What's new

Crucial Arjun Mk.2 User Trials From June 1

From all internal accounts, it actually is an outstanding machine, especially for the desert.

The best feature according to most sources is the kanchan armour and the tremendous power and accuracy of the main gun.
Now they are putting a new NERA armour package on top of kanchan for even more protection.

Frankly speaking,I'm not at all happy with the Arjun MkII if indeed the picture uploaded on BroadSword is really the final MkII.It is dissapointing to see that CVRDE designers steel don't understand the design aspect of a modern tank justlike their Chinese counter parts.
Can you be more specific on what design aspect you don't like?

i don't know about him,but i don't like suspension.its too costly.and no other tanks use hydro-pneumatic suspension(as far as i know).It requires a specifically trained mechanic, Hydro-pneumatic suspension systems can be expensive to repair or replace. Failure of the hydraulic system will cause braking power to decrease as the accumulator is the same and can result in a catastrophe. It will make the tank that much vulnerable. A fluid valve leaks, jams or malfunctions and you are a sitting duck.

Yeah,why not.
1.Lack of full length heavy ballistic skirt (only 1/3 length of hull side is protected by ballistic skirt).

2.The HUGE gun mantlet mask on frontal turret which is a big weak point and can be perforated with older FSAPDS rounds.

3.Lack of composite armor on turret side,making it very much vulnerable to flanking attacks (just like the German Panzer MkV Panther tanks).

4.Smaller turret mounted ammo storage which can store only 22 rounds.Instead they should have fitted the bigger ammo box like the M1 Abrams which can store 42 rounds.

5.Gunner's Main Sight still mounted in a window in the frontal turret which makes the armor thinner,also makes the sight very vulnerable.

6.Fuel reserve is also very close to engine compartment-very dangerous.

7.Continuous use of rifled gun on MkII.

There are some more minor flaws but for now it's enough.
I think that CVRDE guys should hire me as a design consultant.lol.

I like this...

The Arjun Mark II will have a total of 93 upgrades, including 13 major improvements. The major upgrades would be:

> Missile-firing capability against long-range targets.

> Panoramic sight with night vision to engage targets effectively at night.

> Containerization of the ammunition

> Enhanced main weapon penetration

> Additional ammunition types

> Explosive reactive armor

> An advanced air-defence gun to engage helicopters

> a mine plough

> an advanced land navigation system and a warning system which can fire smoke grenades to confuse laser guidance.

> enhanced Auxiliary power unit providing 8.5 KW (from 4.5 KW).

> an improved gun barrel.

> changes in the commander's panoramic sight with eye safe LRF, night vision capability including for driver,

> digital control harness.

> new final drive, track and sprocket.

As regards the Futuristic Main Battle Tank (FMBT), its development commenced in 2010 and would be inducted into the Indian Army from 2020 onwards. The FMBT will be a lighter tank of 50 tons.

FMBT

(Though off topic, but interesting info for those who want to know what the heck the FMBT is all about!)

> In-built stealth from the ground up, including paints/materials to provide limited invisibility in IR/visible spectrum and for scrambling and avoidance of detection.

> Identification Friend or Foe (IFF) system to obviate chances of own tanks firing at each other in battle.

> A whole new reliable and secure mobile communication system capable of data transmission, audio and video conference.

> Protection in the form of soft-kill systems with IR detectors, laser warning, radar warning and devices to instantaneously integrate these signals to control a countermeasure suite.

> Hybrid electric vehicle technology incorporating digital vehicle electronics (vetronics) to provide intra-vehicle and inter-vehicle communication capability that will greatly improve sit awareness and enhance operational effectiveness.

> A ‘Hyberbar’ engine that will be able to accelerate from zero to full power at 1,500 hp in 2.8 seconds, while a conventional diesel engine requires 8-12 seconds.

> Active suspension system with sensors, control units, and a hydraulic power source in combination, to automatically alter the suspension characteristics to more closely match the speed of the vehicle and the terrain profile, especially in Indian terrain conditions.

> Explosive Reactive Armour against main battlefield threats that include Anti Tank Guided Missile (ATGMs), unguided anti tank rockets and grenades; shaped charge High Explosive Anti Tank (HEAT) gun rounds; Kinetic Energy (KE) gun rounds; and top-attack weapons like intelligent sub-munitions, terminally guided artillery rounds, etc.

> Automatic Protection Systems (APS). The radar would determine threat levels adequately, and the self-defence rockets would not cause high levels of collateral damage, particularly to accompanying dismounted infantry.

> Extended-range missiles enabling the FMBT to engage targets beyond the direct fire zone. The high/medium-energy level vehicle-mounted laser is expected to be a lethality option against rockets, air vehicles, light ground vehicles, antennas of armoured vehicles and electro-optical sensors.

> Hard-kill system to provide full-spectrum defence against top attack weapons, ATGMs, guided missiles and gun-launched KE and HEAT rounds.

> Fire Control System (FCS): Ground sensors, non-line-of-sight launch system and the network capability to enhance soldiers’ understanding of their situation in dynamic battlefield conditions by promoting a common perspective of enemy and friendly locations on digital maps and provide timely actionable intelligence.

Well, that's a lot of hard boiled stuff for a tank!! Let's hope that the production/induction scheduled is maintained and not follow the history of its predecessor. But then with so much experience behind them, the time line of 2020 is very much possible!

Cheers!

From all internal accounts, it actually is an outstanding machine, especially for the desert.

Certainly seems to be. The only gripes earlier were weight, the gun and greater sophistication of the drive-train compared to existing tanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like this...

The Arjun Mark II will have a total of 93 upgrades, including 13 major improvements. The major upgrades would be:

> Missile-firing capability against long-range targets.

> Panoramic sight with night vision to engage targets effectively at night.

> Containerization of the ammunition

> Enhanced main weapon penetration

> Additional ammunition types

> Explosive reactive armor

> An advanced air-defence gun to engage helicopters

> a mine plough

> an advanced land navigation system and a warning system which can fire smoke grenades to confuse laser guidance.

> enhanced Auxiliary power unit providing 8.5 KW (from 4.5 KW).

> an improved gun barrel.

> changes in the commander's panoramic sight with eye safe LRF, night vision capability including for driver,

> digital control harness.

> new final drive, track and sprocket.

As regards the Futuristic Main Battle Tank (FMBT), its development commenced in 2010 and would be inducted into the Indian Army from 2020 onwards. The FMBT will be a lighter tank of 50 tons.

FMBT

(Though off topic, but interesting info for those who want to know what the heck the FMBT is all about!)

> In-built stealth from the ground up, including paints/materials to provide limited invisibility in IR/visible spectrum and for scrambling and avoidance of detection.

> Identification Friend or Foe (IFF) system to obviate chances of own tanks firing at each other in battle.

> A whole new reliable and secure mobile communication system capable of data transmission, audio and video conference.

> Protection in the form of soft-kill systems with IR detectors, laser warning, radar warning and devices to instantaneously integrate these signals to control a countermeasure suite.

> Hybrid electric vehicle technology incorporating digital vehicle electronics (vetronics) to provide intra-vehicle and inter-vehicle communication capability that will greatly improve sit awareness and enhance operational effectiveness.

> A ‘Hyberbar’ engine that will be able to accelerate from zero to full power at 1,500 hp in 2.8 seconds, while a conventional diesel engine requires 8-12 seconds.

> Active suspension system with sensors, control units, and a hydraulic power source in combination, to automatically alter the suspension characteristics to more closely match the speed of the vehicle and the terrain profile, especially in Indian terrain conditions.

