, with as much information about them as I have, or can garner.

Would it be suitable if I do four or five a day?

Warm regards,
'Joe'

Dear Sir,

I would be happy to submit my suggestions to you as URLs, with as much information about them as I have, or can garner.

Would it be suitable if I do four or five a day?

Warm regards,
'Joe'

No problem, post as many as you can on this thread, but do take your time, no need to rush.

The Germans, and the Prussians before them, and the older German stem Duhchies before them, and so on back to the time when they consumed Roman Legions for lunch, won wars. They did not win by stepping out and deciding that it was a good day to fight a war. They prepared, systematically. A useful German word to remember in this connection is Gruendlichkeit.

As might be expected, this Discipline extended into every intellectual exercise. How to march was no exception. As early as in 1817, King Friedrich Wilhelm III collected 36 slow marches and 36 quick marches and decreed that no other marches were permitted in his presence! This grew, slowly, to three collections:

Collection I. : Slow marches for Infantry (Fusstruppen). 115 nos.;
Collection II. : Quick marches. 269;
Collection III : Cavalry marches. 149.

These were collected in the Armeemarschsammlung, or the AM,and took on a numbering code. Each march was numbered according to collection and a running number. For instance, of those already presented, the Hohenfriedberger was AMIII 1b*, the Koniggraetzer was AMII 195, the Pappenheimermarsch was a slow march, AMI 100, and Preussens Gloria was AMIi 240. Beethoven made a guest appearance with his Yorkscher Marsch at AMII 103!

* Group III! Why? Anybody like to tell us why this is a 'cavalry' tune?

This was the old numbering and is no longer the way these are numbered now.

Here please find Bethoven's Yorckscher Marsch, dedicated to the old Prussian general Major General Ludwig Yorck von Wartenburg, famous for his participation in the reforms of the Prussian Army after Tilsit. This march is not only excellent musically, it has a great deal of significance in present day military ritual.

Since Prussia and the Prussian army played a big role in the German states, the march is also often played and one of the most important German military marches. It is the traditional March of the Wachbataillon, the German Bundeswehr's elite drill unit, it is also played at the first march at the Grand Tattoo and it was the traditional March of the East German armed forces.

http://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rc...9tXpfu_Sz4Zbf-MrA&sig2=v90m5K8nPPWVgtFSZNZAJg

I picked this out of the alternatives available because the music is "pure", not tarted up, and is played at the correct tempo, below 120, almost a Brigade of Guards tempo - very apt, considering that Yorck changed his name from Jark to Yorck to sound more British!

The Germans, and the Prussians before them, and the older German stem Duhchies before them, and so on back to the time when they consumed Roman Legions for lunch, won wars. They did not win by stepping out and deciding that it was a good day to fight a war. They prepared, systematically. A useful German word to remember in this connection is Gruendlichkeit.

As might be expected, this Discipline extended into every intellectual exercise. How to march was no exception. As early as in 1817, King Friedrich Wilhelm III collected 36 slow marches and 36 quick marches and decreed that no other marches were permitted in his presence! This grew, slowly, to three collections:

Collection I. : Slow marches for Infantry (Fusstruppen). 115 nos.;
Collection II. : Quick marches. 269;
Collection III : Cavalry marches. 149.

These were collected in the Armeemarschsammlung, or the AM,and took on a numbering code. Each march was numbered according to collection and a running number. For instance, of those already presented, the Hohenfriedberger was AMIII 1b*, the Koniggraetzer was AMII 195, the Pappenheimermarsch was a slow march, AMI 100, and Preussens Gloria was AMIi 240. Beethoven made a guest appearance with his Yorkscher Marsch at AMII 103!

* Group III! Why? Anybody like to tell us why this is a 'cavalry' tune?

This was the old numbering and is no longer the way these are numbered now.

Here please find Bethoven's Yorckscher Marsch, dedicated to the old Prussian general Major General Ludwig Yorck von Wartenburg, famous for his participation in the reforms of the Prussian Army after Tilsit. This march is not only excellent musically, it has a great deal of significance in present day military ritual.

http://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rc...9tXpfu_Sz4Zbf-MrA&sig2=v90m5K8nPPWVgtFSZNZAJg

I picked this out of the alternatives available because the music is "pure", not tarted up, and is played at the correct tempo, below 120, almost a Brigade of Guards tempo - very apt, considering that Yorck changed his name from Jark to Yorck to sound more British!

Dear sir, your valuable input is highly appreciated, and i would not mind at all if you continue to contribute to the thread with your knowledgeable input.

Thanks

Dear sir, your valuable input is highly appreciated, and i would not mind at all if you continue to contribute to the thread with your knowledgeable input.

Thanks

With the support and the encouragement of our OP, we continue to look at German marches, and shall try to present those that were sung, as much as possible.

However, as a quick aside, to close off our initial theme of marches composed by mainstream composers, we present here two similar sounding one's, the Rakoczi March, which was re-done both by Berlioz, as part of the opera, The Damnation of Faust, and by Liszt, and the famous Radetzky March, by the waltz king, Strauss.

The Rakoczi March already existed as the Rakoczi Song, in which form it was an inspiration for Hungarian patriots to rise in revolt against the Austrians, and the words were a call to the patriot Rakoczi (Ra Koch She) to return to lead his countrymen. The revolt was cruelly crushed; there are reasons, similarities why the Hungarians of 1848 appeal to me, but let us stay with the music. It is still popular today in Hungary, as an unofficial Hungarian national anthem.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg2nfDJrRxU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

If Hitler did'nt attack Russia he would surely win the war !

Dedicated to all of those brave Soldiers who fought till the bitter end to defend Europe from being taken over by the Bolshevik Reds, they were the true anti-Communists, not that joke of Western Allies later on known as NATO which actually assisted in the spread of Communism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg3uIK5TM4A&feature=related

The true liberators of Ukraine, Latvia, Lithuania, and other bolshevik occupied territories of Eastern Europe and Western Russia, may their souls rest in peace!

Marschlied der Leibstandarte

Marschlied der Leibstandarte - YouTube

"This is a post-war recording of a very rare song of the Leibstandarte SS Adolf Hitler; this song belongs for sure to the LSSAH since the name of the unit is mentioned in the refrain. Please do not post any political or offensive comment, I only want to share this song with collectors, historians and reenactors.
Enjoy!"

Wir ziehn von dem Strande die Straßen einher
der Belt lockt die jungen Glieder
wir ziehn in der Sonne der Affe wiegt schwer
wer singt noch die lustigen Lieder?

|:Das ist die Garde, die unser Führer liebt, ja liebt,
die stolze Leibstandarte, die da stirbt eh sie sich ergibt!:|

Und ruft uns zum Kampfe das Vaterland
da gibt es kein Zaudern und Zagen
dann nimm Kamerad dein Gewehr in die Hand
um Fahne und Freiheit zu wahren!

|:Ja, wir sind die Garde, die unser Führer liebt, ja liebt,