What's new

Did the Potohar Plateau always produce more horses than combined Rajputana,Kathiawar,Mewar regions?

Found the article...Wow She agreed on the exact same conditions I myself predicted, too bad Marxist interpretation meant that she chose a different motivation for the stoppage of horse supply

http://www.columbia.edu/itc/mealac/pritchett/00islamlinks/txt_thapar_somnath.html

Highly highly highly indebted to you, thanks

I believe they are all mixed from three main sources .----->Aryans (as well as later Scythians and Central Asians), Western Asia Farmers, Ancestral South Indians

The Aryan component tend to be more or less same till Bihar among the upper castes...from around 28 percent in Pashtuns in Kabul to around 25 percent in Bhumihar Brahmins in Bihar

What really changes is the dosage of ASI component which becomes higher as you go into India, which suggests a higher population density of previously occuring ASI deep in the subcontinent

http://rpubs.com/anupampom/indusinter
http://rpubs.com/anupampom/steppeinter
http://rpubs.com/anupampom/aasi

The baove maps are data collated from the latest Reich harvard study for South Asian genetics

But even if there have been outside pulses, the culture of the subcontinent was developed in-situ

The Bharata Clan that sponsored the Rig Veda had it's home in Himachal and the home land of the various warring and allied Aryan tribes stretched from present Western UP to eastern rims of Afghanistan like Kabul...any place for east or west are regarded as known only to later Rig Vedic people (Rig veda being composed over around 600 years from 1700 BCE to 1100 BCE)...Even if the Aryans came from outside, by the time they composed the Vedas any memories of being outsider to the land was thoroughly lost...I am of the opinion Rig Veda and the extensive religious practices around it were developed a couple of hundred years after they entered Punjab and the Yamuna Sutlej stretch ....When they were entering the subcontinent, their religion may have been a bit simpler more akin to those of the Kalash than the complex Yajnas further east

This map by Schwartzberg gives the definitive rundown regarding the various Aryan tribes and homes of the Aryans during the composition of the Rig Veda

https://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/schwartzberg/fullscreen.html?object=050

Every place West of Kabul would have firmly been in the grip of zoroastrianism or pre-zoroastrian Iranian religion..They would also much more readily available ephedra dystica or haoma/soma....with the Vedics either procuring them from Kashmir or through trade from Ancient Iranians

Of course there were later Achaemenids, Indo-Greeks,Indo-Parthians,Indi-Scythians,Kushanas,Indo-Sassanids,Hepthalites coming into the region...but they never left any long lasting cultural legacy..except the Scythians transforming themselves into some Jatt clans and the hepthalites into some Rajput clans...It is these Rajput clans who would play a significant role in the military history of the the North west portion of the subcontinent well after the Turkic invasions...that the Gakhar tribe assasinated Ghori may have inspired the author of Prithvirajraso to pen a fictional account (self-admitted) of a blind Prithviraj finally killing Ghori

Certainly the Chauhans would have felt some kinship to the son-of-the-soil fellow Rajputs

The Aryan pulse into the subcontinent left the lasting legacy of the Vedas

The Turkic pulse into the subcontinent left the lasting legacy of Islam..(prior to that Islam was confined to Sindh and lower Punjab for about 480 years)

The Hindu Shahis had their core troops from that region------>They resisted the full blown wrath of the Turks for 150 years...were n't exactly Phattus...Had the same honour based culture as the Rajputana Rajputs to the East..Anandapala (actually Jayapala) jumped into the fire after losing the Battle of Peshawar to Ghazni. A Phattu would have become a vassal...History needs to be seen on its own term during each period...Even 200 years later the Gakhar clan was fiercely resisting the Turks, resulting in the assasination of the famed Ghori...as great as the region of potohar was, it was just too small to face the combined Turkic might of Central Asia...but still they immortalized themselves...It would take a much longer struggle to match Central Asian cavalry tactics which eventually happened
You're mixing kokhars and gakhars
A kokhar killed ghori

"Some sources attribute the assassination to Khokar Jats while others believe the Nizari Ismaili Assassins were behind it"

Whatever's the case, potohar has a brutal history

Last edited:
It seems to me that Potohar did produce more...Potohar was the famous staging area of the Hepthalites during the invasion of Gupta empire which lay right across on the Eastern Bank of Chenab

and This might finally explain the disintegration of the North Indian Kingdoms after the fall of the native Hindu Shahi kingdom(though with a 200 year interlude)

Also I am of the opinion that horsebreeding in Islamic World hit a higher gear after the First Crusade of the late 11th century..Islamic world may have only known lighter Turkish breeds at that point in history

Arrival of Big Heavyset Vikings(converted) in full armour would most certainly have necessitated heavier Horses........This might have spread over the Islamic world over the next 100 years

Remember converted Vikings like Rollo were so big that no contemporary horses could carry him..This might have been the problem of many Vikings..So they may have originated the breeding of super heavy war horses.

So eventhough Mahmud of Ghaznavi may have invaded India, he or his succesors never felt confident to conquer North India other than Western Punjab

Once Heavier cavalry became copious even in Afghanistan and Western Punjab, it was basically gameover for the North Indian polities...This is not different than when Babur gained decisive advantage over North Indian polities using Safavid gunpowder weapons

Horsebreeding like Greek Fire and gunpowder would have been considered legitimate state secrets, and eventhough the neighbouring Hindu Rajput states may not have been at war with the Ghaznavids,Ghurids during peacetime, they would certainly be seen as foes

Just ideas I am throwing around...I know the thread would eventually degenerate into an ugly sectarian battle as in every thread on PDF, but I would love to get some genuine historical infos and inputs regarding horse breeding capacity of the Potohar region before that
Could be a factor...but I don't think it would be Potohar region exclusively that would have made the difference. An advantage in horses might have more to do with the vast areas(spread over different geographical terrains) that Muslims ruled(various Muslim empires)...and therefore they already had access to various different breeds of horses.

I think it has more to do with internal politics than external factors like horses, or gunpowder(those did factor in from time to time and caused major shifts in warfare but these kinds of breakthrough advantages are rather rare). The internal factors that I'm referring to are the internal politics, competing factions vying for power. We look at it now as a Hindu empire Muslim empire...but during the time it was actually unfolding...it was more of how can some prince undermine his king brother by siding with the enemy so that he can have the throne(regardless of religion)...an example that comes to mind is how Nizam sided with the British against Tipu Sultan.

As for invasions such as those by Ghaznavi...
...there were many raids...that were intended as raids. Many a kings from different eras and different parts of the world have done this...
...it ensures a quick payout...often easier victory. There's a difference between merely invading a territory compared to invading, holding, and integrating that territory into ur empire. The latter requires far more time, energy, and resources.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom