What's new

Falklanders vote 99% to remain British

Falklands vote in favour of staying British

Approximately 99 percent residents vote "yes" to remain British overseas territory, amid Argentina's claim on islands.

12 Mar 2013 02:24

Only three votes were cast against the islands remaining British [Reuters]
Falkland Islanders have vote overwhelmingly in favour of remaining a British oversees territory in a referendum designed to send a strong message to Argentina, which earlier derided the poll as illegal.

About 92 percent of the islands' 1,672 eligible voters turned out to deliver a 98.8 percent "yes" vote in favour of staying an internally self-governing British territory, election officials in capital Port Stanley announced on Tuesday.

Only three votes were cast against the islands remaining British.

The resounding "yes" result, delivered at around 22:30pm local time (01:30 GMT) on the remote South Atlantic archipelago, was not in doubt, setting the stage for an after-vote party.

Argentina, which invaded the islands in 1982 before its troops were ousted by a British task force after a short but bloody war, maintained its dismissive line on the vote.

"It's a manoeuvre with no legal value, which has neither been convened nor supervised by the United Nations," said Alicia Castro, Argentina's ambassador to London.

"We respect their way of life, their identity. We respect that they want to continue being British, but the territory they inhabit is not British," she told Buenos Aires radio station La Red.

Falklands vote in favour of staying British - Americas - Al Jazeera English

Sham referendum and Sham democracy. That likes killing off the native and populating the land with your own people and then hold a referendum. How did American annex Hawaii again? Oh yeah, colluding with white businessmen to undermine Hawaiian society.

The people on the island are pretty colonizers. If they want to be Britshit they should move back to where they belong.

Sham referendum and Sham democracy. That likes killing off the native and populating the land with your own people and then hold a referendum. How did American annex Hawaii again? Oh yeah, colluding with white businessmen to undermine Hawaiian society.

The people on the island are pretty colonizers. If they want to be Britshit they should move back to where they belong.

I personlly think the vote has been Rigged . I just looked at the BBC report and just showed one british female officer talking about the falkans.

Well Argentinans is also not the native population of the islands...

Nor are the English whats your point ?

I personlly think the vote has been Rigged . I just looked at the BBC report and just showed one british female officer talking about the falkans

Even if it is rigged, no one will take the poll seriously because it wasn't U.N approved.

Nor are the English whats your point ?

So just leave the islands alone... Although I think the British deserve it more as they've been there longer than the Spanish Argentinians

No natives.

I'm just saying :) well I wouldn't be surprised.
Rigged? I am surprised it wasn't 100%.
Why on earth would they vote to become a part of Argentina? A country that invaded their home?

Actually, THEY invaded Argentine territory in the first place.

What i cant belive that there is someone that thinks UK cares about the people, they just whant to keep the island for military and economic reasons and are using the people as human shields, the 3 that voted agasint may understand that.

When Argentina recovered the islands we did it under direct order to not open fire on anyone, not even to the very small UK forces that where on station, it was UK who bring war on them for their own reasons, and i can assure you, the people was not one of them.

the 82 war was 100% political in order to distract people, still it was an attempt to be taken seriusly by UK by forcing them to sit down and talk, we did that because UK never wanted to talk, thats why the landing force was under order to not shoot anyone.
Instead of talk, the bring on the fleet leving their home undefended in the case of an URSS attack to bring war on Argentina, and killed a few islanders in the process.

UK is not a victim and they never cared about their own people living there. I can understand they wanted to defend what they belive its theirs, because we do the same, but UK plays the victim card and the "we care about the people" and the "its not our fault, is the people choice", and its just a bunch of lies.

Actually, THEY invaded Argentine territory in the first place.

What i cant belive that there is someone that thinks UK cares about the people, they just whant to keep the island for military and economic reasons and are using the people as human shields, the 3 that voted agasint may understand that.

When Argentina recovered the islands we did it under direct order to not open fire on anyone, not even to the very small UK forces that where on station, it was UK who bring war on them for their own reasons, and i can assure you, the people was not one of them.

Possession is nine tenths of the law.
An invasion is an invasion no matter how you try to dress it up.
Go back to Spain.

Possession is nine tenths of the law.
An invasion is an invasion no matter how you try to dress it up.
Go back to Spain.

If everyone follow this rule then we won't have so much hypocrisy. Argentina should buy more weapon from China and go to war with the Britshit again.

If everyone follow this rule then we won't have so much hypocrisy. Argentina should buy more weapon from China and go to war with the Britshit again.

Make sure their is a sh.t load of anti ship missiles and sub torpedoes this time. Preferably not from France.
A few dozen SU-35 from russia with BVR. A good supply of cruise missiles.

Once the brits have used any natural resources in the area. I think they will probably leave.

of course they did...the britishers have fcked up the demographics there to their advantage and liking...!

Argentina should buy more weapon from China and go to war with the Britshit again.

i hope they do

would be a good show to see

It means nothing? If 100% had voted to become part of Argentina, it definitely would not mean nothing to you.

jamie my boy, when are you returning us the koh noor diamond? which you stole from us? lets do voting how many south asians want it to be returned?

As i have pointed out before

these are Falkland Islanders

Falkland-Islanders.jpg

These are Argentinians

argentina1.jpg

See any similarities?

Actually Argentina ha been always saying their where english people, that was never un doubt as they invaded the island, expelled the small Argentinian population and bring in their own one. Its like what Israel did.

This referendum says nothing new, but i think it was a move to trick the islanders, now there is 0 chance for them being independent, that was the real threat to UK nowdays, if they become independent, UK loss both the island and the main basis to sustain the claim over Antartida territory.

Back
Top Bottom