What's new

CPEC not for Balochistan development: Mengal

Thousands from centuries? Pakistan is roughly 70 years old. So the award goes to British but then again without ample evidence I can't even blame them :(

To blame anyone for that matter can we have an evidence that thousands if not million tribes were expelled from their own land
He is probably referring to tribal culture of Balochistan. There was an incident about 30-40 years ago when one tribe expelled the entire community of another tribe consisting of around 125,000 if my memory is correct and during the era of Musharraf they forced that tribe to resettle in Balochistan... to their home towns and it caused a lot of rage amongst the Baloch tribes who had expelled them... just one example of many

QUETTA - Balochistan National Party chief Sardar Akhtar Mengal yesterday said multibillion CPEC project is not meant for the progress of Balochistan; instead, it will transform the Baloch nation into a minority on their own soil.

Addressing the oath-taking ceremony of Balochistan National Party’s newly elected office bearers at Baba-i-Nushki Cricket Ground, Sardar Akhtar Mengal strongly criticised the multibillion China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) uplift schemes, terming them a conspiracy against the Baloch nation.

“We are not seeing any development. Even our people do not have access to hospitals for treatment, not to speak of development,” lamented Mengal. He also expressed reservations over the CPEC and the census which he termed a conspiracy to convert the Baloch nation into a minority.

The BNP chief smelt plots against the Baloch people in Balochistan to expel them from their native soil, adding conspiracies were being hatched in the province since the inception of Pakistan in 1947.

Nothing else was being done on the pretext of development for the people of the province. Only new employment opportunities were being created for the Punjab by building railway lines, infrastructure and power projects to offer new vistas of job opportunities for the people of the biggest province, former Balochistan chief minister Sardar Mengal said.

He alleged the Punjab rulers were exploiting the resources of other units for their own interest. “The Punjab is looting resources of the small provinces for its own interest,” claimed Akhtar Mengal. He said: “We do not ask anything from the Punjab, but want ownership of all the resources of Balochistan.” He added the people of Balochistan, and not Sardars and Nawabs, deserved and owned these resources.

The BNP chief urged the people of Balochistan to forge unity in their ranks and make all-out efforts to end injustice to the province. BNP District President Nazir Baloch, Mir Sanaullah Jamaldini and others also addressed the ceremony.

http://nation.com.pk/national/26-Feb-2017/cpec-not-for-balochistan-development-mengal
@RealNapster @Djinn @Signalian @war&peace @tps77 did you guys know that to suppress the local Baloch layman , the fuedals don't let the provincial govt to hire police officers to maintain law and order ! Instead they insist on having levies paid by the federal govt ?

That same defecto police force which is not accountable to any of the provincial departments including the Baloch Police department :o: Now i want to become a Punjabi Sardar , mjy nae pta :(

He is referring to tribal cultures of Balochistan. There was an incident about 30-40 years ago when one tribe expelled the entire community of another tribe consisting of around 125,000 if my memory is correct and during the era of Musharraf they forced that tribe to resettle in Balochistan... to their home towns and it caused a lot of rage amongst the Baloch tribes who had expelled them... just one example of many
Kalpar tribe ! It was general musharaf who left no stone unturned in their rehabilitation on the same land from where they were expelled ----

Balochistan budget for 2016 is Rs282 billon, I'm sure development is happening despite corruption. This doesn't even include CPEC/Federal projects which are separate from Balochistan budget. By far highest budget on per capita basis.

Thousands from centuries? Pakistan is roughly 70 years old. So the award goes to British but then again without ample evidence I can't even blame them :(

Inter tribal conflict in Balouchistan has pushed hundreds and thousands of Balouch tribes in to Punjab. I know many people from South western Punjab who have Balouch background, while many tribes voluntarily migrated in to the Punjab, many others were expelled due to infighting with other tribes.

We only saw a recent reincarnation of it during Bugti the traitors rise when his tribesmen forced others out who Musharraf brought back.

@RealNapster @Djinn @Signalian @war&peace @tps77 did you guys know that to suppress the local Baloch layman , the fuedals don't let the provincial govt to hire police officers to maintain law and order ! Instead they insist on having levies paid by the federal govt ?

That same defecto police force which is not accountable to any of the provincial departments including the Baloch Police department :o: Now i want to become a Punjabi Sardar , mjy nae pta :(

FC sounds good but Levis in 2017 sounds weird. why use levis when you have an established Police department, ?
and this
the fuedals don't let the provincial govt to hire police officers to maintain law and order ! Instead they insist on having levies

is the answer to my question.

Kalpar tribe ! It was general musharaf who left no stone unturned in their rehabilitation on the same land from where they were expelled ----

From what I've heard is that feud was because of gas royalties which was being given to Akbar Bugti while land belonged to Kalpars who are also sub tribe of Bugtis? I don't know much about this issue. In either case royalties should go to provincial kitty and not sardars.

did you guys know that to suppress the local Baloch layman , the fuedals don't let the provincial govt to hire police officers to maintain law and order ! Instead they insist on having levies paid by the federal govt ?

Frankly speaking Akhtar Mengal has a valid point and I don't fully disagree with him.

