What's new

Did the Potohar Plateau always produce more horses than combined Rajputana,Kathiawar,Mewar regions?

Rajput Turk rivalry? Id like to know more bout that.

Do you mean Khiljis invasions? In that case id say he was more Pashtun than Turk and so were his troops۔

Rajputs never were really reconciled till Akbar...so they were at war with almost everybody who sat at delhi...even in Sindh Soomra Rajpouts were deposed by Mongolic/Turkic Arghuns...I mean the exploits of the Rajputs are way more famous in india than those of Marathas,Vijaynagara Nayaks etc, even though the Rajputs never reigned over that much landmass

Rajputs never were really reconciled till Akbar...so they were at war with almost everybody who sat at delhi...even in Sindh Soomra Rajpouts were deposed by Mongolic/Turkic Arghuns...I mean the exploits of the Rajputs are way more famous in india than those of Marathas,Vijaynagara Nayaks etc, even though the Rajputs never reigned over that much landmass
I live in Sindh & trust me the Sindhi “Rajputs” like Sama,Sahito or Soomro etc dont even call themselves “Rajput”, it is only in books that we find that they are Rajputs.

Potohar does not start nor end at the Salt range. The Salt range and adjoining areas infact contain people who are more Punjabi than Potohari, and cannot be compared to the rest of the Potohar.

I think that excluding the hilly areas, all the mildly undulating and broken lands, lying between River Jhelum and River Indus, are Pothohar. This includes districts of Jhelum, Chakwal, Rawalpindi, Islamabad and possibly Attock.

I live in Sindh & trust me the Sindhi “Rajputs” like Sama,Sahito or Soomro etc dont even call themselves “Rajput”, it is only in books that we find that they are Rajputs.

I would defer to you on that..but why would they be considered Rajputs in textbooks then? may be they were considered Rajputs in those periods?

I think that excluding the hilly areas, all the mildly undulating and broken lands, lying between River Jhelum and River Indus, are Pothohar. This includes districts of Jhelum, Chakwal, Rawalpindi, Islamabad and possibly Attock.
Can we say that Potohar starts where potohari is spoken?

P.S: I was born in Kharian. Wonder if Kharian also comes under Potohar?

@Rafi village was part of Porus’s army. Infact I believe they built a monument for them.

Idk some one told me King Porus was some how related to Potohar. Not sure though.

What I hear though is, the region used to be completely populated like a giant metropolis back in the days. If a goat were to climb the roof of a house, it would come down 20 km's away.

Then either the Earthquake or whatever happened and the whole plain became a mess. I have seen places where bones from burried bodies of the old are coming out of the sides of cliffs. I should probably get some images of the region the next time I'm there.
The area I come from is Kinda cool though. Not much populated any more, and lots of streams and jungles. Most of it is owned by my family or say came down from ancestors. My family used to own a 1947 Willys jeep rebuilt and modified to look pretty cool when I was a teenager. Going hunting almost every other midnight was a daily routine in the winter.

What I heard was there were two brothers (my ancestors) who came to this area and marked it and divided between themselves while riding on their horses (came from sialkot I suppose, or wherever they were living after having left Sialkot).
Then there was another ancestor who used to live on his own in a giant havely kinda thingy and he got married to a woman who brought working couples for every task (Rajput women were given a couple for every kind of task like Tailors, In house workers, Horse Tammers and so on) and they settled outside their haveli with their doors opening into it so to be present when called. And that created the whole village where I was born, and later moved in my early childhood.

The Potohari we speak in my particular area is also slightly different than the Potohari you will hear elsewhere.

Yeh the plateu used to be a plain and then got torn a part with an earth quake or whatever. There are some horrific stories in the folklore of the devastation.

I would defer to you on that..but why would they be considered Rajputs in textbooks then? may be they were considered Rajputs in those periods?
I dont know, my colleague was a Soomro, I asked her if she was Rajput. Nope, we are Sindhi/Soomros.

Ive seen this with several others too.

In Sindh only Hindu “Rajputs”, claim to be Rajputs & even they arent native to Sindh but Rajhisthan.

The Ranas of Umarkot/Amarkot are also from Rajhisthan but migrated to sindh.

Infact ive yet to meet a native Sindhi Rajput Hindu or Muslim.

I have another friend Ravi chawla, hes Sindhi but claims to be Rajput, though im not sure.

Can we say that Potohar starts where potohari is spoken?

Not necessarily. Language, spoken in Jhelum and major part of Chakwal is not called Pothohari.

P.S: I was born in Kharian. Wonder if Kharian also comes under Potohar?

No. Kharian lies in Chaj Doab, that is between Rivers Chenab and Jhelum. BTW, I was born and brought up in Jhelum.

Do you suppose the Rajputs of my clan and the Rajputs in other regions were different?
I wonder why they would go with the names like Raja Srivan and such while other Rajputs would carry titles of Singh?
Maybe the difference between Chandravansh and Suryavansh?

I probably need to do more studies on this particular history. My knowledge is kinda generalized over the entire history of things and scattered all over the place.

Horse breeds originating in Pakistan....Are there special native horse breeds still existing in the Potohar region?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Horse_breeds_originating_in_Pakistan
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baluchi_horse
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hirzai
The pure breeds are hard to find.

Only some breeders have them, most horses are just mixed.

There are a few international quality breeders and Army’s Mona Remount Depot. That can provide the real deal.

Are you talking about Phalia?
Not sure bro, thats why I tagged Rafi sb.

Potohar does not start nor end at the Salt range. The Salt range and adjoining areas infact contain people who are more Punjabi than Potohari, and cannot be compared to the rest of the Potohar.
Areas like Kallar Kahar and Chakwal.

P.S: Any one want to write something on King Porus.
They Keyword "Where was King Porus Born" has no search results in Google.
Write something with this as your title and you can rank on top right away.
Gujar khan is biggiest city in potohar...potohari is being spoken from azad kasmir to attok Jhalim..

Gujar khan is biggiest city in potohar...potohari is being spoken from azad kasmir to attok Jhalim..
Jhelumis speak Panjabi only settlers there speak Potohari, aswell as a large Kashmiri population that settled during 47 & after.

Rawalpindi is the biggest city in Pothohar. Pothohari language starts from Sohawa to northwards. Language spoken in Jhelum, is somewhat in between Pothohari and Central Punjabi, but it is termed as Punjabi.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom