What's new

Dockyard and Engineering Works, launches a new class of coastal patrol craft "Shobuj Bangla".

The real boat doesn't match the Art work or is it just me??

BTW Congrats

This is not completed yet. The superstructure needs instrumentation+weapons fit and of course needs paint. They just floated it. Full scale commissioning is a few months away.

The design is almost identical to the USCG Sentinel class (which is in turn based on the Dutch 'Damen Stan 4708 patrol vessel' design). Notable omissions are water-jets and some electronics in the Bangladesh example (as well as different forecastle design), but ours are meant to intercept a different class of threat. Ours are by the way one third of the cost. There is no Indian-made analog yet.

page1-1024px-USCG_Sentinel_class_cutter_poster.pdf.jpg

This is not completed yet. The superstructure needs instrumentation+weapons fit and of course needs paint. They just floated it. Full scale commissioning is a few months away.

The design is almost identical to the USCG Sentinel class. Notable omissions are water-jets and some electronics in the Bangladesh example (as well as different forecastle design), but ours are meant to intercept a different class of threat. Ours are by the way one third of the cost. There is no Indian-made analog...

page1-1024px-USCG_Sentinel_class_cutter_poster.pdf.jpg
It's the same boat in both CG & pictur? o_O
But the stern area seems bit different to me. :unsure:

And it somewhat looks more close to this one!

Not same as the CGI. Seems like based on Ruposhi Bangla class with increased stern.

rbangla.jpg

It's the same boat in both CG & pictur? o_O
But the stern area seems bit different to me. :unsure:

And it somewhat looks more close to this one!

Well the Ruposhi Bangla class is based on the PZ patrol boat design for Malaysian Maritime Police (MARITIM MALAYSIA) that Hong Leung/Lurssen came up with. Slightly modified for Bangladesh situation. The hull is completely different (older planform) from the new 'Shobuj Bangla' and the PZ boat is much slower.

KM_gagah.jpg

The new 'Shobuj Bangla' class is built to China Classification Society standards after a scaled down Damen Stan 4708 design and hull is completely different from Ruposhi Bangla class.

I had made some posts earlier on this replete with the hull during build.

Ruposhi Bangla class hull:
19a01.JPG

Shobuj Bangla hull during build
photo

Damen Stan 4708 design has been adopted worldwide by many Large and small Coast Guard forces and there are small amounts of scaling up and down due to requirements and sea state etc.

Shobuj Bangla Class specs:
Length: 43.4 metres
Beam: 6.4 metres
Speed: 25 kn
Complement: 16-24

Damen Stan 4708 class specs:
Length: 46.8 metres (154 ft)
Beam: 8.11 metres (26.6 ft)
Speed: 23.8 kn (44.08 km/h)

Last edited:
The design is almost identical to the USCG Sentinel class (which is in turn based on the Dutch 'Damen Stan 4708 patrol vessel' design). Notable omissions are water-jets and some electronics in the Bangladesh example (as well as different forecastle design), but ours are meant to intercept a different class of threat. Ours are by the way one third of the cost. There is no Indian-made analog yet.

It's called the Aadesh class.

Congratulations to Bangladesh for building this ship with indigenous knowhow.
Next step should be bigger and better ship like a small frigate or missile boat.
But anything larger will require equally large amount of funds which will be difficult for country like Bangladesh.

Well the Ruposhi Bangla class is based on the PZ patrol boat design for Malaysian Maritime Police (MARITIM MALAYSIA) that Hong Leung/Lurssen came up with. Slightly modified for Bangladesh situation. The hull is completely different and the PZ boat is much slower.

KM_gagah.jpg

The new 'Shobuj Bangla' class is built to China Classification Society standards after a scaled down Damen Stan 4708 design and hull is completely different from Ruposhi Bangla class.

I had made some posts earlier on this replete with the hull during build.

Ruposhi Bangla class hull:
19a01.JPG

Shobuj Bangla hull

Damen Stan 4708 design has been adopted worldwide by many Large and small Coast Guard forces and there are small amounts of scaling up and down due to requirements and sea state etc.

Shobuj Bangla Class specs:
Length: 43.4 metres
Beam: 6.4 metres
Speed: 25 kn

Damen Stan 4708 class specs:
Length: 46.8 metres (154 ft)
Beam: 8.11 metres (26.6 ft)
Speed: 23.8 kn (44.08 km/h)
Hmm, I see.

Why the couldn't just release the pictures after the finish the paint jobs,why confuse this poor me!!! :mad:
ড্যাম ইউ ডিফেন্স মিনিস্টার পাকঘর! :p:

Some examples of Damen Stan 4707 design vessels worldwide:

HMS Valiant, HM Customs
HMRC_Valiant_BB.jpg

Dutch Caribbean Coast Guard cutter Jaguar, a Damen Stan 4100 patrol vessel
1280px-Stan_Patrol_P810_Jaguar_Dutch_Caribbean_Coastguard.jpg

CCGS Private Robertson V.C. of the Canadian Coast Guard
1024px-CCGS_Private_Robertson_V.C.jpg

@Khan saheb - here are the pages where I have made references to these and other naval vessel builds.

https://defence.pk/threads/dew-starts-manufacture-of-fast-patrol-boat.374423/#post-7148254

https://defence.pk/threads/recent-marine-vessel-builds-in-bangladesh.460362/#post-8897762

Next step should be bigger and better ship like a small frigate or missile boat.
But anything larger will require equally large amount of funds which will be difficult for country like Bangladesh.

Small Frigate (C13B which is a 056 class variant) build is already in the cards. Every Navy/CG level below this level (under 1200 tons) has been built locally since the sixties and were always of a similar modern design compared to more prosperous countries like Malaysia or Singapore. Just because we built them small (our requirements) did not mean they were any less modern.

Funding is no longer an issue when it comes to defence matters.

Last edited:

Thanks my friend.

But anything larger will require equally large amount of funds which will be difficult for country like Bangladesh
Necessary funds has already been allocated to start indigenous building of corvettes & frigates, don't worry. :-)
With steady economic growth it's not an issue for BD anymore. :-)

297 tons will be very small boat sir pics you posted will be more then that . 297 tons is nothing

297 tons will be very small boat sir pics you posted will be more then that . 297 tons is nothing
It's ~350 tons, I think.Much like the Sentinel Class.

Shobuj Bangla hull during build
photo

They robbed the design of it's beauty! sad! :(

On another observation, I think DEW is too small & congested for today's standard. :frown: I hope they carry out the proposed upgrade of DEW soon.:)
And another good news, a new yard in Naryanganj is proposed & passed,I hope work will commence soon. :toast_sign:

Thanks brother. Very nice to visit old threads & recollect the infos. :-)

It's called the Aadesh class.

Aadesh class design is not the same as the Damen Stan designs. The Damen Stan designs (hulls) are dynamically balanced and hydrologically designed to withstand and operate at higher sea states (wave height) and to minimize/dampen yaw and pitch at those states.

The forecastle and wheelhouse of the Aadesh class is also higher than the Damen Stan boats.

Here is an Aadesh class hull,

fpv-4.png
Cochin+Shipyard+Ltd-Designed+Fast+Patrol+Vessel-1.jpg

Here is a similarly sized Damen Stan hull,

AIP-SPa-4207-mexico_g.jpg
damen-stan-patrol-4207-photo-21080.jpg
25691-8697152.jpg

I think the difference is readily apparent for hull shape and efficiency, they both are built for two different applications. Speed is not going to be the forte of the Aadesh class, even though it apparently has 3 props and 3 KA-ME-WA Water jets?

Its a fast patrol boat for Inshore use by Coast Guard. Does not need to be huge.

Back
Top Bottom