What's new

Fearing arrest Musharraf postpones return plan

chanikya

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Islamabad: Pakistan’s former military ruler Pervez Musharraf today delayed his plans to return home from self-exile after warnings from the government that he would be immediately arrested on his arrival in the country.

Leaders of Musharraf‘s All Pakistan Muslim League told the media that he had delayed his plans to return to Pakistan later this month after consulting friends and party leaders.

Home no safe haven. Reuters
“Musharraf may not return to Pakistan this month,” said Muhammad Ali Saif, the former president’s spokesman.

“Close friends are advising him against returning now,” Saif told reporters.

He sought to put a positive spin on the development by saying that Musharraf had been advised by his aides that his return at this juncture would provide “relief” to the government which is grappling with several crises.

The 68-year-old Musharraf had announced earlier this month that he intended to fly into the port city of Karachi between 27 and 30 January.

Days after his announcement, Sindh Home Minister Manzoor Wassan said Musharraf would be arrested and sent to jail as soon as he arrived in Karachi.

Interior Minister Rehman Malik told the Senate or upper house of parliament on Wednesday that Musharraf would be arrested under the law of the land whenever he arrives in Pakistan.

“The moment he lands, he will go to jail,” he said.

Musharraf’s spokesman Saif said the former president was not afraid of such threats or the cases that have been filed against him in Pakistan.

“Musharraf is not afraid of being arrested. The authorities will have to treat him according to his status and the law,” he said.

“The former president has never refused to appear before the courts. He will face the courts and the cases against him whenever he returns,” Saif said.

Musharraf seized power in 1999 in Pakistan’s third military coup but was forced to step down as president in August 2008 after the Pakistan People’s Party formed a government following elections.

He has been living in Dubai and London since April 2009.

In October, a court issued a warrant for his arrest over the killing of Baloch nationalist leader Akbar Bugti in a military operation in August 2006.

Fearing arrest Musharraf postpones return plan | Firstpost

Musharaf is dependent on support from USA and then from Army(ISI). Army is in no mood or need to give clearance to this American Stooge and America is no position to use any of his pressure upon anybody. He had a rising popularity period when PPP and PMLN where both doing their patent "haram-kari" and people started looking towards any third option and he appeared as one, but after Imran Khan emmerged, there is no vote-bank which would look towards Musharaf for their solutions.

I had bit of respect for Musharaf for some of this actions but after listening to his interview which he gave to Kamran Khan, I found he had nothing other than "May" (Me - Musharaf) or "everybody else is fool and I am all-wise". He seem to have worn out the bit of intellect he used to had.

I remember that "MAIN KSIS SE DARTA NAI HOON" :lol:
Miss. Odho would be SAD to hear this.

on what grounds will he be arrested what are the charges against him

breaking news:musharraff delays plans to return to pakistan..reported express news

[video]http://tribune.com.pk/story/324036/musharraf-delays-return-to-pakistan/[/video]

1.This man is without any scruples whatsoever. Now he is playing the Israel card hoping Zionists and Americans will pressurize any caretaker/interim Pak Govt to allow him to return for elections. He is locally tied with the Qadyinai syndicate through marriage. And IK has same problem - tied to the Zionists through marriage. And further, the Zionists and the Qadyianis have a strategic tie up extending globally. A marriage of IK and Mush may have already been arranged by these powers.

2. Pakistan politics is in real mess.

Look at the Musharraf haters gathering. :disagree:

Its not 99% who look odd here, its the 1% who appear to "gather" and admire Musharaf probably for the love of God. I wouldn't be surprised if in next 2 years a fraction of population would stand in forums like these and start admiring Zardari.

Back
Top Bottom