What's new

Departure of skilled professionals

Who needs competent people when you have fa pass duffers in charge

Duffer said ‘mai $25bn laonga Saudi, UAE, Qatar, Kuwait se’

Brain drain is one of the main reasons why Pakistan never progresses.
People talk a lot about when will default or 'bankruptcy' occur. That is not the only issue. When sufficient number of skilled workers go away, there will be failures of large complex 'systems'. e.g. Power grid will fail more frequently, telecom services will deteriorate, airline services will degrade, healthcare system will collapse. These are easy to recognize symptoms than counting money. These then tend to reinforce each other as more skilled people leave.

A good example is healthcare. For example: Life expectancy of 66 years is better than only Myanmar (65.7) and Afghanistan (62) in South Asia.

Hey haven't you heard our PM, it is a good thing.

These people will bring remittances to us and be our asset abroad.

Yes, our PM actually said that.

The educated lot is going abroad while the businessmen are sending over their capital to dubai.

Today in business recorder:

The educated lot is going abroad while the businessmen are sending over their capital to dubai.

Most of my extended family have been sending their savings to UAE, initially to park their income in AED and then investments in properties and setting up family offices there.

Over time, they’ll be making move to shift their family.

And finally the connection to Pakistan will be completely severed.

Most of my extended family have been sending their savings to UAE, initially to park their income in AED and then investments in properties and setting up family offices there.

Over time, they’ll be making move to shift their family.

And finally the connection to Pakistan will be completely severed.

Story of almost every Pakistani khushhaal businessman.

Story of almost every Pakistani khushhaal businessman.
with over 2 decades of foreign citizenship, when India banned/made super-difficult for Pakistanis to visit India, I was always like eff em. who wants to renounce pk citizenship. Now its like hey, thats not a super bad idea. I may find some maternal ancestral graves there.
fnpa.

People talk a lot about when will default or 'bankruptcy' occur. That is not the only issue. When sufficient number of skilled workers go away, there will be failures of large complex 'systems'. e.g. Power grid will fail more frequently, telecom services will deteriorate, airline services will degrade, healthcare system will collapse. These are easy to recognize symptoms than counting money. These then tend to reinforce each other as more skilled people leave.

A good example is healthcare. For example: Life expectancy of 66 years is better than only Myanmar (65.7) and Afghanistan (62) in South Asia.
My issue is why do Pakistanis choose to leave instead of confronting their issues head on? Compared to India and Bangladesh, which do have high immigration but less compared to Pakistan when stacked against total population.

There is corruption & misgovernance in Bangladesh & India too, but people there solve their problems. There is high productivity & exports in Indian & Bangladesh, increasing number of startups, etc. Basically there is enough entrepreneurs to tackle the problem of unemployment.

The US does not have the greatest economy because the jobs & industry always existed, but because entrepreneurs struggled to create industries that led to its vibrant economy.

Even the Indians that do leave always find some way to benefit India- Google or Microsoft CEO directing investment to India, etc. Meanwhile, Pakistanis abroad wouldn't dare invest at home. I understand that recent military intervention has driven them away, but this was an issue even before this period.

They are docile and do not challenge problems or even themselves. Running abroad is an easy solution to everything, as is taking bribes & stealing to low wages. Everyone is willing to run abroad, including Corp Commanders, and that's why foreign policy is decided elsewhere.

I wonder, if immigration abroad was banned, might that help correct the brain drain problem? What if it resulted in a boom in startups? Increase in productivity, exports because people have no where to run?

Last edited:

I know 2 companies which opened a sister company in the UAE, and now all the profits etc. instead of coming to Pakistan are parked in the UAE and only salary for employees comes into Pakistan. This happened within the past few months.

I know 2 companies which opened a sister company in the UAE, and now all the profits etc. instead of coming to Pakistan are parked in the UAE and only salary for employees comes into Pakistan. This happened within the past few months.

Yeah, its the new trend among software guys but you cannot really blame them.

Happens all the time.

Who’d be dumb to park all the money in PKR.

My issue is why do Pakistanis choose to leave instead of confronting their issues head on? Compared to India and Bangladesh, which do have high immigration but less compared to Pakistan when stacked against total population.
if Pakistanis try that, they will be picked up, court martialed and their properties and business confiscated. Many tried, many failed.
There is corruption in India and Bangladesh yes, but the agriculture department there does not come in aid to that corruption.

There is corruption & misgovernance in Bangladesh & India too, but people there solve their problems. There is high productivity & exports in Indian & Bangladesh, increasing number of startups, etc. Basically there is enough entrepreneurs to tackle the problem of unemployment.

The US does not have the greatest economy because the jobs & industry always existed, but because entrepreneurs struggled to create industries that led to its vibrant economy.

Even the Indians that do leave always find some way to benefit India- Google or Microsoft CEO directing investment to India, etc. Meanwhile, Pakistanis abroad wouldn't dare invest at home. I understand that recent military intervention has driven them away, but this was an issue even before this period.

They are docile and do not challenge problems or even themselves. Running abroad is an easy solution to everything, as is taking bribes & stealing to low wages. Everyone is willing to run abroad, including Corp Commanders, and that's why foreign policy is decided elsewhere.

I wonder, if immigration abroad was banned, might that help correct the brain drain problem? What if it resulted in a boom in startups? Increase in productivity, exports because people have no where to run?
I think it is the deep penetration of the military into all layers of society. Since military always reminds one of force and violence, everybody will follow the dictum discretion is the better part of valor. Actual violence is also high, so it is not an empty threat.

if Pakistanis try that, they will be picked up, court martialed and their properties and business confiscated. Many tried, many failed.
There is corruption in India and Bangladesh yes, but the agriculture department there does not come in aid to that corruption.
I'm talking from pure economic point of view, not politics. The problem with Pakistanis is that they wait for a messiah to come solve all their problems instead of doing it themselves. Why wait for Imran Khan to solve joblessness? Why not try to acquire skills that people are willing to pay for instead of running abroad? There are plenty of low-hanging fruit skills that can be self-taught and used to earn a living?

Indians were already developing their skills & industries before Manmohan Singh or Modi came to turn things around.

Back
Top Bottom