What's new

Documentary from 1971 War I Coloured Footage of Armed Conflict

dexter

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

بی بی سی کے نمائندے ایلن ہارٹ ڈھاکہ میں جنگ کے آغاز سے موجود تھے اور انھوں نے بی بی سی کے فلیگ شپ پروگرام پینوراما کے لیے 'دا برتھ آف بنگلہ دیش' کے نام سے تقریباً 40 منٹ طویل فلم بنائی جس میں جنگ کی صورتحال کی لمحہ بہ لمحہ رپورٹنگ کے علاوہ مشرقی پاکستان کے فوجی کمانڈرلیفٹینٹ جنرل امیر عبداللہ خان نیازی سمیت اہم فوجی افسران سے گفتگو بھی کی گئی۔ یہ پروگرام 22 دسمبر 1971 کو بی بی سی پر نشر گیا تھا۔
تین دسمبر کو مشرقی پاکستان میں بھارتی فوج کی پیش قدمی سے لے کر 16 دسمبر کو پاکستانی فوج کے ہتھیار ڈالنے تک ڈھاکہ میں موجود بی بی سی کے نمائندے نے کیا دیکھا؟ دیکھیے اس ڈاکیومنٹری می۔۔

The BBC's Alan Hart has been in Dhaka since the beginning of the war and made a nearly 40-minute film called 'The Birth of Bangladesh' for the BBC's flagship program Panorama. Apart from moment-to-moment reporting, talks were also held with key military officers including East Pakistan's military commander Lieutenant General Amir Abdullah Khan Niazi.
The program aired on the BBC on December 22, 1971.
What did the BBC correspondent in Dhaka see from the advance of the Indian Army in East Pakistan on 3 December to the surrender of the Pakistani Army on 16 December? Watch this documentary.

Important aspects from the Documentary:
  1. Fierce air raids on Dacca Airport and air battle.
  2. Also, continuous ground attacks by Su-7s during the first few minutes of the video, in which one was shot down by AAA.
  3. Featuring one of our Sabre fully armed with 2xSidewinders.
  4. IAF Mig-21s, Gants along with Hunters flying around Dacca.
  5. IAF destroyed a orphanage in a night raid killing more than 200-400 people most of them children and falsely putting the blame on PAF by means of propaganda by their thugs Mukti Bahini, which eventually got busted by the reporter.
  6. BBC as usual mocking the Pakistan and Pakistani Army.
  7. General Niazi and others still keen to fight to the last, fully aware of the sitaution they were in.
  8. 31:00 Indian General acknowleding how Pakistani Army bravley fought to the end (a slap on BBC's correspondant) and still willing to carry on the fight even though heavily outnumbered, ran out of supplies and ammunitions as well as surrounded from all sides.
Salute to all martyrs and ghazis of Pakistan who defended their homeland and paid the price of the blunders done by our leaders and politicians alike. Some of them still paying it for supporting their motherland in refuge camps in Bangladesh.
May ALLAH SWT provide them all specially civilians who lost their lives from both sides with the highest reward in Jannah.
Pakistan Zindabad.

Last edited:
There was nothing to defend, in East Pakistan; but General Yahya, and all other concerned, could not gather the courage to prevent an unnecessary war.

There was nothing to defend, in East Pakistan; but General Yahya, and all other concerned, could not gather the courage to prevent an unnecessary war.

Pak establishment had decided long before 1971 to grant independence to east bengal, but the way it happened was very very painful and an indelible mark on our history.

The attrocities committed were uncalled for. It really troubled me to hear 200,000 girls and women were raped by Pak soldiers and their proxies. This is really really shameful.

Listening to the survivors was heart breaking. I saw what these Sudanese militia did in Darfur - just terrible. Nothing should justify it.

'We lay like corpses': Bangladesh's 1970s rape camp survivors speak out | Sexual violence | The Guardian

Really it was upsetting to see what tragedy this was for these young women and girls who were shunned by their own country.

The attrocities committed were uncalled for. It really troubled me to hear 200,000 girls and women were raped by Pak soldiers and their proxies. This is really really shameful.

Listening to the survivors was heart breaking. I saw what these Sudanese militia did in Darfur - just terrible. Nothing should justify it.

'We lay like corpses': Bangladesh's 1970s rape camp survivors speak out | Sexual violence | The Guardian

Really it was upsetting to see what tragedy this was for these young women and girls who were shunned by their own country.

Well, those are highly exaggerated figures, I am not saying it didn't happen but to say it in millions is ridiculous and way beyond the actual figures. Atrocities were done to our people too including rape of women and girls but it wasn't recorded as we lost the war and the narrative of victors prevailed.

Do enlighten yourself with the book "Dead Reckoning" by Indian author Sharmila Bose about the massacre and attrocities done to Pakistanis in 1971 war which is overshadowed by the narrative of nationalistic mythology.

Last edited:
Well, those are highly exaggerated figures, I am not saying it didn't happen but to say it in millions is ridiculous and way beyond the actual figures. Atrocities were done to our people too including rape of women and girls but it wasn't recorded as we lost the war and the narrative of victors prevailed.

Do enlighten yourself with the book "Dead Reckoning" by Indian author Sharmila Bose about the massacre and attrocities done to Pakistanis in 1971 war which is overshadowed by the narrative of nationalistic mythology.

Yes. Everything was multiplied by a factor ranging from 10 to 100.

Still it did happen; that is in itself a huge shame. To target girls and women... that was not called for.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom