What's new

G20 Summit: US, India, UAE, Saudi to finalise Middle-East shipping, railway deal

Hope the ev transformation takes place as fast as possible and we get rid of dirty oil once and for all. If this agreement can increase green transformation it’s good news.
For sure, EVs are superior in every way.

Any plan that does not include Italy, Egypt and Turkiye and is not approved by these countries will not work in the eastern Mediterranean. I am just saying. Anyone with some knowledge of the current situation and dynamics in the Middle East would agree that this plan is far-fetched and unfeasible.

But I am not interested in this part of the issue, the real issue here is the exclusion of Egypt. What will this bring?

It will enable the Italian and Chinese supported Turkiye-Iraq logistics corridor, for which the signatures were signed 4-5 months ago and the work has started, to increase the power of BRI in two directions by including Egypt and diversifying the sea route.

(There is another issue, the Misrata logistics corridor plan, through which the trade of sub-Saharan countries, where France is losing its dominance one by one, will open to the Mediterranean and Italy via Libya. Guess which global actor is gathering power in these regions - China.)

The third and final step is the main land route from Central Asia via the high speed railway line. The only obstacle here is Armenia's dragging feet to implementation of the Peace Plan. The Pakistan-Iran-Turkiye railway has already started to operate.

I can understand that the deal is being soaping and marketed as a very big event, but China is not one step ahead, but several steps ahead. The US-India strategy is making more mistakes as it seeks to close the gap.

Last edited:
Thanks to the high-speed railway line and the strait crossing without transshipment in TR, goods from Asia can be transported to Europe without interruption and without changing vehicles. England, France, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Hungary, Hungary, Serbia, Bulgaria, Turkiye, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan and China are connected by rail. Capacity increasing as the missing stages are completed. Also: Iran and Pakistan will soon form the southern wing of this line.

On the other hand, the lets say rival project of the India-US strategy, which materialised years before this, is the connection to the Anatolian-European system via a dry canal, energy and railway line start with the port of Basra by entering by Gulf. Most parts of this project have been completed and there are only infrastructure works inside Iraq.

On the other side, Egypt has made extraordinary investments in the Suez Canal. Some of these investments were made during the diplomatic/interests frictions between the UAE and the KSA. Egypt has traditionally been the safest and most stable route as a country sitting on the Suez Canal. Anyone who thinks that they intend to lose this position is living in a dream world.

In the US-Indian plan, the goods are loaded twice on the ships. Moreover, the route is not from Jeddah, but the land route is started from the UAE with new rail line. By the way, I don't know if it is necessary to mention that the largest port in Israel is operated by a Chinese partnership. The ideal of shortening the Suez route in terms of time is unrealistic and impossible in terms of cost. Ships waiting for entry into the canal take no longer than the unloading in the Gulf, transport to Haifa by rail/highway and reloading at Haifa port.

Last edited:
Pakistan's land based train freight trade corridor via Iran and Turkey is soo much better.

This new India "trade corridor" is the best shitty attempt at one given that there is no other option available to them. With the embarking/de-embarking of goods, it makes this route expensive, and very slow and in reality represents strategic failure for India's attempt to overcome CPEC and the BRI ...

( Also China has access to this same land corridor via Pakistan/CPEC if it wants to or needs to use it ).

Pakistani generals are the problem. Remember how Bajwa dragged Pakistan into the US camp? Today Pakistan China relations are weaker due to Bajwa's bootlicking of the Americans. Pakistan's main ally has always been China. Pakistan's main ally will always be China.

Europe is lining up for FTA with India.

Chance with fta with Europe and india is next to nothing, eu is famous for dragging its feet and then get all 26 states has to agree…even Canada and eu trade deal took a decade to implement lol

Indian best bet is USA. But I doubt us politicians has balls to sign another free trade deal. Unless they want to lose the election. Republicans won’t for sure.

Thanks to the high-speed railway line and the strait crossing without transshipment in TR, goods from Asia can be transported to Europe without interruption and without changing vehicles. England, France, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Hungary, Hungary, Serbia, Bulgaria, Turkiye, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan and China are connected by rail. Capacity increasing as the missing stages are completed. Also: Iran and Pakistan will soon form the southern wing of this line.

On the other hand, the lets say rival project of the India-US strategy, which materialised years before this, is the connection to the Anatolian-European system via a dry canal, energy and railway line start with the port of Basra by entering by Gulf. Most parts of this project have been completed and there are only infrastructure works inside Iraq.

On the other side, Egypt has made extraordinary investments in the Suez Canal. Some of these investments were made during the diplomatic/interests frictions between the UAE and the KSA. Egypt has traditionally been the safest and most stable route as a country sitting on the Suez Canal. Anyone who thinks that they intend to lose this position is living in a dream world.

In the US-Indian plan, the goods are loaded twice on the ships. Moreover, the route is not from Jeddah, but the land route is started from the UAE with new rail line. By the way, I don't know if it is necessary to mention that the largest port in Israel is operated by a Chinese partnership. The ideal of shortening the Suez route in terms of time is unrealistic and impossible in terms of cost. Ships waiting for entry into the canal take no longer than the unloading in the Gulf, transport to Haifa by rail/highway and reloading at Haifa port.
No one is going to move stuff through Iran. I doubt it would even exist as a nation in the next few years. Maybe even sooner.

Besides, as I said, it's way more than just a trade route for goods, it's also about energy, communications, etc.

Haifa has a Chinese port and an Indian port. I guess Netanyahu sold it to the Indians with prior knowledge to this plan.

The project India-ME-Europe though by a Spanish researcher!! Great Read!!

the researcher cannot even get a map of india and pakistan correct..

1694602269559.png

not sure how good the rest of the article would be then ..

Back
Top Bottom