What's new

Explosion sinks INS Sindhurakshak Submarine with 18 onboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
How pathetic, what if this was just a malfunction caused by a clerical or procedural error. In the guise of blaming others a potentially repeatable error may never be caught. But that is media, I would rather stick to the IN to identify the cause. They are professionals and may use their brains and not other fragile parts to reach a conclusions whatever it may be.

In every occasion something like this happens, every where in the world- TV anchors discuss " could it possibly be due to terrorism"?

Always Neutral . thanks for clarification....Please don't call me sir !

Here is update from rediff news according to sources from Indian Navy . "No damage to other subs. Sindhuratna is fine !!! "

I am sure that the 3 Kilos will be like that in the picture shown for the 3 Uk Submarines as one exploded and the two also got fire and get involved in this Chain Reaction...

I am sure the fire was of the ships and port facilities near by..

You really are dumb cluck. Submarines are parked side by side do you know why?

Well let me educate you.

Submarines suffer from lack of Officers compared to ships so when the submarines are berthed together it is easier to share Officer of the Day, fire fighting duties etc. but rarely will you see a submarine fully loaded with armaments next to a submarine which under refit (maintenance)

All Navies have a tug boats on immediate standby and usually if there is a fire the tug would have towed away any nearby vessel away. This would have been done within 10 mins of any fire.

Independence day Ruined....... I had a dream of a submarine sinking the day before....am just completely sick right now

Always Neutral . thanks for clarification....Please don't call me sir !

Here is update from rediff news according to sources from Indian Navy . "No damage to other subs. Sindhuratna is fine !!! "

Don't believe any new report yet as that is the knee jerk reactions of all Navies of diluting the truth but if the news is true, I would say well done to the Dockyard people. My information which is very reliable is that the second submarine was also damaged but got away.

Huge setback to Indian navy

The Sindhurakshak is widely seen as India's most advanced diesel-electric submarine, designed and built for anti-submarine and anti-ship warfare, defending naval bases, securing coasts and sea lanes of communication, reconnaissance and maritime patrol operations.

The Indian navy has been aiming towards more than 30 submarines to strengthen coastal defence, but it has only 14. The 16-year-old Russian-built Sindhurakshak was among these 14. No new sub has been inducted in 16 years.

The Sindhurakshak was handed over to India in January after nearly two years of overhaul and refitting in Russia at the cost of 480 crore rupees. It was expected to serve the navy for at least 10 more years.The 2,300-tonne submarine was upgraded with an improved electronic warfare systems, control system and integrated weapon control system.It had the latest variant of a Russian-made submarine-specific cruise missile system capable of hitting targets more than 150 miles away.

996094-130814-ins-sindhurakshak.jpg

According to the media reports the Submarine has sunk.

The Australian | Indian submarine INS Sindhurakshak catches fire, Sinks

INS Sindhurakshak fire: 18 sailors trapped after explosion
18 sailors are believed trapped on the INS Sindhurakshak, a diesel-powered submarine which exploded and sank at the high-security naval dockyard in Mumbai this morning.

"I feel sad about those navy personnel who have lost their lives in service of the country," Defence Minister AK Antony said in Delhi. He did not say how many people were killed.

The submarine was fully loaded when the explosion took place shortly after midnight; missiles and torpedos were detonated in the fire, sources said.

At 1 pm, divers from the Navy had not managed to enter the submarine to locate the missing sailors; no contact had been established with them, either. "

The multiple blasts were so loud that that they could be heard and seen across parts of South Mumbai. An amateur video showed the fierce explosion which lit up the sky at the naval dockyard shortly after midnight.

Nearly a dozen fire engines rushed to the dockyard to douse the fire, which took two hours.

The INS Sindhurakshak, considered one of the world's most advanced non-nuclear submarines, had been returned by Russia less than a year ago after a major refit. It is a kilo-class submarine which normally operates with a crew of 53 people.

India now has just nine other submarines in this class. The navy's submarine strength is already considered insufficient by defence analysts.

In February 2010, the INS Sindhurakshak also suffered a fire while docked in Visakhapatnam city in southern India, killing a 24-year-old sailor and leaving two others with burns.

Reports said another submarine docked close by, the INS Sindhuratna, managed to pull away, but has been damaged in the explosion.

What is this? It say the boat Sank and one other was damaged!
I hope the Sailors onboard were rescued. Condolence with the families of the ones who suffered from this accident.

Independence day Ruined....... I had a dream of a submarine sinking the day before....am just completely sick right now

You dreamed of it sinking?? And it sank! your dream came true!
Anyway hope they recover the other 18 people safely to the ground.

Actually 10-15 years ago both Indian Navy and Iranian Navy had a secret pact for this class of submarines including training.

It's a party!

Better to have a party on a military topic then on why a mediocre Indian Tennis Star married an equally mediocre Pakistani Cricketer as the trend has been here off late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom