What's new

Diwali hopes dashed as poor Hindus denied financial help

EurofighterIN

BANNED

New Recruit

Reaction score
Karachi

As the Hindu community across the globe is all set to celebrate the Festival of Lights, Diwali, which falls today, in Karachi, thousands of families would be spending the occasion in gloominess and darkness as promises to release funds for the poor and disabled were not fulfilled by the Minorities Affairs Department.

On Tuesday, a day before Diwali, the offices of the Minorities Affairs Department at the Sindh Secretariat were thronged by a large sea of people, including widows and disabled people, who had come to receive cheques of Rs2,500 each as promised by the government for the religious occasion. But, to their great disappointment, they found officials absent and the offices locked.

Under the scorching sun, Rajesh, who works as a supervisor at a bank, had been waiting with his wife and their two-month-old baby since 10am. “Tomorrow is Diwali and we have no money. Our festival is ruined.”

All around the premises, men and women expressed their anger and kept on asking, “Why did they assure us they would give us money when they couldn’t fulfil their promises?” A young boy, Kumar, piped in, “Why are they fooling us? How long will we keep on waiting?”

Many of them had been coming to the office of the director of the minorities affairs for the last three days, hoping that they would receive funds which were to be handed out for the poor and the disabled. They had filled out a five-rupee application form and attached copies of their NICs. Others who could not read or write had paid people around Rs50 to Rs100 for filling out the form on their behalf. But none of their efforts seemed to move the high-ups.

Hindu women in their colorful saris occupied the footpath near the Sindh Secretariat III, and kept on flashing their identification cards. “At this time, we would be cleaning our house and cooking. But we are wasting our time here waiting.”

The people had come from all over Karachi, some even from Hyderabad. A woman, Chanda, had come from Khokhrapar. “People had spent up to Rs200 to Rs300 for coming here.”

Kishore had been coming there for four days all the way from Keamari. “I spend several hours every day in the hope of getting money. They should tell us at least if they are giving money or not. Some people, I think about 50, have received it.”

Even disabled people were ignored. From Ranchore Line, a woman who could not walk appealed for help. Another from Chanesar Goth, moved her daughter on a wheel chair as she suffered from polio, while her husband limped on.

The people claimed that the police had used batons to dispel the crowd but they were unwilling to move. Meanwhile, a sanitary worker, who has been working at the secretariat for the last 30 years, was not given the cheque, saying that the staff was not entertained. “God knows who these cheques are going to.”

Later, hordes of people walked with Chairman Sikh Naujwan Sabha Pakistan Sardar Ramesh Singh and former MNA Michael Javed to the Karachi Press Club, where they protested against the injustice and chanted slogans against the minister.

While talking to The News, Singh demanded that the minorities’ minister should be removed as, during the last three years, not a single penny was spent on helping the poor or on the development of the houses of worship. Meanwhile, Javed said that it was sad that the people were fooled into buying photocopied forms which were not being accepted.

The guards posted at the premises said that it was three days ago that Minister for Minorities Affairs Mohan Lal was last seen. The News tried to contact him but he was not accessible on the phone.

Meanwhile, Danish Saeed, the director of minorities affairs, outside whose office the crowd had gathered, said he was at his “other” office in Numaish, writing cheques for the people. “Our target was 5,000 people but we have received thousands of forms. We are doing best to issue cheques,” he said.

On the other hand, MPA Pitamber Sewani said that the delay in issuing cheques was due to the death of the Begum Nusrat Bhutto as the entire leadership had gone to Naudero to attend her funeral.

Diwali hopes dashed as poor Hindus denied financial help

So much for minorities having equal rights in Jinnah's Pakistan

because young man thats where generally Hindus are from
We have real issues with Karachi. Hope we get them resolved. Happy Diwali to those in Pakistan and everywhere.

This article is about Pakistani Hindus not about India I hope you understand the diffrence, I know talking about minority rights is a touchy subject in the land of the pure but we can have a serious debate without trolling or going off-topic like windjammer it would be great!

This article is about Pakistani Hindus not about India I hope you understand the diffrence, I know talking about minority rights is a touchy subject in the land of the pure but we can have a serious debate without trolling or going off-topic like windjammer it would be great!

Yes that indeed is true. We need to be incredibly secular. We will learn in time. I will call Modi and ask him on this subject.
Happy Diwali to all my Pakistani Hindu brothers

Lets go to history,the muslims of afganistan and middle asia ruled india,and they are still proud and are on that way but they are unknown to modern world thats why their blood still wants that but time has change but they don,t and negligence and insult to humanity and proverty is still alive with them...Troll is the indirect phase of jealous...

Yes that indeed is true. We need to be incredibly secular. We will learn in time. I will call Modi and ask him on this subject.
Happy Diwali to all my Pakistani Hindu brothers

Again going off topic kid and bringing up Modi :disagree: can you not talk about the subject matter?

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:24 PM ----------

The people claimed that the police had used batons to dispel the crowd but they were unwilling to move.

Salute to the brave Pakistani Hindu community for standing up for their rights!

Subject is Hindus of Pakistan.....Pakistani nationals.....Pakistani issue.....stop milking it.

This is more likely the case of incompetence and corruption than equal rights. Even muslims face such kind of problems when they are supposed to get money or aid from the government.
O.k Bhaijaan i agree with your excuse for Financial assistance as corruption is the most common disease in South Asia .....but may i know what excuse do you have for this........

Minorities in Pakistan: No public holiday for Hindus for festivals

By Owais Jafri
Published: March 20, 2011

Hindu devotees pray during Holi celebrations at Swami Narayan temple in Saddar, Karachi on March 19. PHOTOS BY ATHAR KHAN/EXPRESS
MULTAN:
Hindus celebrated Holi, one of the community’s most significant religious festivals on Saturday. But while ceremonies were held across the country, the vast majority of Hindus did not take leave and went about their everyday chores.
While most employers are flexible about giving leave and government employees use off-days from their quotas, private companies cut salaries of those who avail the holiday.
“Minorities should have equal rights. Those working for the government should be given special leave,” says Shakuntala, whose husband works for a government office in Multan.

According to the Pakistan Hindu Council’s statistics for 2011, over seven million Hindus live in Pakistan. The figure is almost double that of Christians in the country who enjoy a public holiday on Christmas.
Ram, who is a senior member of the community from Rahim Yar Khan, said that it was regrettablethat minorities were living in fear. “Even though the constitution says so, religious minorities in the country do not enjoy the same rights as thoseenjoyed by the majority,” he said.

While heads of state also send out felicitation messages for Eid and Christmas, no such greetings are made for Hindu festivals..

For Eids, special monetary announcements are also made but for Hindu festivals, only the government of Punjab announced special financial relief. The provincial government has given Rs5,000 to each Hindu family living in southern Punjab, where over 150 Hindu families live. However, in Sindh, where many more Hindu households can be found, no such fiscal measure was announced.
Over 97 per cent of Pakistan’s Hindus live in Sindh and Punjab. “We have not received any stipend or other financial assistance even though this event is an important one for the community,” said Rajeev, a young labourer from Jacobabad.
While those with jobs are able to take days off, students, especially schoolchildren, almost always have to miss out on ceremonies to attend school.
“I wasn’t able to attend the ceremony because I had to attend class. I am very upset at missing out,” said Raas Damin, a student of grade 9 in Hyderabad.
Published in The Express Tribune, March 20 th , 2011.

Subject is Hindus of Pakistan.....Pakistani nationals.....Pakistani issue.....stop milking it.
I agree with you The subject is of Pakistani Hindu's..Pakistani nationals...Pakistani Issue...so their is no need for us in Poking our Nose in your Business....

But..But...But can i expect same kind of maturity from you when we will be talking about Muslims in India..including Muslims in Gujrat..because atlast they are Indian Muslims...Indian citizens....Indian Issue...

really, I have been seeing all day in GEO news on every top of the hour news that Hindus in Karachi are celebrating Diwali with firecrackers and all, and got so much irritated that why give this report every time on headline news???

And as windjammer already posted, there are news of the poverty ridden not being able to afford things on these occasions, so don't lose your sleep that this happens in Pakistan only, care about those who are near your home.

And BTW< muslims also suffer problems like these. Some people do not get to have a good eid. I still remember we used to go around after eid prayer and greet poor labours and all those people, and give them some money.

Back
Top Bottom