What's new

Did this female flashmob in Lahore send the wrong message about empowerment?

Do you think this viral ad was effective ?

• Yes

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • No

Votes: 47 62.7%
  • It's confusing

Votes: 16 21.3%

• Total voters
Jab Banda testicles ko samjhta na ho to L ko hath hee kyun dalta ha? Wese yeh idiom Peshawari Hindko main ha lakin urdu main ya punjabi ya hindko main sunaon to bohat sarron ko gherat ka masla ho jaye ga .

@friendly_troll96

Maaf karna kaka kuch posts hee aisi theen k bolna para

ho gya tumhara mardana mode on...
:pissed::pissed::pissed::sniper:
-
pehli bar ye muhawra mn ne 1 classmate (from peshawar) se suna tha par us ne thora diff sunaya tha..."L pakarnay ka pta na ho aur bater (quail) le lena". :confused:

If they want to give a message of empowerment then excel in the field of science, medicine and technology rather than doing Mujra on streets. There are better and effective ways which for one is fighting for rights of women in less developed areas of Pakistan. Dance is not a source of empowerment but utter subjugation of a woman. Look at people oozing at them does this look like empowerment when people are not watching you with respect but lustful eyes?

The internet seems to think so. We ask the brand behind the viral video for their take on the issue.
57cfc88055ee6.jpg

Does dancing on the streets empower women? In Pakistan, some say yes, many beg to differ.

Of late, fashion brands have been trying to stand out amongst the herd by coming up with creative ideas to market their companies, and one such brand is Do Your Own Thing. For an out-of-the-box idea, DYOT hired two NCA students to choreograph a flashmob of five girls dancing to Beyoncé's Run The World (Girls) on the streets of Lahore.

The two-minute clip starts with a woman throwing her chaddar to the ground and breaking into a dance after being teased by a male passerby. Seconds later she is followed by four other girls who copy her dance routine.

Does dancing on the streets empower women? In Pakistan, some say yes, many beg to differ.

Of late, fashion brands have been trying to stand out amongst the herd by coming up with creative ideas to market their companies, and one such brand is Do Your Own Thing. For an out-of-the-box idea, DYOT hired two NCA students to choreograph a flashmob of five girls dancing to Beyoncé's Run The World (Girls) on the streets of Lahore.
The two-minute clip starts with a woman throwing her chaddar to the ground and breaking into a dance after being teased by a male passerby. Seconds later she is followed by four other girls who copy her dance routine.
Hours after being posted on Facebook, the video caught the attention of many on social media and instantly received flak for portraying #feminism and #empowerment in the wrong light.
57cfc09f7d42c.jpg

For most, the video failed to portray women's rights in a positive light.

57cfc24a03df1.jpg

Feminist collective Girls At Dhabas took issue with the video as well, but their post has since been removed from Facebook.However, one Facebook commentator highlighted that women face different struggles and should not be judged according to one scale or set of values.

57cfc529bb07b.jpg

But was the idea behind the flashmob to highlight empowerment and feminism? The co-manager of Do Your Own Thing (DYOT) steps in to explain his point of view.

"Our brand is about customization. Our customers can change our designs to suit them, which hasn't been done before in Pakistan," he tells Images.

He adds, "We are a small brand, we can't afford billboards so we wanted to make a viral video. We watched a lot of videos to get inspiration and [finally] reached out to to students from NCA, Saad and Ikram, to help us. Saad managed the choreography and Ikram was the DOP. We shot the film in Anarkali in Lahore, which is next to NCA."

Though many may associate DYOT's video with a recent campaign launched by a local clothing brand under hashtag #ReclaimPublicSpaces, the co-manager dismisses that relation entirely.

"We didn't do this to 'reclaim space,' and we don't claim to be making a stand for women's empowerment through this video. Our brand's perspective is that you should 'do your own thing,' and no one should bother anyone else for how they choose to express themselves," he says.

He admits they were anticipating a response, but not the one they received. He explains, "We expected some kind of reaction to the video, of course, but in hindsight I wish this many men hasn't seen it and commented on it. And then, very soon women started commented on it also, and many said 'this is not empowerment'."

"Well, we're not telling other girls to dance in the streets, but if these girls wanted to dance, why shouldn't we let them? After the video there has been a lot of judgment on the internet about what women 'should' and 'shouldn't' do - isn't that also negative? Why should women be told what they should and shouldn't do?" he questions.

"If I had to use a hashtag to answer to criticism to the video it would be #LetThemBe. If somebody wants to dance, let them," he says.

While it's true that the worth of the ad's final message is debatable, we wonder — does everyone criticising the ad saying that it encourages immoral behaviour or 'isn't ladylike' realise that they're applying to these women the same moral framework of 'achi larki/ buri larki' that allows patriarchal norms to flourish in Pakistan and police women's behavior?

Something to think about!

http://images.dawn.com/news/1176198

]

In USA they protest go go topless. So degrading to women.

upload_2016-9-8_18-40-18.png

So Quaid-e-Azam Mohammad Ali Jinnah who himself loved western suits, smoked cuban cigars, loved his cars and yearned for his home in Bombay which he decorated with item he bought from London, who wanted to allow the Muslims of India to have a state where they can live without a Hindu majority imposing themselves on them and be able to create a state where all human dignity is protected; is suddenly some Islamic revolutionary?
Moreover, the teachings of Islam have multiple schools of thought and interpretation; so are we to jail or execute all those we dont agree with per Quaid-e-Azam?

Islam has a core place in Pakistan and that is to safeguard the interests of subcontinent Muslims in being able to practice their religion in their PERSONAL lives as they wish. Preaching is not a sin but the Quran is CLEAR cut on directives that Tabligh is not for the uneducated and those without knowledge. Those without a thorough and clear understanding of the Quran via MULTIPLE tafaseer, a clear grip on Hadiath beyond google searching and CTRL-V, and a well read history of the Seerat of the Prophet from MULTIPLE accounts should not even be permitted for Tabligh. Rather they should be jailed if they try to do it.

FYI, speak to some Iranians about their Mullah's and their doings.
Iranians want a Turkey like state and we root for Mullah raj

Iranians want a Turkey like state and we root for Mullah raj
Muslims want rule of Quran and Sunnah and Quran and Sunnah doesn't allow this crap so better if Government starts implementing Quran and Sunnah other wise soon people will. Most of those who are busy talking crap against Mullahs basically use word Mullah to attack Islam. Their problem is with Islam not Mullahs.

Muslims want rule of Quran and Sunnah and Quran and Sunnah doesn't allow this crap so better if Government starts implementing Quran and Sunnah other wise soon people will. Most of those who are busy talking crap against Mullahs basically use word Mullah to attack Islam. Their problem is with Islam not Mullahs.
The restriction you think are necessary you should only implement them om yourself
Our influence ends where our nose ends
Wow zarvan miyam diloan ki batein janta hay

The restriction you think are necessary you should only plement them om yourself
Our influence ends where our nose ends
Wow zarvan miyam diloan ki batein janta hay
Sorry no Islam doesn't in Islam ALLAH and his RASOOL SAW have told Muslims over and over again to stop evil and also told it stop it by force. Also in time of Sahabas once Hazrat UMAR RA came on stage and asked people what if I stop following and implementing Quran and Sunnah what you would do ?? One man stood took out his sword signaled towards it and said we would do this !!!!. Hazrat UMAR RA appreciated that man and thanked ALLAH that if he ever goes astray his people will force him back to straight path

On the authority of Abu Sa’eed al-Khudree (ra) who said:

I heard the Messenger of Allah (saw) say, “Whoso- ever of you sees an evil, let him change it with his hand; and if he is not able to do so, then [let him change it] with his tongue; and if he is not able to do so, then with his heart — and that is the weakest of faith.”

[Muslim]

Sorry no Islam doesn't in Islam ALLAH and his RASOOL SAW have told Muslims over and over again to stop evil and also told it stop it by force. Also in time of Sahabas once Hazrat UMAR RA came on stage and asked people what if I stop following and implementing Quran and Sunnah what you would do ?? One man stood took out his sword signaled towards it and said we would do this !!!!. Hazrat UMAR RA appreciated that man and thanked ALLAH that if he ever goes astray his people will force him back to straight path
You dont like it dont watch it and dont do it
What others do without harming amyone and without breaking any rules is not anyone,s bussiness

You dont like it dont watch it and dont do it
What others do without harming amyone and without breaking any rules is not anyone,s bussiness
Sorry Islam doesn't work that way in Islam order is clear that is to stop evil at all costs. Those who see evil and doesn't stop it ALLAH and his RASOOL SAW have promised their wrath on those people. Well these girls are breaking laws and rules of Islam and stopping it is duty of every Muslim.

That is what they believe(by poor and distorted- almost scared) understanding of the Quran and associated texts. It is an understanding based on poor education and/or poor research and exposure.

Essentially, anyone who does not agree with them is liable for death or worse.
"Only the sith deal in absolutes." ... Works whether it is coming from the left or the right.

On point... i personally don't care what the women did on a judgemental level. I would never be one to caste the first stone... having said that.... The thing that is unforgivable in that video is just the bad dancing! ... come on that's just inexcusable! :)

Only the sith deal in absolutes. Works whether it is coming from the left or the right.

On point... i personally don't care what the women did on a judgemental level. I would never be one to caste the first stone... having said that.... The thing that is unforgivable in that video is just the bad dancing! ... come on that's just inexcusable! :)
My issue is the message and location

Sorry Islam doesn't work that way in Islam order is clear that is to stop evil at all costs. Those who see evil and doesn't stop it ALLAH and his RASOOL SAW have promised their wrath on those people. Well these girls are breaking laws and rules of Islam and stopping it is duty of every Muslim.
Until we have laws that you agree with what they are doing is perfectly legal(though silly)

My issue is the message and location

Until we have laws that you agree with what they are doing is perfectly legal(though silly)
Sorry Islam is above every law and by the even in constitution it's state responsibility to implement Islamic laws and stop those things which are not according to Islam that part is not told but that is part is their since 1973. So better Government start doing what constitution also tells it to do.

Some comments

People are hypocrite, self-centered and egocentric. Their narrow minds can buy dudh, patti and oil nachtay hue but this brand was too heavy to handle.
They are fan of jhalak dikhlaja and Nach baliye but this add was tagged as mujra.
Mun k fire itnay hain and halat worst then a rat.

This video wasn't vulgar in any way. My first reaction wasn't to slut shame the women in it. What's wrong with you people? Don't tell me you've never seen any Indian movies and dance videos because I know you do and enjoy those inappropriate songs with your entire family. Hypocrites! These ladies were wearing loose fully covered clothing and just expressing themselves. Call it feminism, freedom of expression or clever marketing, it's not hurting anyone and it isn't offensive. Get a life!

I myself didn't got the concept of the ad in first glance, but still it was nice to watch that ad, at first thought what rubbish is that a dance involved in a clothing ad, I was too dumb to understand the concept behind but in my heart I admired the efforts of them ladies, them were too brave and bold enough to do the stuff in the society we are living at, them ladies had got some serious balls, even bigger then mines, I can never be bold enough or gather the confidence to do something like that...and its extremely sad to know that their entire effort to make us happy by creating something unique goes total wasted, and life threats to them,thats insane ,may the Heavens protect all them ladies by the fate with which QB was met...btw the lead actress was fantastic, anybody knows her name or her other art work ??

@django @The Sandman @Moonlight @Spring Onion

Back
Top Bottom