What's new

Construction of Pak Navy's first MILGEM-class ship begins

pn-milgem-01--1170x785.jpg

The image is an actual Ada class corvette, VLS and Gökdeniz ciws was photoshopped. I still think the final dimensions will be bigger than Ada class.

I have asked this question so many times I have lost count

and PN is very ignorant like the Chinese with regards to naval rotary wing

a helicopter on a warship is submarines captains worst nightmare just short of a another submarine

US destroyers all have double hangers and the helicopter to warship ratio is the highest in the world

China has warships and very little naval helicopters in fact they don’t even have a naval helicopter brigade

what are our options? No Chinese since they either have Z18 or Z9C we need something in between, Z20 is not ready and China have 2 x LHD to fill

US also I am totally against

Only choice is European, which medium sized European helicopter has the best range and endurance?

also we should get a rotary UAV which can also be installed in the side hanger on the Type 054A, for when the main helicopter lands and we need around the clock coverage some Italian opitions are available

all these new ships coming to PN worth billions and a small investment in 12 or so helicopters will ensure huge leap in ASW capability and the survival of the warships

helicopters helicopters helicopters warships should be packed with them they are excellent ASW platforms

I have been saying this before, PN Helicopter fleet is in a dire state. Alouttes are finished, Sea King, even with upgrade, is very old. Also too big for Corvette. Z-9C is OK, but maybe not compatible with Western systems. Ideally we need SH-60 Seahawk but this is US so PN will not go for it. My guess is they will try and Navalise a version of AW139 that PAF has

only reasonable thing is educating more sailors , if you you have plan to expand your navy it is good otherwise risking more 40 souls is not good

Could be we station a platoon of Marines/SSG on the ships if/when needed

I have been saying this before, PN Helicopter fleet is in a dire state. Alouttes are finished, Sea King, even with upgrade, is very old. Also too big for Corvette. Z-9C is OK, but maybe not compatible with Western systems. Ideally we need SH-60 Seahawk but this is US so PN will not go for it. My guess is they will try and Navalise a version of AW139 that PAF has
Leonardo offered the AW159. I guess at one point they had hoped the engine commonality with the PAA's ATAK could have steered the PN to AW159. It's unlikely the PN would go that route now.

I wouldn't be surprised at a navalized AW139.

That said, what about the AW149? It's as close as the PN can get to the UH-60/S-70-class helicopter in terms of size (troop carrying, sensor load, defensive aid suite load, etc). Leonardo can navalize that too...

I have asked this question so many times I have lost count

and PN is very ignorant like the Chinese with regards to naval rotary wing

a helicopter on a warship is submarines captains worst nightmare just short of a another submarine

US destroyers all have double hangers and the helicopter to warship ratio is the highest in the world

China has warships and very little naval helicopters in fact they don’t even have a naval helicopter brigade

what are our options? No Chinese since they either have Z18 or Z9C we need something in between, Z20 is not ready and China have 2 x LHD to fill

US also I am totally against

Only choice is European, which medium sized European helicopter has the best range and endurance?

also we should get a rotary UAV which can also be installed in the side hanger on the Type 054A, for when the main helicopter lands and we need around the clock coverage some Italian opitions are available

all these new ships coming to PN worth billions and a small investment in 12 or so helicopters will ensure huge leap in ASW capability and the survival of the warships

helicopters helicopters helicopters warships should be packed with them they are excellent ASW platforms
good to see that other people think like this too. even indian warships have 2 hangars and two helicopters

View attachment 638465
The image is an actual Ada class corvette, VLS and Gökdeniz ciws was photoshopped. I still think the final dimensions will be bigger than Ada class.

it could easily be bigger by 6 meters, i expect the dimention of pakistan light frigate could be 106 meters and 2700 tons compare to Ada that is 99.5 meters and 2400 tons. while PN will use them as light frigate and Damen OPV upscaled to corvette to be used as corvette by PN.

you don’t have budget to run large navy nor you’ve money to buy hardcore stuff ... period
there are many types of budget if you know what i am talking about, one kind is the one shown to the public and there is a under table budget as well that we can utilize for the purchase.

View attachment 638465
As per Turkish sources, J-class will have elongated hull, longer endurance, and will have 2800 Tons displacement.
It means, J-class is actually bigger than Milgum class in terms of size, and definitely will be equipped with more variety of weapon systems.

I honestly have no knowledge about this so i will refrain from speculating. Do you have any idea if any options are being considered? What are they?
I have no idea. My speculation hints a combination of AW-139 and AW-101. All I know is that we are seeking new and modern helicopters in order to meet our navy's future demands. Type, timeline, numbers, price.... I don't know.

As per Turkish sources, J-class will have elongated hull, longer endurance, and will have 2800 Tons displacement.
It means, J-class is actually bigger than Milgum class in terms of size, and definitely will be equipped with more variety of weapon systems.
Yea if that is the case, J-Class is a lot closer to the I-Class.

The question is... is J-Class = PN MILGEM #1-4 -- or -- PN MILGEM #4 only?

Technically, it doesn't seem like adding VLS to the MILGEM is possible without lengthening it, so if all 4 PN MILGEMs have VLS (as hinted with PN MILGEM #1 having VLS), then all 4 PN MILGEMs = J-Class.

I have no idea. My speculation hints a combination of AW-139 and AW-101. All I know is that we are seeking new and modern helicopters in order to meet our navy's future demands. Type, timeline, numbers, price.... I don't know.
I was told the PN preferred getting something like MH-60R/S-70. Basically, one type of helicopter to operate from any of our ships and from land (replacing Sea King). But MH-60R isn't available, so the other ideal option was NH-90NFH, but it might have issues (technical faults, high cost, etc). I think a navalized AW149/AW189K is possible.

Technically, it doesn't seem like adding VLS to the MILGEM is possible without lengthening it,
It is possible, just it is not preffered. Ada class wasn't designed with a VLS at the first step and it was avoided while deriving the I Class, extension was preffered for convenience. we might see VLS in MLU upgrade.
Peripheral VLS can ease this. But not sure if US is willing to sale it or whether it is ESSM compatible.

J-class will have elongated hull
Yes, i have been telling that in other threads. I dont think the extension for VLS would result in 400 tonnes of difference. This means, for diesel engines some space is needed at the midship, thus there is going to be more space for SSM as well.
I Class is actually an Ada Class with extended hull.
Judging the difference J-Class will have less range than I-Class.
I am rather expecting to hear about the engines, will it be MTU or French?

it could easily be bigger by 6 meters, i expect the dimention of pakistan light frigate could be 106 meters and 2700 tons compare to Ada that is 99.5 meters and 2400 tons. while PN will use them as light frigate and Damen OPV upscaled to corvette to be used as corvette by PN.
It depends whether the draught will change or remain the same. 160 tonnes of I class was gained by sinkage. Remaining 440 was by extension. Keeping the draught same (3.90) , J class will have about 112 meters in length, sinking alone provides 130 tonnes (assuming length to be 99). If 400 tonnes increase is accurate we may expect 108 meters with slight more sinkage (3.95-4)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom