What's new

Crazy East Asian lady starts to hurl racist abuse and attack others.

If you can't understand Vietnamese, I will teach you.
There's nothing confusing about it, even pinyin try to use diacritics to show the difference in tone, and you have ridiculous crap like this:

Việt on its own actually means something, it means surpassing.

This is the same in Chinese as well.
You realize every Chinese character is different in that video. That why phonetic alphabets are a poor fit for tonal languages. Vietnamese is really ugly trying to make Latin work.

越 by itself means to go beyond or cross over something. To surpass is 超越, wishful thinking on your part but not what it means. 南 means south, so 越南 means beyond the south. So you now the meaning of your country’s name. And you knew which word I was referring to with 1 character even when you don’t speak the language. If you give me 1 singular Vietnamese word I would have no idea what you’re referring to.

I don't know the circumstances, but it's clear that the Han dynasty is based on the Han river.
Now why people call it the Han river, I will leave it to the chinese.
But on its own, Han never means "good/brave", otherwise word like 好漢 is double meaning, and word like 漢奸 is contradiction.
The word "汉奸" first appeared in the sixth part of the work <周易衍义> by Hu Zhen, a historian of the Yuan Dynasty.
"汉奸" in the book refers to the traitor Minister of the Han Dynasty.

Modern "汉奸" refers to the Chinese who betrayed China. This meaning originated from the period of Emperor Daoguang of the Qing Dynasty. The Qing emperor was a Man people, so they called us Han, not HuaXia.

Last edited:
I don't know the circumstances, but it's clear that the Han dynasty is based on the Han river.
Now why people call it the Han river, I will leave it to the chinese.
But on its own, Han never means "good/brave", otherwise word like 好漢 is double meaning, and word like 漢奸 is contradiction.
Yeah, now I know how poor your Chinese is. You do know words like 好好 exists right? You do understand how root words work right? Root words are modified with other words to create new meanings. The meaning can be the complete opposite depending on what the modifying words are.
I gave a closer description on what 漢 means - a man who is tougher and manlier. You choose to continue to misquote, that’s on you. 男 also mean man buts there’s different connotations with it. In English dude, guy, bloke, fellow, stud can all mean man, but there’s different connotations with each. If that’s not clear enough for you, I can’t help you.

You realize every Chinese character is different in that video. That why phonetic alphabets are a poor fit for tonal languages. Vietnamese is really ugly trying to make Latin work.

越 by itself means to go beyond or cross over something. To surpass is 超越, wishful thinking on your part but not what it means. 南 means south, so 越南 means beyond the south. So you now the meaning of your country’s name. And you knew which word I was referring to with 1 character even when you don’t speak the language. If you give me 1 singular Vietnamese word I would have no idea what you’re referring to.
Nah, it's like showing the limit of Mandarin for having only 4 tones, so it's hard to pronoun similar words, comparing to cantonese or vietnamese which have 6.
To go beyond is surpassing, 超 just amplifies the 越, it doesn't change the meaning.
And I know of the meaning and history behind my country name, genius. The origin of 越南 was actually 南越, which means Southern Yue (South of the 越 state during the Warring states, or actual southern 越 people).
During the period of tributary, Nguyen Emperor sent letter to Qing Emperor to rename our country as 南越, but Qing Emperor disagreed, that's why we settled it as 越南

Yeah, now I know how poor your Chinese is. You do know words like 好好 exists right? You do understand how root words work right? Root words are modified with other words to create new meanings. The meaning can be the complete opposite depending on what the modifying words are.
I gave a closer description on what 漢 means - a man who is tougher and manlier. You choose to continue to misquote, that’s on you. 男 also mean man buts there’s different connotations with it. In English dude, guy, bloke, fellow, stud can all mean man, but there’s different connotations with each. If that’s not clear enough for you, I can’t help you.
男 means a man as a sex/gender thing.
漢 means the Han person, a man (inside chinese society), Han dynasty or the Han river, nowhere it means "tough or manly man".
好 means good/brave.
好好 literally means two times good/brave, or very good, it doesn't double the meaning.

Come on, don't play games with me. The only thing I don't know is why the Han river is called the Han river.

The word "汉奸" first appeared in the sixth part of the work <周易衍义> by Hu Zhen, a historian of the Yuan Dynasty.
"汉奸" in the book refers to the traitor Minister of the Han Dynasty.

Modern "汉奸" refers to the Chinese who betrayed China. This meaning originated from the period of Emperor Daoguang of the Qing Dynasty. The Qing emperor was a Man people, so they called us Han, not HuaXia.
At that point, the 漢 in 漢奸 in means a Han person.
It doesn't mean "evil/cunning good/brave person", that's a contradiction.

