What's new

DRDO Multical Rifle Unveiled- the next generation rifle for the IA

Not much diff from a piston driven mechanism.. the bled gas after travelling through the tube directly contacts or impinges the bolt carrier mechanism. So no more piston, operating rod.

I already knew about this action,it was first used in M 16A1.I just forgot the name at that moment.
THANX anyway.This direct impingement action is highly inefficient and maintainance nightmare despite of its weight and stability cum accuracy advantage.IMHO,a short stroke gas piston like the HK 416 or FN SCAR is ought to be used in this new rifle.

The right side one is ARDE MCIWS with a fore grip,different mag and a MARS sight.
The length is looking different due to different camera angle.

It's NOT a MARS RDS, it's some Indian RDS, I'll try to remember which one.

So isn't the barrel too long? I expected more compact design
For a standard infantry rifle you want a long(ish) barrel- it is meant to be a rifle and not a carbine after all.

I already knew about this action,it was first used in M 16A1.I just forgot the name at that moment.
THANX anyway.This direct impingement action is highly inefficient and maintainance nightmare despite of its weight and stability cum accuracy advantage.IMHO,a short stroke gas piston like the HK 416 or FN SCAR is ought to be used in this new rifle.
I'm no expert but doesn't eh long-stroke gas piston offer more controllability and hence accuracy?

The right side one is ARDE MCIWS with a fore grip,different mag and a MARS sight.
The length is looking different due to different camera angle.
or maybe due to different calibers used..anyways i'm happy with new replacement. It looks at par with Galil and Colt's

It's NOT a MARS RDS, it's some Indian RDS, I'll try to remember which one.

For a standard infantry rifle you want a long(ish) barrel- it is meant to be a rifle and not a carbine after all.

I'm no expert but doesn't eh long-stroke gas piston offer more controllability and hence accuracy?

THANX for the info wrt the sight.It looked like a MARS to me.
Here is what you need to know about long stroke gas piston operated self-loading action:
' With a long-stroke system, the
piston is mechanically fixed to the
bolt group and moves through
the entire operating cycle.

The primary advantage of the
long-stroke system, beyond
design simplicity and robustness,
is that the mass of the piston rod
adds to the momentum of the
bolt carrier enabling more positive
extraction, ejection, chambering,
and locking. Also, as the gas is
not directed back into the
chamber, the weapon stays
cleaner longer thus reducing the
likelihood of a malfunction.
The
primary disadvantage to this
system is the disruption of the
point of aim due to the center of
mass changing during the action
cycle, and energetic and abrupt
stops at the beginning and end of
bolt carrier travel.
So as you can see,due to continuous and rapid shifting of the bolt-carrier and longer heavier piston rod ,the centre of mass also shifts back and forth and abrupt,energetic stop at the start and end of each action cycle disturbs the stability of the rifle and thus accuracy is affected.

Hope it helps sir....

Last edited:
what about Trichy assault rifle? Any chance of it being inducted even in small numbers and para military?

what about Trichy assault rifle? Any chance of it being inducted even in small numbers and para military?
There's 0 point in in entering service with the IA, AFAIK some CAPFs have placed orders for it.

There's 0 point in in entering service with the IA, AFAIK some CAPFs have placed orders for it.
Oh well still thats great. Any Idea how many rifles will be procured by them? Approx?

YEAH,IA COIN troopers have already got a lot of Bulgarian and captured AKMs,no need for TAR for the time being.

By the way Abingdon sir,don't you think that ARDE and IA should have settled for the 6.5mm Lapua/Grendel instead of the Remington SPC??I mean the Lapua has got unmatched long distance terminal performance.

CqClKNb.jpg

kE9ffNu.jpg

DRDO Multi Caliber Rifle Prototype (7.62mm, 5.56mm and 6.8mm)

The rifle resembles hk 416 heavily but without a dust cover and forward assist. It wouldn't be surprising if it shares internal mechanisms and parts assembly. The soldiers would find the placement of charging handle odd though.

MCIWS.png

1> Front and rear flip up iron sights. So it seems that IA is now serious about optics on regular issue infantry AR
2> This reflex sight seem to be the same one mounted on the Milap/MSMC. Is this a Meprolight?
3> P-rails finally on 3, 6, 9 & 12 o'clock. Maybe the 12 o'clock rail should have been longer so that a 2/4x magnifier could be attached to the reflex sight?
4> M16 type cocking handle. Ambidextrous, but every time one reloads a mag, the weapon would have to be dismounted from the shoulder to operate it. Also, forward assist is missing. What happens in case of a soft let down of the bolt?
5> Basic cheek rest is ok for standard issue. But in case of larger (higher profile) optics like thermal or one with a laser rangefinder, it would be hard to align sight with eye in the absence of an adjustable cheek rest
6> Telescopic butt stock. How many positions are there? I guess this is not for CQB, else would have been a foldable butt stock (CQB/PDW task delegated to the MSMC?)
7> Only 2 sling points. Maybe a third sling point on the sides would have helped?
8> Bayonet lugs are the same as INSAS 1B1
9> Looks like a good hollow and textured ergonomic pistol grip, with place for a tool kit/cleaning kit inside
10> I would say that it has a gas operated short stroke self regulated action. Doesn't seem to have any gas adjusting mechanism. Definitely a floating barrel design
11> Polymer foregrip, which could be detached by taking out the front take-down pin (12) to reveal the full 6 o'clock P-rail to mount the UBGL
12> Front take-down pin to attach polymer foregrip, UBGL, or to disassemble the upper and lower receivers
13> Closed rotating bolt action. Ejection is not ambidextrous. No forward eject
14> Mag window. More clarity to the soldier to know how many rounds still left in the mounted mag
15> AR-15 style ambidextrous mag release
16> I think they might have placed the bolt release in front of the trigger, inside the trigger cavity, to be operated by the trigger finger, like in the ARX-160. Else, the trigger could be dual action where after cocking, the first short trigger pull releases the bolt
17> Ambidextrous fire selector lever. Standard Safe/Single/Burst modes
18> Rear take-down pin to disassemble the upper and lower receivers
19> Not exactly sure what it is. Most probably just the rivet pin for the hammer. Might also be the bolt release button.
20> Not sure what this polymer piece with 2 allen head screws is for. Maybe just to take off the upper polymer cover.

The receivers are not made out of stamped sheet metal like the AK or INSAS. This looks more like made out of cast lightweight alloy. So, it would be much more expensive than the INSAS and would not be produced as quickly as the INSAS. It would be lighter than the INSAS, but not as light as a gun with a full polymer body like the ARX-160. The metal crafting seems to be immaculate and impressive.

Picture editing and all observations are credited to arnabmit. Also thanks to Shaitan for
explaining the reflex sight on the gun as the Raptor, not the same as on MSMC.

a cheap and ugli looking hotch potch mix of INSAS , AKM & M16 butt,inspired by Magpul :P

so much gimmikerry hell it has even a tranparent box/ mag window near breach WTF

a cheap and ugli looking hotch potch mix of INSAS , AKM & M16 butt,inspired by Magpul :P

so much gimmikerry hell it has even a tranparent box/ mag window near breach WTF

What is your problem bro? Transperant mag is for the firer knowing how many rounds are still left in clip, we are
not the only ones using such a thing.

Back
Top Bottom