What's new

Fast Attack Vessels (40+ kn, endurant and armed with missiles)

tk1nxu0469oq3general

New Recruit

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Guys,

I am doing a research of the Fast Patrol Boat market. I am looking at vessels of 40 + kn in top speed, with relatively heavy weaponry to at least paralyse much bigger vessels and with higher endurance). I came up with these ships:

• Ambassador Mk III (IV)
  • Combattante FS56 Stealth
  • Gumdoksuri
  • Hayabusa
  • Houbei (Type 022)
  • Independence
  • ONUK MRTP 22
  • ONUK MRTP 34
  • ONUK MRTP 44
  • Skjold
  • Super Dvora Mk III
Could you give me a feedback? Have I forgotten something? Which of these ships are probably the best for the purpose I have described?

Thanks!

Ambassador Mk III (IV)
Hjttwtb.jpg

Ambassador MK III Missile Boat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Combattante FS56 Stealth (as yet concept only?)
maxresdefault.jpg

CMN Naval » Combattante

Gumdoksuri
pkx-4.jpg

Gumdoksuri-class patrol vessel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Guys,

I am doing a research of the Fast Patrol Boat market. I am looking at vessels of 40 + kn in top speed, with relatively heavy weaponry to at least paralyse much bigger vessels and with higher endurance). I came up with these ships:

• Ambassador Mk III (IV)
  • Combattante FS56 Stealth
  • Gumdoksuri
  • Hayabusa
  • Houbei (Type 022)
  • Independence
  • ONUK MRTP 22
  • ONUK MRTP 34
  • ONUK MRTP 44
  • Skjold
  • Super Dvora Mk III
Could you give me a feedback? Have I forgotten something? Which of these ships are probably the best for the purpose I have described?

Thanks!
@Neptune can you help this guy out?

in terms of fire power the Independence, but that's like almost 5 times the tonnage, then it's the Egyptian and then Korean, Chinese and Jaoanese about same, but they are half the size of Egyptian and korean ones.

In terms of speed Type 22, according to Chinese sources it is 50 knots. But it may not be the fastest, but it's up there.. In terms of speed independence is crazy fast for its size, but it's also way more expensive.

in terms of paralyzing a bigger ship, it depends, a lot of ships today are not built as single combat ships they are suppose to complement each other. One on one, I think a lot of them would have the advantage, with the Independence boosting the best weapons and stealth. The others may have better stealth only because they are so much smaller, but the difference isn't as huge as one might suspect.

I would give the edge to independence for everything, but keep in mind the price and build time and size difference.

However keep this in mind there are at least 80+ type 022, with some rumored to be much more, so it may lack the weapons due to size, but for every 1 we can put out at least 8, if not more, so....not sure if you would take that into account.

Hayabusa
japan-jmsdf-pg-hayabusa-class.jpg

Hayabusa-class patrol boat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Houbei (Type 022)
bei-class-fast-attack-missile-craft-stealth-catamaran-hulls-peoples-liberation-army-navy-plan-or-pla-navy-test-firing-8-yj-83-anti-ship-missiles-1.jpg

Type 022 missile boat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

IF INdependence is meant to refer to an fast attack craft, then there is no such class. The LCS is does not qualify as 'fast attack craft', which term is in reference to boats well under 1000 tons fl displacement. You begin to see usage of the term "corvette'' from around 850 tons and up.

Bora-class guided missile hovercraft Bora-class guided missile hovercraft
displacement around 1,050 tonnes
Bora-class guided missile hovercraft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
The boats were formerly classed as MTBs (motor torpedo boats) but, from 2009, the Royal Norwegian Navy has described them as coastal corvettes (kystkorvett) because their seaworthiness is seen as comparable to corvettes, and because they do not carry torpedoes.
However, in many ways (high speed stealth design, heavy ASh missile armament, limited displacement, gun armament and sensors) very ,comparable to Type 022

ONUK MRTP 20/22
mrtp-22-sat-boat.jpg

YONCA-ONUK JV » ONUK MRTP 22 FAST ATTACK CRAFT

ONUK MRTP 33/34
MRTP-33.jpg

YONCA-ONUK JV » ONUK MRTP 33 FAST PATROL / ATTACK CRAFT
YONCA-ONUK JV » ONUK MRTP 34 FAST PATROL / ATTACK CRAFT

ONUK MRTP 44
hakkimizda-3.jpg

ONUK-BG

IAI-Ramta Super Dvora Mk III
attachment.php

Super Dvora Mk III-class patrol boat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

IAI-Ramta Shaldag fac
f84018bcba50.jpg

Shaldag-class fast patrol boat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

All really low tonnage (under 150 tons) fast patrol boats, which in some cases can carry AShM, but which have no real independent targeting capability nor serious naval gunnage.

Missing:

Turkey - Kilıiç class
P331.jpg

Kılıç-class fast attack craft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Other significant FACs in the 500-800 ton bracket (the rest/smaller ones are very very limited), usually capable of 35 kn and having SSM as well as medium naval guns. E.g. :
Victory class (Singapore) Victory-class corvette - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Roussen/Barzan Super Vita class (Greece) Roussen-class fast attack craft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sa'ar 4.5 Hetz class (Israel) Sa'ar 4.5-class missile boat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Fincantieri 70m fac Fast Attack Craft

IMHO lots of apples and oranges in the list, due to emphasis on missile and speed criteria, and no attention to missile targeting, endurance, seakeeping, self defence etc.

Last edited:
Sparviero-class small hydrofoil missile boats
Speed:93 km/h (50 kn)
Range:
740 km (400 nmi) at 45 kn (83 km/h)
Sparviero-class patrol boat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

falconemm80nn8.jpg

sparviero1.jpg

Pegasus
-class hydrofoils

Speed:12 knots (22 km/h; 14 mph) hullborne
48 knots (89 km/h; 55 mph) foilborne
Pegasus-class hydrofoil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
PHM Hydrofoil Rescued From the Scrap Dealer
12160112.jpg

Sarancha-class missile boat

Speed:58 kn (107 km/h)
Range:700 nmi (1,300 km)
Sarancha-class missile boat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
hydrofoil-missile-boat-sarancha-nato-warship-1960.jpg

1638269617.18949640-500x325.jpg

IF INdependence is meant to refer to an fast attack craft, then there is no such class. The LCS is does not qualify as 'fast attack craft', which term is in reference to boats well under 1000 tons fl displacement. You begin to see usage of the term "corvette'' from around 850 tons and up.
You would include a 3,104 metric tons full load Indepences class LCS but leave out the stealthly 640 ton Visby class, capable of 35+ knots?
Visby-class corvette - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
66ysna.jpg

Back
Top Bottom