The biggest component of CPEC is power plants. On paper Balochistan gets around 3000mw of electricity which is much more than their requirement but then you realise that the biggest project of Gaddani power project is already cancelled and the HUB power project is transmitting electricity to Sindh. So what do Balochistan get? The GoP and GoB needs electricity in Gwadar so this tiny 300mw which is already called unfeasible is likely to go ahead for the sake of port of Gwadar but for rest of the province its a dream based on hypothetical scenarios like the internal resources will do this n that...

I do agree however that Balochistan is the biggest beneficiary of infrastructure projects and is likely to create plenty of jobs in industrialisation process

Inter tribal conflict in Balouchistan has pushed hundreds and thousands of Balouch tribes in to Punjab. I know many people from South western Punjab who have Balouch background, while many tribes voluntarily migrated in to the Punjab, many others were expelled due to infighting with other tribes.

We only saw a recent reincarnation of it during Bugti the traitors rise when his tribesmen forced others out who Musharraf brought back.
Technically we have over 20 million Baloch in Pakistan but due to their own differences most of them relocated to Punjab and Sindh as they don't fear same amount of issues in other provinces compared to their homeland besides the fact that Punjab and Sindh being argricultural and semi industrialised states since centuries were always able to create more job opportunities so many of educated Baloch were able to secure such places due to lesser degree of discrimination

Technically we have over 20 million Baloch in Pakistan but due to their own differences most of them relocated to Punjab and Sindh as they don't fear same amount of issues in other provinces compared to their homeland besides the fact that Punjab and Sindh being argricultural and semi industrialised states since centuries were always able to create more job opportunities so many of educated Baloch were able to secure such places due to lesser degree of discrimination

There are also millions of them in Sindh, the Sindhi-Balouch. Have many of them in my extended family.

Last edited:
Frankly speaking Akhtar Mengal has a valid point and I don't fully disagree with him.

The biggest component of CPEC is power plants. On paper Balochistan gets around 3000mw of electricity which is much more than their requirement but then you realise that the biggest project of Gaddani power project is already cancelled and the HUB power project is transmitting electricity to Sindh. So what do Balochistan get? The GoP and GoB needs electricity in Gwadar so this tiny 300mw which is already called unfeasible will go ahead regardless because of the electricity needs in port of Gwadar. So the city of Gwadar does get electricity thanks to port of Gwadar but for rest of the province its a dream based on hypothetical scenarios like the internal resources will do this n that...
Electricity is a provincial subject after the 18th amendment since 2010 . So the cancellation of gaddani project negates mengans accusations on the federal govt . If they can get hefty perks and designations from the federal govt for their near and dear ones why not pursue this gaddani project? Oh wait why does it concern a feudal chief minister ? When he has electricity generators at his disposal . His estate wont be facing any short fall of power. And the kids would already be taking education from a military cadet college in kpk /punjab away from their not so human Baloch folks :)

Last edited:

The biggest component of CPEC is power plants. On paper Balochistan gets around 3000mw of electricity which is much more than their requirement but then you realise that the biggest project of Gaddani power project is already cancelled and the HUB power project is transmitting electricity to Sindh. So what do Balochistan get? The GoP and GoB needs electricity in Gwadar so this tiny 300mw which is already called unfeasible will go ahead regardless because of the electricity needs in port of Gwadar. So the city of Gwadar does get electricity thanks to port of Gwadar but for rest of the province its a dream based on hypothetical scenarios like the internal resources will do this n that...

What valid point? What's the responsibility of Govt. of Baluchistan? Where it's budget + extra share from NFC award goes?

These so call Baluch leader are the main cause of backwardness, in fact most of them are foreign educated but still living in 10 century to maintain their grip over the poor people.

Best way to educate the populous to gt them out of their corrupt leaders
upload_2017-3-1_16-16-42.png

upload_2017-3-1_16-16-42.png

Electricity is a provincial subject after the 18th amendment since 2010 . So the cancellation of gaddani project negates mengans accusations on the federal govt . If they can get hefty perks and designations from the federal govt for their near and dear ones why not pursue this gaddani project? Oh wait why does it concern a feudal chief minister ? When he has electricity generators at his disposal . His estate wont be facing any short fall of power. And the kids would already be taking education from a military cadet college in kpk /punjab away from the their not so human Baloch folks :)
Not at all

CPEC is a federal government subject with little say for the provincial governments. Nawaz Sharif was the champion of Gadani power project until the Chinese backed off calling it unfeasible and the federal government decided to allow the same location for Oil refinery.

The GoP couldn't have handled such a mega project which would have been equivalent of their GDP

What valid point? What's the responsibility of Govt. of Baluchistan? Where it's budget + extra share from NFC award goes?
He is talking about CPEC and not the due share of budget of Balochistan which is an internal kind of thing

What NFC award did is, they reformulated the way the share of provincial governments used to be calculated so they counted more factors than just population such as the size of the province, poverty etc... if my memory is correct

But this thread is not about the budget of Punjab vs Balochistan or Sindh... its about CPEC and the fact is, Balochistan isn't getting many power projects after the biggest power project tipped to supply electricity across Balochistan is already shelved

Back
Top Bottom