Divorce at marriage ceremony

Al-zakir

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United States
Divorce at marriage ceremony

Sat, Nov 12th, 2011 10:02 pm
Barguna, Nov 12 (bdnews24.com) – A bride has divorced the bridegroom for demanding dowry on the very day of marriage.

The bride, Farjana Yasmin, is the daughter of Khalilur Rahman of Kalipura village under Kukua union council of Amtali upazila of the district. She recently completed her Masters in Social Welfare from Dhaka's Eden College, securing first class.

The bridegroom, Shawkat Ali Khan alias Hiran, is headmaster of a government primary school at Kalapara upazila in Patuakhali district. He is the son of Shah Alam Khan of Madrasah Road area in Kalapara municipality.

Farjana told bdnews24.com that she was married to Shawkat on Friday morning.

"As they were about to leave our house along with me, his (Shawkat) aunt Tahmina Begum demanded a TV set, refrigerator, motorbike and some other things as dowry in presence of the guests," she said.

As Shawkat also supported his aunt's demand, Farjana divorced him then and there.

"He who demands dowry can never be my life partner. I'm divorcing him in your presence," she told the guests.

The relatives of the bridegroom tried to solve the row until 9:45pm, but Farjana stuck to her guns.

The relatives of the bridegroom left the ceremony humiliated.

Farjana told bdnews24.com, "In my student life, I was an anti-dowry activist and generated awareness against it among the people. But now I have myself become its victim."

"I think women should stand against dowry."

Contacted, Shawkat's mobile phone set was found switched off.

Tahmina is the headmistress of a government primary school of Kalapara Sadar upazila.

bdnews24.com/corr/mhp/jk/skb/ssr/2150h

---------- Post added at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 PM ----------

Now, this is what I call up holding the dignity. Marhaba to the girl. :tup:

Dowry is cure in our society which is not related to Islam an this very bad practice came from Hidu tradition . it is haram to take dowry rather giving mohranaa to bride is the rule of Islam .I am not sure can a bride give talak to bride groom but any ways its great move by the brave girl . every girl in our society need to resisted this practice .

Kudos , Dowry is a curse , prohibited by Islam too , i wish to see it eliminated completely.

Kudos , Dowry is a curse , prohibited by Islam too , i wish to see it eliminated completely.

Yes absolutely , i don't know what happens in Pakistan but in Bangladesh for dowry many weapon are mentally and physically abuses and even killed every year where it is prohibited in Islam .

Dowry is cure in our society which is not related to Islam an this very bad practice came from Hidu tradition . it is haram to take dowry rather giving mohranaa to bride is the rule of Islam .I am not sure can a bride give talak to bride groom but any ways its great move by the brave girl . every girl in our society need to resisted this practice .

So Islam has failed you despite hundreds of years of conversion?

its not prohibited, but its in worse form in our part of the world.

well done girl :tup:

What's disturbing about this news is that punk supposed to be head teacher. This scum needed to be beaten up. I hope other cowards will learn a lesson and other girls will follow this courageous women. She is something and I am personally proud of her.

So Islam has failed you despite hundreds of years of conversion?

According to Bill Warner (Phd in applied Physics,Maths)...a HUGE,HUGE critic of so called "Political Islam"...one reason Islam is so dangerous is that it NEVER fails ;-)

To the topic :

I love that girl <3 ...THAT is how girls SHOULD act ! Period.

Yes absolutely , i don't know what happens in Pakistan but in Bangladesh for dowry many weapon are mentally and physically abuses and even killed every year where it is prohibited in Islam .

bro, do you have weapon?? :blink:

Back
Top Bottom