> Explosive Reactive Armour against main battlefield threats that include Anti Tank Guided Missile (ATGMs), unguided anti tank rockets and grenades; shaped charge High Explosive Anti Tank (HEAT) gun rounds; Kinetic Energy (KE) gun rounds; and top-attack weapons like intelligent sub-munitions, terminally guided artillery rounds, etc.

> Automatic Protection Systems (APS). The radar would determine threat levels adequately, and the self-defence rockets would not cause high levels of collateral damage, particularly to accompanying dismounted infantry.

> Extended-range missiles enabling the FMBT to engage targets beyond the direct fire zone. The high/medium-energy level vehicle-mounted laser is expected to be a lethality option against rockets, air vehicles, light ground vehicles, antennas of armoured vehicles and electro-optical sensors.

> Hard-kill system to provide full-spectrum defence against top attack weapons, ATGMs, guided missiles and gun-launched KE and HEAT rounds.

> Fire Control System (FCS): Ground sensors, non-line-of-sight launch system and the network capability to enhance soldiers’ understanding of their situation in dynamic battlefield conditions by promoting a common perspective of enemy and friendly locations on digital maps and provide timely actionable intelligence.

Well, that's a lot of hard boiled stuff for a tank!! Let's hope that the production/induction scheduled is maintained and not follow the history of its predecessor. But then with so much experience behind them, the time line of 2020 is very much possible!

Cheers!

I was talking about external design like turret geometry,armor placement,main sight placement,safe manuevering angle which are the most critical aspect of a tank design.Unfortunately our 'tin can' T 90S scores higher in these aspects than our Arjun.

I was talking about external design like turret geometry,armor placement,main sight placement,safe manuevering angle which are the most critical aspect of a tank design.Unfortunately our 'tin can' T 90S scores higher in these aspects than our Arjun.
Yep! I agree that the turret geometry sucks. It could've been flattened out a bit more. But then you can't have the cake and eat it too, what?! :azn:

I don't think the turret geometry sucks,its very similar to that of the challenger or leopard 2.

There was never news of 124 tanks being inducted, last i heard was failed user trials.

Last time I heard you were a 10 year old kid, have you grown up after that? I think no. When did you heard user trails failed , in your dream?

i don't know about him,but i don't like suspension.its too costly.and no other tanks use hydro-pneumatic suspension(as far as i know).It requires a specifically trained mechanic, Hydro-pneumatic suspension systems can be expensive to repair or replace. Failure of the hydraulic system will cause braking power to decrease as the accumulator is the same and can result in a catastrophe. It will make the tank that much vulnerable. A fluid valve leaks, jams or malfunctions and you are a sitting duck.

Hydro-pneumatic suspension is the best. Most of the modern tank including Challenger 2, Leclerc, Type 10 perhaps Leopard 2 uses Hydro-pneumatic suspension.

Yeah,why not.
1.Lack of full length heavy ballistic skirt (only 1/3 length of hull side is protected by ballistic skirt).

2.The HUGE gun mantlet mask on frontal turret which is a big weak point and can be perforated with older FSAPDS rounds.

3.Lack of composite armor on turret side,making it very much vulnerable to flanking attacks (just like the German Panzer MkV Panther tanks).

4.Smaller turret mounted ammo storage which can store only 22 rounds.Instead they should have fitted the bigger ammo box like the M1 Abrams which can store 42 rounds.

5.Gunner's Main Sight still mounted in a window in the frontal turret which makes the armor thinner,also makes the sight very vulnerable.

6.Fuel reserve is also very close to engine compartment-very dangerous.

7.Continuous use of rifled gun on MkII.

There are some more minor flaws but for now it's enough.
I think that CVRDE guys should hire me as a design consultant.lol.

these flaws will may be corrected when they will upgrade MK2 to MK3(if Mk3 is developed)

but the thing i don't like about Arjun most is its rectangular turret with not sloped frontal Armour

Arjun should have better and sloped Armour/sloped ERA on frontal Armour like black eagle/Abrams

it will enhance protection( and looks too)

Back
Top Bottom