Nah, it's like showing the limit of Mandarin for having only 4 tones, so it's hard to pronoun similar words, comparing to cantonese or vietnamese which have 6.
To go beyond is surpassing, 超 just amplifies the 越, it doesn't change the meaning.
And I know of the meaning and history behind my country name, genius. The origin of 越南 was actually 南越, which means Southern Yue (South of the 越 state during the Warring states, or actual southern 越 people).
During the period of tributary, Nguyen Emperor sent letter to Qing Emperor to rename our country as 南越, but Qing Emperor disagreed, that's why we settled it as 越南

男 means a man as a sex/gender thing.
漢 means the Han person, a man (inside chinese society), Han dynasty or the Han river, nowhere it means "tough or manly man".
好 means good/brave.
好好 literally means two times good/brave, or very good, it doesn't double the meaning.

Come on, don't play games with me. The only thing I don't know is why the Han river is called the Han river.
The state of Yue in the Warring States period of China was near present-day Shanghai. Their king was the prince of Shaokang, the emperor of the Xia Dynasty. They were Han people.

To the south of the state of Yue is the state of SanYi, not the state of Nanyue. The state of Yue perished in 222 BC.
The Nanyue state did not appear until 204 BC. Its emperor was zhaotuo, a general of the Qin Dynasty, who was also a Han nationality.

Last edited:
The state of Yue in the Warring States period of China was near present-day Shanghai. Their king was the prince of Shaokang, the emperor of the Xia Dynasty. They were Han people.

To the south of the state of Yue is the state of SanYi, not the state of Nanyue. The Nanyue state did not appear until 204 BC. Its emperor was zhaotuo, a general of the Qin Dynasty, who was also a Han nationality.
That's the point, Triệu Đà/Zhao Tuo call it Nam Việt/Nanyue because it's the South of the old Việt/Yue state, or it means the Southern Yue people.
The Nam Việt state by Triệu Đà actually encompasses Guangdong and houses a mixture of Hán and Việt people.

At that point, the 漢 in 漢奸 in means a Han person.
It doesn't mean "evil/cunning good/brave person", that's a contradiction.
The Qing emperor was a Manchu. Of course, he would call us Han people according to the habits of the Manchus. But the real right title is HuaXia(华夏).

After the fall of the Qing Dynasty, ROC once again called us HuaXia. The Chinese writing of ROC is "中华民国". After the demise of the ROC, the PRC continued to call us HuaXia. The Chinese writing of the PRC is "中华人民共和国". Notice that they all use the word "华".

Cantonese actually has 9 tones. English has no tones and it works way better than Vietnamese with the Latin alphabets. Nan Yue was a Chinese state. The lands used to be inhabited by tribes called the hundred yue (that was the name the Chinese gave them, we don’t know what they called themselves) until the Chinese conquered it. The Chinese called it nanyue because it was lands in the south beyond the boarder. Eventually it was combined with other territories to create the province of Guangdong. Vietnam used to be under the jurisdiction of Guangdong until it got its independence. It was force to change its name because it was no longer considered Chinese territory . So instead of being 南越southern yue, it became 越南 south of yue.

That's the point, Triệu Đà/Zhao Tuo call it Nam Việt/Nanyue because it's the South of the old Việt/Yue state, or it means the Southern Yue people.
The Nam Việt state by Triệu Đà actually encompasses Guangdong and houses a mixture of Hán and Việt people.

First of all, Nanyue is a country whose ruling group is the Han nationality. South Vietnam rules Vietnam, not Vietnam. It's like India was once part of Britain, not Britain was part of India.

Secondly, the core area of Nanyue is the Guangdong and Guangxi regions. At that time, it was indeed a mixed area of Han and Yue. However, the Yue people in Guangdong were Yuyue people(于越), and the Yue people in Guangxi were Ouyue people(瓯越). They were descendants of the Chinese Yan Emperor, a branch of the Han nationality.
However, the Vietnamese are Luoyue people(骆越). At that time, Luoyue people had no Chinese origin and their ancestors were Pu people.

@Yaoudelizard English doesn't work as accurate as Vietnamese due to the amount of latin, germanic and french loanwords, the a in some English word is pronounced differently than the a in other English words.

@MH.Yang Vietnam history doesn't consider Nam Việt to be a vietnamese dynasty, because it's ruled by foreigners (Han).
I find it funny though, because Yuan and Qing dynasties are considered chinese dynasties yet they are ruled by Mongol and Manchu respectively. Vietnam and China are multi-ethnic states, not dominated by a single entity.
Either ways, it doesn't matter if Nam Việt is considered to be a vietnam dynasty or not, what matters is that the origin of Việt Nam comes from Nam Việt, and not a literal translation of "Surpassing the South".

Also, as you said it yourself
"The word "汉奸" first appeared in the sixth part of the work <周易衍义> by Hu Zhen, a historian of the Yuan Dynasty."
This means by the times of the Yuan dynasty, Hoa people already considers themselves Hán people.

Mandarin is the official language for China so that is the standard everyone goes by. It’s the same in many other countries, Spain has many regional dialects but only one dialect is used as the official language of Spain. In terms of pinyin the accents for tones are also used. There are 4 in total. The problem is there there are more than 4 variation of for example the word Cao. There is actually about 30 words pronounced Cao and many sharing the same tone. So with the Latin alphabet even with the use of tones there will be many words spelled the same way with the exact same tone accents. Cao in Chinese starts with a “c” sound not ”th”, there’s no reason to change how a word is pronounced just to fit an alphabet that’s not designed for the language. Vietnamese being a tonal language share a lot of the same features and the same issues when using a Latin alphabet. You’re using Cáo Cāo as an example for translating into Vietnamese which isn’t right, just because 2 words sounds the same in Chinese doesn’t mean those words sound the same in Vietnamese. Take Thanh for example it means both blue and sound in Vietnamese. Thành means both castle and sincere. Completely different meanings spelled the same way with same accents.

If you want to create a language from ground up the Koreans did it right. They created their own characters that represent the unique sounds in their language. In Vietnamese you try to recreate sounds that no one else has with letters that represent foreign sounds. The results are quite Frankensteinish. The Koreans did it, not sure why you guys couldn’t.
Exactly, the more tones the harder to use phonetic system. Vietnamnese is probably more suited for Han characters, if they use roman phonetics, it would probably screw them up.

@Yaoudelizard English doesn't work as accurate as Vietnamese due to the amount of latin, germanic and french loanwords, the a in some English word is pronounced differently than the a in other English words.

@MH.Yang Vietnam history doesn't consider Nam Việt to be a vietnamese dynasty, because it's ruled by foreigners (Han).
I find it funny though, because Yuan and Qing dynasties are considered chinese dynasties yet they are ruled by Mongol and Manchu respectively. Vietnam and China are multi-ethnic states, not dominated by a single entity.
Either ways, it doesn't matter if Nam Việt is considered to be a vietnam dynasty or not, what matters is that the origin of Việt Nam comes from Nam Việt, and not a literal translation of "Surpassing the South".

"The word "汉奸" first appeared in the sixth part of the work <周易衍义> by Hu Zhen, a historian of the Yuan Dynasty."
This means by the times of the Yuan dynasty, Hoa people already considers themselves Hán people.
Hua and Han are two different concepts. Han only came into usage after Han dynasty, HuaXia is used since the founding of our nation by Huangdi and Yandi, thats why we are known as the descendants of Yan and Huang. Vietnamnese were originally brown Champas until the Tues moved south and mixed with them. Vietnamnese is a subset of admixed Yue and not the Yue is a subset of Vietnam. You are South of Yue not Southern Yue. Your name is already given by our emperor 400 years ago.

Last edited:
That just demonstrates your ignorance on language.
Vietnamese language has 6 tones, Cantonese has 6 while Mandarin has 4, all their romanized forms use the diacritics to separate the tones.
The difference is Vietnamese is formed by acknowledging how latin alphabet actually sounds like unlike piyin.
For example, the famous 曹操 is romanized as Cao Cao in piyin, while in Vietnamese, he's Tào Tháo, the two words are shown as different.
Similar to how 秦 is Qin in piyin but Tần in Vietnamese, and 清 is Qing in piyin but Thanh in Viet, again showing clear difference.

Learners of English are unable to pronoun piyin correctly just by looking at the characters while they can with Vietnamese.
Cantonese actually has 9 tones. English has no tones and it works way better than Vietnamese with the Latin alphabets. Nan Yue was a Chinese state. The lands used to be inhabited by tribes called the hundred yue (that was the name the Chinese gave them, we don’t know what they called themselves) until the Chinese conquered it. The Chinese called it nanyue because it was lands in the south beyond the boarder. Eventually it was combined with other territories to create the province of Guangdong. Vietnam used to be under the jurisdiction of Guangdong until it got its independence. It was force to change its name because it was no longer considered Chinese territory . So instead of being 南越southern yue, it became 越南 south of yue.
Cantonese have 8 tones of sound actually.....

I should say if you are trying to sound out Cantonese word. But if you break down the tone on paper, then it's either 9 or 6. Depends on which system you use.

Last edited:

Hu Zhen was indeed the first person to use the word "汉奸" in the Yuan Dynasty. But he is a historical record official, "汉奸" in the Yuan Dynasty refers to the traitor ministers who betrayed the emperor in the Han Dynasty, not the Chinese who betrayed China. The original text is as follows:
李固欲去汉奸而反遭羣小之毒吝也,然志在去奸,于义何咎。

"汉奸" here refers to Liang Ji, a general of the Han Dynasty.

Please note that it refers to the treacherous Minister of the emperor of the Han Dynasty.

The yuan and Qing Dynasties were certainly one of China's dynasties.

First of all, the capital of the two dynasties was Beijing, the traditional territory of the Han nationality. Most of the officials of the two dynasties were Han Chinese.

Secondly, the Mongols and Manchus are now one of the 56 ethnic groups in China, especially the Manchus. Their ancestors were the Dongyi people(东夷), and they were originally a branch of the HuaXia people. As I said earlier, three of the eight ancestors of China(三皇五帝) are not Han people, but Jiuli people(九黎) and Dongyi people(东夷).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom