What's new

Construction of Pak Navy's first MILGEM-class ship begins

they have 460+ multirole 4-4.5 Gen fighters against your odd 36 BLK52 and BLK15 MLU ... you still have your freedom after 27 Feb. However, they’ve lost respect, humiliated and got massive criticism globally after there supa dupa mil might performance last year...
460 out of which 200 are most probably not combat ready as per their current condition / performance. We also have jf17 and yes in 120+ quantity and more block 3 variants coming we are fine Alhamdulillah. We are defensive force not offensive yet we have mini offensive force sized armed forces.

Excessive long construction time should have been 1 year 1 ship delivered
Wait time for 4-5 years for a ship is too long for Corvette class ship

And the questions lingers on,, what exactly will be PAKISTAN'S Milgem Class boat!
Is it Ada Class Corvette OR the Istanbul Class Frigate?
As per the information available so far, it seems like Pakistan's Jinnah Class corvette will be something in between Turkish Milgem project Ada class corvettes and the Istanbul class frigates. The displacement closer to Ada class BUT with more weaponry!!
The authorities have unsurprisingly but frustratingly (for us people) been very tight lipped on this. Little will be reveleid and once the ship is delivered we will get to know better (even at that time more by looking at the images than official statements)

Another totally different information circulating around is that while the first two OR may be even three will be closer to Ada Class Corvettes (if not entirely similar) the fourth ship will be designed and built entirely in Pakistan (third one will be built in Pak too but this fourth one will be DESIGNED AND BUILT) and this fourth one will be a frigate (a modified Istanbul class frigate they say).

Now these are two different opinions, you can agree with either one of these of even disagree with both but that is about all that we know so far.

NOTE:
Another interesting and VERY IMPORTANT question will be, what ASW Helicopters is PN planning to used with these. Are we going to see more Z-9, will there be some interest in NH-60? Used Sea Kings or other similar platforms? Any considerations for Army and Air Force using AW-139 so something based on that? OR will we be stuck with the old existing fleet for time being.

@Bilal Khan (Quwa) @Bilal Khan 777 @aziqbal @fatman17 @Dazzler
I believe that 4th J-class will share same relationship with earlier three ships as the one shared by 4th Azmat class FACM with earlier three FACMs. I doubt there will be any comprehensive difference between first three ships and the last one.

As per helicopters, we haven't finalized any option yet. Chances are high that we will field new helicopters of Western origin.

Another totally different information circulating around is that while the first two OR may be even three will be closer to Ada Class Corvettes (if not entirely similar) the fourth ship will be designed and built entirely in Pakistan (third one will be built in Pak too but this fourth one will be DESIGNED AND BUILT) and this fourth one will be a frigate (a modified Istanbul class frigate they say).
Screen grab from the video posted in official tweet
Jinnah Class Frigate Keel Laying Ceremony[4-6-2020].jpg

this mean all four under this order would be Jinnah Class ....

Screen grab from the video posted in official tweet
View attachment 638258

this mean all four under this order would be Jinnah Class ....
Absolutely. All these four ships are to be called Jinnah Class Frigates. The question is what the Jinnah class frigate be? Will it be Ada class corvette or Istanbul class frigate? Remember that at 2300 tons the ada class corvette can also easily be called Jinnah Class frigate by PN so the name really tells us nothing.

I believe that 4th J-class will share same relationship with earlier three ships as the one shared by 4th Azmat class FACM with earlier three FACMs. I doubt there will be any comprehensive difference between first three ships and the last one.
YES! That is one of the two presented options.

Once again, one option deduced from the available information is that all four ships will be something between Ada class corvettes and Istanbul class frigates (design and displacement closer to Ada but some extra weaponry, may be a VLS too)
Second option also deduced from available option (different set of course) indicates that while the first three ships will be of one kind the fourth one will be designed and built in Pakistan and will in fact be the lead shipe of a new line of frigates. Now this do not CONFIRM that the first three will be exactly like Ada Class Corvette and only fourth one will be frigate. It can also mean that while the first three are the ships explained in above option, something between Ada and Istanbul the Fourth one will be even bigger and more displacement and more advance technology will be acquired for it. Note that by the time we reach that point Turkey will be well into the TF-2000 frigates so perhaps the options is to acquire some tech from that and start a new line of frigates and place follow up orders too for similar class.

==================================================================================
Now may take on this, In my opinion, it will all depend on the experience and performance for the first three vessels. If the first three boats which i believe to be something between Ada class corvette and Istanbul class frigate (displacement wise) but with more weapons and most probably a VLS for AAW missiles, perform well and the experience of ToT and joint product is successful, PN will go for fourth ship to be bigger and with tech acquired from TF-2000 frigate project. This fourth boat will then become the lead ship of a new line of frigates that we will order more of. If the whole exp with first three boats is not good then they will build a similar fourth ship as first three and call it a day. The chances of former happening are more than the latter, that is, the option of the fourth ship getting tech from FT-2000 and becoming lead ship of new line of frigates with follow-up orders. I say this because i do not see why this project between Turkey and Pakistan will fail! In fact, i see this partnership to grown stronger and important in future, especially for Navy.

As per helicopters, we haven't finalized any option yet. Chances are high that we will field new helicopters of Western origin.
I honestly have no knowledge about this so i will refrain from speculating. Do you have any idea if any options are being considered? What are they?

I do know that Navy is serious about LRMPA and we may see those in next 2-3 years but there is not much about helicopters that i am aware of.

View attachment 638218

what’s this from the video ?

This is Istanbul shipyard who is also building the I- class FFG

These days when the main block is lowered into the dry dock it’s called keel laying which this is

however what is that in the left, the 2nd Istanbul class? Or the first ?

It’s missing the bow section and and seems to advanced must be the 1st

I expect the launch of the first Istanbul class from this shipyard soon the keel for that was laid in Jan 2017 that’s over 3 years ago

we should have gone for I-class with 32 cell VLS

anyway that’s news

That is the TCG Istanbul.

Absolutely. All these four ships are to be called Jinnah Class Frigates. The question is what the Jinnah class frigate be? Will it be Ada class corvette or Istanbul class frigate? Remember that at 2300 tons the ada class corvette can also easily be called Jinnah Class frigate by PN so the name really tells us nothing.
we can call it enhanced or modified Ada corvette ....

Know About Jinnah Class Frigate | Keel laying ceremony of first MILGEM Class Corvette

Naval classifications are kind of irrelevant. Frigate, corvette, however it is classified its irrelevant. We know capabilities wise, its not on par with the 054A/P as it is a smaller ship, however, it is a very, very capable surface combatant. We will probably see the Z-9EC for ASW.

AW139 naval version

The difficulty of TF2000 is not in ship design and production, but in electronic systems used in it. Turkey hopes to finish the project such as the one in 2027 that tested the radar even 1 and half years ago. Don't view ships only as pieces of iron.

Back
Top Bottom