What's new

Did the Potohar Plateau always produce more horses than combined Rajputana,Kathiawar,Mewar regions?

Do you suppose the Rajputs of my clan and the Rajputs in other regions were different?
I wonder why they would go with the names like Raja Srivan and such while other Rajputs would carry titles of Singh?
Maybe the difference between Chandravansh and Suryavansh?

I probably need to do more studies on this particular history. My knowledge is kinda generalized over the entire history of things and scattered all over the place.

This is highly highly generalized but might be some pointers

Suryavanshi ------------>They will be able to trace their lineages back to original Aryan settler or the Kshatriya clans amonf them

Chandravanshi---------->part originating from Ancient Aryans and part from Scythians,Pahlavis

Agnivanshi--------------->most definitely originating from hepthalites and other Central Asians from the timespan between Mauryans and guptas

Nagavanshi-------------->originating from Gonds,Bhils and other more AASI heavy people from central India and upper deccan

I am pretty sure some potohari clans would most definitely be considered Rajputs from the Gurjara pratihara era till the ascendancy of the Turks...The region did change hands a couple of times between Hindu Shahis and gurjara pratiharas, but it was firmly established as Shahi base during the turkic expansion

I am staking my claim they were Rajputs based on surnames such as Bhatti and a fierce honour based culture identical to Rajputs

Turks and central asians consciously disappear to fight another day when the going gets tough...but it seems that every battle for the warrior clans of the subcontinent is a potential last stand..........This was also seen among the Mongols as they gradually lost touch with their homeland, and generation after generation of mongols were born outside of the steppes

Last edited:
Rawalpindi is the biggest city in Pothohar. Pothohari language starts from Sohawa to northwards. Language spoken in Jhelum, is somewhat in between Pothohari and Central Punjabi, but it is termed as Punjabi.
Then islambad is real beauty in potwar.. i said gujar khan is largest in putwar.. area of gujar khan is lager then pindi.. yeha pindi has more population.. teh gujar khan has lot more land area

It physically starts where Jhelum ends.

Gujar Khan is surely potohar, its hardly an hours drive from Pindi.
It is my home town and 35 minutes drive from pindi

This is highly highly generalized but might be some pointers

Suryavanshi ------------>They will be able to trace their lineages back to original Aryan settler or the Kshatriya clans amonf them

Chandravanshi---------->part originating from Ancient Aryans and part from Scythians,Pahlavis

Agnivanshi--------------->most definitely originating from hepthalites and other Central Asians from the timespan between Mauryans and guptas

Nagavanshi-------------->originating from Gonds,Bhils and other more AASI heavy people from central India and upper deccan

I am pretty sure some potohari clans would most definitely be considered Rajputs from the Gurjara pratihara era till the ascendancy of the Turks...The region did change hands a couple of times between Hindu Shahis and gurjara pratiharas, but it was firmly established as Shahi base during the turkic expansion

I am staking my claim they were Rajputs based on surnames such as Bhatti and a fierce honour based culture identical to Rajputs

Turks and central asians consciously disappear to fight another day when the going gets tough...but it seems that every battle for the warrior clans of the subcontinent is a potential last stand..........This was also seen among the Mongols as they gradually lost touch with their homeland, and generation after generation of mongols were born outside of the steppes
Janjuas, Chibs, Minhas etc are potohari Rajputs.

If you understand Turkish. You will know urdu has more turkish words then arabic.. turkish influence was more then arabs and Persians...it show muslims occupiers had more Turkish soldiers . My feelings you may differ

Wrong!! Urdu has more Persian words and then Turkish. Although Turkish conquered India but we already had Persian influence and Turkish adapted to it, true not much Arabic.

@Juggernaut_is_here
Hey jaggu why don't you ditch those 90+% adivaasis and join your blood brethren on this side of the world?

Then islambad is real beauty in potwar.. i said gujar khan is largest in putwar.. area of gujar khan is lager then pindi.. yeha pindi has more population.. teh gujar khan has lot more land area

It is my home town and 35 minutes drive from pindi

You guys oughta have your own province

@Juggernaut_is_here
Hey jaggu why don't you ditch those 90+% adivaasis and join your blood brethren on this side of the world?

You guys oughta have your own province

Lolz 50 percent of my ancestors are Khatris..and Khatris are on the eastern side of the border only...

If by adivaasi blood you mean AASI (Ancient Ancestral South Indian) blood then everybody in the subcontinent has it in small or big doses...it's just some fail the look test and some don't...

I am more of an amateur ethnographer of the subcontinent, uncovering lost loves and forgotten glories

Last edited:
It is a historical fact that Indian horses were far inferior to the Horses from across the Khyber pass. The horse trade from Khorasan (modern-day Afghanistan) into India goes back a very long way. Not long ago I came across a book:

“The trade in horses between Khoraann & India in the 13th to 17th Centuries.

https://www.academia.edu/27751573/T...KHORASAN_AND_INDIA_IN_THE_13TH_17TH_CENTURIES

Since Potahar region is the route through which most of the trade between India and Central Asia would have to pass; I have no doubt that the majority of the population of the Potiphar region had horses. However, my region (Sargodha area) was also considered suitable for horse breeding after the area opened up after the Upper Jhelum canal became operational in 1901. 40 acres of arable land was allotted by the British Indian govt’ for keeping one horse breeding mare for the army. This Scheme was commonly known as ‘Miurabbay dar Ghori and understand it continued as late as 1940.

To date, Mona Depot Sargodha is famous for beading horses & mules for the Pakistan Army.

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/mona-remount-depot-the-horsemen-paradise.402022/

Last edited:
It is a historical fact that Indian horses were far inferior to the Horses from Across the Khyber pass. The horse trade from Khorasan (modern-day Afghanistan) into India goes back a very long way. Not long ago I came across a book:

“The trade in horses between Khoraann & India in the 13th to 17th Centuries.

https://www.academia.edu/27751573/T...KHORASAN_AND_INDIA_IN_THE_13TH_17TH_CENTURIES

Since Potahar region is the route through which most of the trade between India and Central Asia would have to pass; I have no doubt that the majority of the population of the Potiphar region had horses. However, my region (Sargodha area) was also considered suitable for horse breeding after the area opened up after the Upper Jhelum canal became operational in 1901. 40 acres of arable land was allotted by the British Indian govt’ for keeping one horse breeding mare for the army. This Scheme was commonly known as ‘Miurabbay dar Ghori and understand it continued as late as 1940.

To date, Mona Depot Sargodha is famous for beading horses & mules for the Pakistan Army.

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/mona-remount-depot-the-horsemen-paradise.402022/

Thanks a ton...and this other paper completes the picture ...Horse is the key to undersand the subcontinent post-Maurya till the advent of the British ...even gunpowder may not be that pivotal

Equestrian Demand and Dealers: The Early Indian Scenario ( up to c. 1300)

Array Bhai: Kyun ghorhon kay peechay parh gaye ho?:lol:

Ahwamedh Yajna karna hain isliye... Dhoondh raha hoon..Kaunsa breed sabsay zyaada auspicious rahega :D

Ashvamedha

On a serious note:This is my final chapter regarding my quest for insight vis-a-vis Indian history

It's my way of dealing with the collective PTSD as to why North India lost to the Turkic,Turco-Mongol invasion till mid 1700s

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom