What's new

Crackdown: Has the Punjab Food Authority's raid on eateries gone too far?

Thunder Bolt

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
55d58f2caf1c5.jpg

Have you heard of the ‘Dabangg lady’?

That's what the Punjab Food Authority's now-very-popular Director of Operations, Ayesha Mumtaz, is being called on social media.

In case you hadn't noticed, the Punjab Food Authority(PFA) has been going around Lahore fining, warning and sealing any establishment dealing with food that are found in 'unsatisfactory' (read unhygienic) conditions – from high-end, expensive restaurants to low-end, small food businesses. The authority claims it is doing this to create awareness not only about the food people were being served, but also about hygiene, sanitation and cleanliness at restaurants, food factories and cafes.

Eating out is a very important part of Lahori lifestyle, primarily for a lack of recreational activities in the city. In fact, before cinemas popped up in Lahore this was probably the only thing people could do to get out of the house, either with family or friends. And while relishing all kinds of experiences from fine dining to drinking tea at dhabas, one would generally not pay much attention to how the food was prepared or what ingredients were used — out of sight, out of mind was the attitude, and if the food tasted delicious, that's all that mattered.

But not anymore. Not since the very efficient Punjab Food Authority stepped in.

Also read: Food authority’s ‘efficiency’ irks outlet managers

The results of PFA's raids are publicised on PFA’s Facebook page, complete with pictures of the ‘filth’ found at the places it shuts down. High-profile hotels like Pearl Continental and Avari Hotels have been fined, as have swanky restaurants like Pallilos Courtyard and Freddy's Cafe. Fast food chains like the Hardee's and Fatburger on M. M. Alam Road have been sealed. Even the OPTP kiosk outside the Mall of Lahore was sealed due to the continued use of low quality potatoes despite a verbal warning.

Its not something that I can complain about even if it is taken too far, even if they seal a restaurant for the slightest excuse, the m,management will try to avoid being caught on such grounds in the future, thus paving the way for a healthier eating experience. Some of the places they busted were so filthy, I wouldn't feed stray dogs the stuff they were making.

Food inspection teams were very active during Musharaf era. Good to see they are active again. Hope it continues in future and it should be not for showbazi. ..
They need to spend time in other cities and villages too. Give full authority to inspection teams for fine and seal the disgusting restaurants & shops everywhere.

Owners are complaining because they are chor, this is the best thing happening in Lahore ritenow, thereis no excuse for cooking with things that could kill your customers.

Yes it has gone too far in the right direction.

Its not something that I can complain about even if it is taken too far, even if they seal a restaurant for the slightest excuse, the m,management will try to avoid being caught on such grounds in the future, thus paving the way for a healthier eating experience. Some of the places they busted were so filthy, I wouldn't feed stray dogs the stuff they were making.

I would say it is still very little, and it should be in each and every corner of Pakistan.

Nothing is more important than hygienic food served to the people. Cleaning the mess will result in more people eating outside confidently and an increase in food tourism.

Food tourism is as equal as any other form of tourism. We can beat UAE (as an example) which spends money to attract the millions of foreign tourists annually and generate revenue and support the economy.

We can beat UAE by many folds hands down by just local food tourism. Add to that, just imagine if law and order, security situation gets to be looked after in the same way as these health inspections, then foreigners will also be willing to come and try the food tourism in Pakistan.

after looking at whats the reality of the places where I had been eating from......I'm quite pleased that they uncovered this mess !!!

I believe it was essential a long time ago :cheers:...other provincial governments should take the same steps too

They should go even further!! In the UK every food outlet (take away, restaurant) has a hygiene rating posted on its front door so that customers know beforehand the quality of food that they will get (see image below) and this automatically encourages people to avoid low quality food outlets. I suggest the Punjab government go for something similar.

foodhygieneratingscheme.jpg

Like the point of Food tourism raised above! This needs to be expanded thru out Pakistan.

If you are asking for 400-500 bucks for simple food item , it should be worth it in terms of cleanness and taste

Not a single one us will eat intentional what they selling .... Good Show by Ayesha Mumtaz

its like ole operations of army in Karachi... they swiftly tried to clean up the city which resulted in protest and pressure on govt.. anyway after faislabad protests, if lahore is "lit" up with same protest from business society, it will definitely halt PFAuthority.. she shd know the rule ""thanda kar k khao" for effective result..
anyway lawmakers are not obliged to follow "rule" as otherwise it gives birth to "nazria zaroorat"

or it will give pujnajb got profit like singh govt did with water filtration plants... when the are in "mood" of taking moey.. they raid water filtration plants, cancel their licenses then people protest in response.. so govt then on excuse of "relaxation" revive license but by taking "money" from filtration owners.

Back
Top Bottom